The Student Room Group

Why all work experience is good experience if you want a top graduate job.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Really helpful post! REALLY helpful! :h: Thank you for tagging me!

I will get back to your PM soon as well! :kissing2:

no problem holmeo- I await it excitedly.

Also I miss The Weeknd.

I used to hum 'I can't feel my face' every time you posted. :lol:
Original post by Callous Twits
Oh, sorry, I thought he said Hamster Sanctuary - my bad.

:colonhash:
Original post by Ethereal World
Looks like you've had some good work experience yes. How about something more formal in the summer? It might sound like a contradiction to the OP but I guess my overall point would be to have a combination of informal part-time work and formal internships. Can you get a summer placement with a big blue chip that will help you to get into Accenture/IBM?

Also look out for some grad schemes opening in the summer- it's always good to get in early :wink:

Thanks I tried applying for some internships and placements but no luck so far. Do you think they would still consider me for an interview at big companies with my current experience even if I did not find an internship or placement
As a final year mechanical engineering student (4th year), I have to disagree with the importance of part time jobs when it comes to a career in engineering.
I have had a part time job in a supermarket for the first 3 years of my degree, including taking up the job to full time hours in the summers of 1st and 2nd year.
I have attended engineering interviews with big companies. 2 interviews for when I was applying for engineering internships (got one of them in the end), and 3 interviews so far for engineering graduate schemes. The interviewer would usually go with you through your CV asking questions about different parts of your CV in order (from top to bottom), and they always skip anything that is not engineering related.
So the nearly 3 years of part time work I have done never got a mention in any of my interviews.
I also fluently speak two other languages aside from English. That's never got a mention neither.
So my point being that, it might be different for other courses/careers, but for engineering, I would advice to focus on the technical kinds of work experience/jobs/societies/hobbies. These are all what engineering employers will be interested in.
Original post by candyaljamila
As a final year mechanical engineering student (4th year), I have to disagree with the importance of part time jobs when it comes to a career in engineering.
I have had a part time job in a supermarket for the first 3 years of my degree, including taking up the job to full time hours in the summers of 1st and 2nd year.
I have attended engineering interviews with big companies. 2 interviews for when I was applying for engineering internships (got one of them in the end), and 3 interviews so far for engineering graduate schemes. The interviewer would usually go with you through your CV asking questions about different parts of your CV in order (from top to bottom), and they always skip anything that is not engineering related.
So the nearly 3 years of part time work I have done never got a mention in any of my interviews.
I also fluently speak two other languages aside from English. That's never got a mention neither.
So my point being that, it might be different for other courses/careers, but for engineering, I would advice to focus on the technical kinds of work experience/jobs/societies/hobbies. These are all what engineering employers will be interested in.

Well yes, I was only speaking from my experience. I should probably clarify that.

But this is why it is good to set up a discussion- so people like you who have different experiences can bring those to the table which is helpful for everyone.

I think that even if employers don't specifically look at your part-time jobs they will have developed your confidence, ability to interact with people, and this will go far in how you come across in interview, in my opinion.
That French couple should have looked after their own damn baby. Too much like being a servant for me, which is to close to being slave.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
That French couple should have looked after their own damn baby. Too much like being a servant for me, which is to close to being slave.

It was a mutually beneficial relationship in my opinion.

What I gained:

Knowledge that I don't want kids for quite some time yet.
Understanding of how HARD it is to look after children- and not even in the ways you think.
Appreciation - so much appreciation for my Mum. I feel like it made me closer to her :smile:
Valuing my freedom and independence while I can- when I got back I felt like the most free person in the world, yet before things felt heavy. If you get me?

Knowledge that I don't want kids for quite some time yet.
Understanding of how HARD it is to look after children- and not even in the ways you think.
Appreciation - so much appreciation for my Mum. I feel like it made me closer to her :smile:
Valuing my freedom and independence while I can- when I got back I felt like the most free person in the world, yet before things felt heavy. If you get me?

Unless you are some rich couple who can just pay stupid students peanuts to do it for them.

I'm sure that point is mute in some kind of vector addition kind of way. -1 + 1 = 0 :beard:

I think you missed the real understanding of your experience. Class systems! Wiping baby bums is for the plebs :fuhrer:
(edited 8 years ago)
Unless you are some rich couple who can just pay stupid students to do it for them.

Ummm no, that's not necessarily the case. I got paid the equivalent of £80 a week- which worked out at £1.50 per hour- and they weren't that rich. Like I mentioned elsewhere, I'm pretty sure there are tax breaks in France for employing au pairs as well. Note to self: research this.

The mum and me were literally a team together as well for the summer. She wasn't swanning off. It's a slog.
Ummm no, that's not necessarily the case. I got paid the equivalent of £80 a week- which worked out at £1.50 per hour- and they weren't that rich. Like I mentioned elsewhere, I'm pretty sure there are tax breaks in France for employing au pairs as well. Note to self: research this.

The mum and me were literally a team together as well for the summer. She wasn't swanning off. It's a slog.

You were getting up at 4am for them... :indiff:

Most parents do not hire servants to help them with child rearing at home.
Original post by candyaljamila

I don't think the OP suggested you should take up retail type work in lieu of an engineering placement.

Even if it wasn't specifically mentioned during interviews, having at least had part time work is helpful in that it demonstrates that at least you are an employable person. Do you know if you would have had the same success in securing interviews for placements if you had an effectively job-free CV?

Certainly, during an actual technical interview I can understand that they would not want to dwell too much on stacking shelves (unless you design a custom electro-hydraulic device to do it for you) or foreign languages, as the purpose of a technical interview is to gauge your technical ability. I also agree in that in my experience, things outside of the realm of engineering does not get discussed too much except for during HR interviews (and a lot of companies have a fairly minimal type of HR interview or one that's conducted at the same time as the technical interview), but again that does not mean the voluntary and extra curricular work I did was useless - although I do think that people who undertake such activities merely to tick a box may find they don't help them as much as they were led to believe, unless they can really sell the experience.

Given that there are probably a lot more graduate positions than there are directly relevant work experience opportunities I think the OP's advice is solid. Lots of people are going to have to sell their less directly relevant experience in order to secure the jobs they are looking for, and that includes engineering.
If you get me?

You say this way too often.

Constantly seeking validation. Pitiful really.

You were getting up at 4am for them... :indiff:

Most parents do not hire servants to help them with child rearing at home.

They were on an extended summer break- so it was their opportunity to have some time off as well. Until you realise how hard child rearing actually is (which I doubt you do right now) I don't think you should be so disparaging at people who get help with it. Especially as women now want to balance careers with children, they shouldn't be vilified for choosing to get support so that they can be more than just a stay at home mum.

This is the reality of being a mother (or father), but this is specifically about mothers. There is no let up- it is 24/7 and if having me there for 8 weeks helped release that pressure so that they could do their own thing now and again then I completely support that. I mean the video this is about:

[video="youtube;HB3xM93rXbY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3xM93rXbY[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Callous Twits
You say this way too often.

Constantly seeking validation. Pitiful really.

I can't help it :cry:

Apparently according to my rl friends (the very few I have :h:), I always say ... 'if that makes sense?' on the end of what I say. Clearly there are some deep-rooted insecurities going on here. Please psychoanalyse me remotely- I know how much you love that phrase.
They were on an extended summer break- so it was their opportunity to have some time off as well. Until you realise how hard child rearing actually is (which I doubt you do right now) I don't think you should be so disparaging at people who get help with it. Especially as women now want to balance careers with children, they shouldn't be vilified for choosing to get support so that they can be more than just a stay at home mum.

This is the reality of being a mother (or father), but this is specifically about mothers. There is no let up- it is 24/7 and if having me there for 8 weeks helped release that pressure so that they could do their own thing now and again then I completely support that.

[video="youtube;HB3xM93rXbY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3xM93rXbY[/video]

The reality of being a mother (or father) for most mothers and fathers is you don't get 8 weeks help. It;s also pretty common knowledge about how hard it is rearing a baby, I have no first hand experience but I am not an idiot. My whole argument is about how hard it is and these parents had it a bit easier because they got outside help. I'm not disputing how hard it is :-/

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Please psychoanalyse me remotely- I know how much you love that phrase.

:sogood:
The reality of being a mother (or father) for most mothers and fathers is you don't get 8 weeks help.

I'm talking about the youtube link.
The reality of being a mother (or father) for most mothers and fathers is you don't get 8 weeks help.

She needs to check her privilege.

She went to a grammar school. Obviously.
I'm talking about the youtube link.

You keep ninjaring me.

It;s also pretty common knowledge about how hard it is rearing a baby, I have no first hand experience but I am not an idiot. My whole argument is about how hard it is and these parents had it a bit easier because they got outside help. I'm
not disputing how hard it is :-/

But if you are in a society that provides crap support for parenthood (which is like all of them) you are on your own and it is down to where you on on a socio-economic ladder. Some have it easier than others. Even for someone like me and my family the concept of hiring outside help to help look after a newborn baby is alien. What about the working class worker on min wage (is only earner) who has to work ovetime and already terrible shift patterns and is given 2 weeks paternity leave?

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
I'd like to volunteer at a monkey sanctuary in Tanzania.

Brian says hi.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending