The Student Room Group

UCAS Extra 2016 - **FAQ**

What is Extra?
The Extra application route is for people who have either received no offers or have declined the ones they did get, and who have no choices left to use. See UCAS Extra and the TSR Wiki.

How does it work?
From 25 February until 2 July, the UCAS course listings will show which universities/courses are still accepting applications. Your Track screen will show whether you are eligible to use Extra. If you are, you will be able to make a further choice up until 2 July. However, you should always check with the uni first to make sure the listing is correct, and also whether they will accept a revised PS/updated predictions etc, particularly important if you are applying for a different course from your original choices. After 2 July the course listings still show which unis were still in Extra at that point but no more applications can be submitted through that route.

How do I find out what's in Extra?
Go to UCAS Course Search, complete the boxes as appropriate, and choose "show courses in Extra" from the menu on the left hand side. If you want to narrow your search right down, you can use a course code rather title in the 'course' box.

Sometimes it seems from the UCAS listings that a uni will accept a new application, but won't consider someone applying through the Extra route. If in doubt, ring and check. Unis can close a course at any time, but presumably can also 're-open' it, for example if more people than they expect decline offers already issued. There's nothing to stop you from ringing a uni to check whether this could happen for a particular course, but use your common sense. The 'closed' status clearly isn't going to change at LSE for economics :smile:. **the listings in the first day or two of Extra in particular can be very inaccurate, so don't take anything you see at face value**
Anyone can check the Extra listings; you do not have to be eligible to apply through Extra to be able to see what's there.

Do unis lower the entry requirements for courses in Extra?
No. In general, universities do not lower entry requirements until Clearing, and not necessarily then. At this (Extra) stage, universities are still looking to fill vacancies with candidates who meet their stated requirements. After all, universities asking high grades do so because they reckon they can get enough people to fill their course/s without having to compromise.

Bear in mind that entry requirements do change from year to year, and also there are sometimes differences between what is on UCAS and what is shown on the uni website. It is generally safer to assume whichever is the higher requirement is the correct one, but ring or email the uni and check if in doubt.

How long does it take to get a reply to an Extra choice?
This varies, but if you do not hear within 21 days you can withdraw and make another choice. Before you do this, though, it is reasonable to ring the uni and ask what's happening. An offer might be in the pipeline! Easter and other holidays can delay decisions, so don't assume that no news is a bad thing.

How do I choose which course to apply for?
In the same way as you did with your first round of choices. Check out How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections. Be flexible and realistic. Remember too that the uni/s you apply to through Extra will be able to see details of your original course and uni choices, as well as your original personal statement.

The course I want to apply for isn't being offered through Extra
Assuming we aren't talking about, for instance, history at Durham, or any course at Oxford or Cambridge, you can try contacting the university in question to see whether they would be interested in an application from you. If they are, the uni can instruct UCAS to open the course in Extra, so that you can enter them as your Extra choice - but only the uni can do this, not UCAS. Do remember that a uni agreeing to consider you as an Extra applicant does not guarantee you an offer.

Should I decline all my offers and go through Extra?
Only if you (a) are very sure that you don't want to take up any of the offers you have and (b) have spoken to the uni/s you have it in mind to apply to through Extra about whether they will consider your application. Declining offers you already have can be a high risk strategy, even if you are predicted ABB or better, and is one to be pursued only if you have carefully considered every other option (for example, asking unis that have made you offers if they will consider you for alternative courses). Remember that you do not have an insurance option if you are an Extra applicant.

Can I use Extra if I've changed my mind about my firm/insurance?
See Changing Your Mind for more information about this. Essentially you need to persuade your firm/insurance to reject you (if your offer is conditional). If you have accepted an unconditional offer, the chances are that you will only be able to negotiate a release into Clearing (the uni can't reject you as there were no conditions to be met).

Since the UCAS site was updated, I have been unable to track down this extract from the 2013 UCAS FAQs, so it may not still be current - certainly worth checking out, though, if this is your situation:

2013 the UCAS FAQ in

Q:I have accepted an offer - can I still use Extra?

A: If you've already accepted an offer, you're not eligible to use Extra. However, it might be possible to decline the offer you have accepted, which would make you eligible.

If you accepted the offer in the last 7 days, contact our Customer Service Unit and one of our advisers can make the change for you. Once all of your offers are declined, you can use Extra.

If you accepted the offer more than 7 days ago, you can only decline the offer with permission from the relevant university. You'll need to contact us first to confirm this is what you'd like to do. You'll then need to contact the universities you have accepted offers with, ask them if you can decline the offer, and ask the university to call us to confirm they are happy for these changes to be made. We can then decline your offers with their permission.

Once all offers are declined and if Extra is still available, you can apply to another choice.

I am a late applicant/have unused choices
The Extra listings are important because they give you a guide as to which unis are still taking applications, but your application does not go through the Extra route itself.

I want to change my Extra choice
You will only be able to change your Extra choice after 21 days from when you made it; you cannot change it sooner.

My Extra choice rejected me
If this happens before 2 July, your Track should show that you can now enter a further Extra choice if you want to. You can wait for Clearing if you prefer.

Can I apply again through Extra to a uni that rejected me?
There's no point in doing so if it's for the same course, and probably not much point for another. Unis will quite often automatically consider you for alternative, related, courses anyway, and if they haven't your chances will be very small. If you wanted to apply for something quite different it might be worth a try but speak to them first (as above).

What about Clearing?
New applications made after 30 June are held over until Clearing; Extra applicants have up until 2 July to make an Extra choice. After that date, all applications are held over until Clearing - you will not be able to enter a choice on your Track.

Other resources:
UCAS Apply 2016 FAQ
Changing your Mind
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

it may be a very silly question about hte system, but i dare to ask ( i live in germany while my daughter is in ireland, 6th year as an exchange student)
my daughter (like many others) did not get any answer from 3 of her chosen universities -
does that mean she is in the "extra round" and maybe in "competition" with a now even larger number of applicants or does have no effect on her application and some universties just take so long to make decisions ?

waiting really makes me nervous .....thanks !
Original post by super-mom
it may be a very silly question about hte system, but i dare to ask ( i live in germany while my daughter is in ireland, 6th year as an exchange student)
my daughter (like many others) did not get any answer from 3 of her chosen universities -
does that mean she is in the "extra round" and maybe in "competition" with a now even larger number of applicants or does have no effect on her application and some universties just take so long to make decisions ?

waiting really makes me nervous .....thanks !

Not every uni offers places in Extra. Some may do as you describe, but normally, places are only available in Extra if the university is worried it won't the course. It does sometimes take unis a long time to make a decision about applicants with unusual education backgrounds, like your daughter, and some unis are well known for taking a long time to decide (e.g. Bristol).

Don't forget, at this stage, students are starting to chose their firm and insurance choices and declining other choices. If more people decline their offers than the uni expects, that might mean less competition.

Basically, it's very hard to second guess what will happen. Fingers crossed for your daughter.
My original course choice is different from what I want to do now (like, really different). I've written a new personal statement but if I still apply through UCAS then the uni will see my old PS. Do I still need to submit my application through UCAS but then email the uni my new PS statement and explain my situation?
Original post by EllieBowker13
My original course choice is different from what I want to do now (like, really different). I've written a new personal statement but if I still apply through UCAS then the uni will see my old PS. Do I still need to submit my application through UCAS but then email the uni my new PS statement and explain my situation?

You'll always need to apply via UCAS, but you can also contact unis seperately to this.

You could contact the uni and explain you have written an new PS and explain why you have changed your mind. The uni do not have to take this into consideration (they only have to consider what's on your UCAS application) but they can do, and some will want to see your new PS.

I can understand wanting to explain why you've changed your mind, but make sure your new PS is still a traditional PS and you explain any reasoning in the email.

The only exception may be if you now have extenuating circumstances that weren't mentioned in your original application- because of discrimination laws, unis may have to take this into account, even if they disregard any other supplementary information.
I've just submitted my application through Extra . Anyone else?

I'm applying to Kent for Law and Economics
Is it possible to see the courses available on Extra if one has not declined his offers ?
Original post by RickoNctd
Is it possible to see the courses available on Extra if one has not declined his offers ?

You can see the courses technically in Extra on UCAS course search (search for a subject and then tick the filter box to only show Extra courses)
This is explained in the 3rd paragraph down of the first post on this thread.

HOWEVER a lot of universities accidentally leave courses open in Extra when they're actually closed - so you would need to enquire over the phone to double check if they're accepting applications
Original post by PQ
You can see the courses technically in Extra on UCAS course search (search for a subject and then tick the filter box to only show Extra courses)
This is explained in the 3rd paragraph down of the first post on this thread.

HOWEVER a lot of universities accidentally leave courses open in Extra when they're actually closed - so you would need to enquire over the phone to double check if they're accepting applications

Thank you !
i applied for universities WAY to far from where i live and travelling to these unis for interviews has made me realise just how far i'd be away from home and im not the most social person either. i still dont want to be near my home but far enough that im comfortable ive been looking through the courses on ucas extra and surprisingly alot near me and offering the courses i want to do are on there. but is it worth throwing away? i have had two offers already but im only happy with one but i still have interviews to come. somebody help|| please :frown:
bit of a weird one, but do you need to be worried if the course you're firming is available on extra? my course advertised themselves as highly selective, only 15 places, and i don't really want to risk firming it if it wont run?
Reply 11
Original post by cathzeta10
i applied for universities WAY to far from where i live and travelling to these unis for interviews has made me realise just how far i'd be away from home and im not the most social person either. i still dont want to be near my home but far enough that im comfortable ive been looking through the courses on ucas extra and surprisingly alot near me and offering the courses i want to do are on there. but is it worth throwing away? i have had two offers already but im only happy with one but i still have interviews to come. somebody help|| please :frown:
Only you can decide whether to decline the offers you have and/or withdraw from the choices where you haven't had a decision yet. If it helps, you could try contacting the unis in Extra that you might be interested in and sound them out as to whether you'd have a good chance of an offer (no-one will promise). If you are really sure that the choices you currently have are too far away, it may be better to decline/withdraw now so that you can go through Extra. If that doesn't work out, you will still have the option of Clearing in the summer.

Original post by em-robertss
bit of a weird one, but do you need to be worried if the course you're firming is available on extra? my course advertised themselves as highly selective, only 15 places, and i don't really want to risk firming it if it wont run?
No. For one thing, at this stage of the game it could be an error that the course is showing up in Extra. Even if the listing is correct, that doesn't mean numbers are so low that the course won't run. If it's the course you want to do, go for it. I'm calling the expert to tell us what your options would be if you do firm it and the uni decides after all that the course won't run.

@PQ
The UCAS site is so impenetrable that I can't find the bit about what happens these days if you have firmed a course that then doesn't run.
Original post by Minerva
Only you can decide whether to decline the offers you have and/or withdraw from the choices where you haven't had a decision yet. If it helps, you could try contacting the unis in Extra that you might be interested in and sound them out as to whether you'd have a good chance of an offer (no-one will promise). If you are really sure that the choices you currently have are too far away, it may be better to decline/withdraw now so that you can go through Extra. If that doesn't work out, you will still have the option of Clearing in the summer.

Thanks for replying, much appreciated.

Also there are two universities i applied to that i would like to keep on my application - so only change my 3 other choices. these two uni's and the course i applied for are on ucas extra too. I've only been to interview at one of them and the other i have an interview for in a couple of months. the one I had interview gave me an offer I didn't want instead of doing a 3 year degree they suggested I do four. ugh applying to uni is so stressful :s-smilie::frown:
Reply 13
Original post by cathzeta10
Thanks for replying, much appreciated.

Also there are two universities i applied to that i would like to keep on my application - so only change my 3 other choices. these two uni's and the course i applied for are on ucas extra too. I've only been to interview at one of them and the other i have an interview for in a couple of months. the one I had interview gave me an offer I didn't want instead of doing a 3 year degree they suggested I do four. ugh applying to uni is so stressful :s-smilie::frown:
It's all or nothing in Extra - you can't use this route if you are holding any offers and/or have choices for which you have no decisions yet. That means you would have to decline or withdraw from all your current choices before you can become eligible to make another choice through Extra - and you can only make one choice at a time. All you will end up witih through Extra is one offer which you can choose whether to firm; you won't have an insurance.
Hi I want to apply for another course which do interviews. If I apply for this course through extra would I have to go through the whole interview process?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abcdeabcde
Hi I want to apply for another course which do interviews. If I apply for this course through extra would I have to go through the whole interview process?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some universities do interview for courses applied for via Extra. You'd need to contact the universities and see how the process would work and when they might expect you to be available to interview. Sometimes, they may do a phone interview rather than face to face if this would be appropriate.
Original post by em-robertss

Highly selective doesn't mean the course is at risk of not running.

Universities are reminded by UCAS that cancelling a course after opening for applications can have legal implications and are told to get legal advice before they cancel a course.

The guidance to universities says:
Providing advice and assistance

As changes in course provision affect applicants, youshould always make the decision to discontinue course(s)as early as possible. The later you leave the decision,the more difficult it will be for the applicant to secure analternative offer.

You should always consider if it is possible to offer anapplicant another course at your institution.

You should help applicants to obtain a place elsewhere ifthey do not want to accept an alternative place at yourinstitution. At any time during the cycle a duty of care isplaced on you to help applicants in any way possible. Youshould be willing to phone other providers the applicantwishes to be considered at to explain the situation ontheir behalf. You should keep the applicant informed. Itis expected that you advise the applicant of the optionsopen to them and note their intentions.

SO basically if this is likely to happen then the university should have decided already...a university knows which courses are at risk of underrecruiting and which courses they aren't willing to run with a small intake. By the January deadline it's very clear if any courses should be discontinued due to lack of demand in terms of applicants...so if your course was likely to be stopped because they don't have enough applicants then they would have informed you already.

There's another risk point in May/June if a course has enough applications but for some reason not enough applicants select a course as firm.

If you're affected at either of these points then your university is obliged to bend over backwards to help you find a place elsewhere (see the quote above - they're expected to do the ringing around for you!). If you don't want to take up an alternate at your firm or one of your other offers then you can substitute your firm choice (and your firm choice is obliged to do some grovelling to the university you substitute with)
Reply 17
@PQ
Brilliant - thank you!
Reply 18
So extra is only for people that have somehow managed to get rejected for every single one?
Ive had one rejection and wish I could exchange that for something else. Havent made any decisions on my four conditionals yet.
Original post by SJSS
So extra is only for people that have somehow managed to get rejected for every single one?
Ive had one rejection and wish I could exchange that for something else. Havent made any decisions on my four conditionals yet.

It's for people who don't hold any offers from all of their 5 choices.

Either because they didn't get any or because they have decided to decline the offers they've received.

There's no way to substitute a rejection for an additional choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending