The Student Room Group

Why all work experience is good experience if you want a top graduate job.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethereal World
x

By all means. It has definitely helped me if for nothing but the interview experience I got when I was originally looking for a part time job. Being a cashier also helped gain confidence in facing customers...etc
The point I was trying to make is that part time jobs didn't have a direct impact when it came to applying to my career of choice (engineering) as other engineering related experiences and projects had.
So it did help me because I gained experience in how to apply to jobs and how to answer competency questions (tell me about a time when...), but was not in my experience an area in my CV that I was asked about during any of my interviews.
I understand however how it might make more of an impact in other careers where human interaction as such has as much of a weighing as technical knowledge. In my experience for engineering jobs though, the emphasis has always been on my technical skills.

Original post by Smack
x

Original post by candyaljamila
As a final year mechanical engineering student (4th year), I have to disagree with the importance of part time jobs when it comes to a career in engineering.
I have had a part time job in a supermarket for the first 3 years of my degree, including taking up the job to full time hours in the summers of 1st and 2nd year.
I have attended engineering interviews with big companies. 2 interviews for when I was applying for engineering internships (got one of them in the end), and 3 interviews so far for engineering graduate schemes. The interviewer would usually go with you through your CV asking questions about different parts of your CV in order (from top to bottom), and they always skip anything that is not engineering related.
So the nearly 3 years of part time work I have done never got a mention in any of my interviews.
I also fluently speak two other languages aside from English. That's never got a mention neither.
So my point being that, it might be different for other courses/careers, but for engineering, I would advice to focus on the technical kinds of work experience/jobs/societies/hobbies. These are all what engineering employers will be interested in.

As highlighted above, I do have an engineering summer internship with a big name in the top 100 employers. My panel interview for that internship included 2 engineers and one HR. But even the questions from HR were about my projects and modules at university. There was no mention of my part time jobs or any other non engineering experiences I had.
Similarly for the assessment centers I have attended this year for graduate schemes, they all had group activities / technical interview / personal interview. Most of my personal interviews were around 1 hour long (similar to the technical), yet all the questions were revolving around my technical internship, technical projects and engineering modules. There was no mention of my part time job, languages or any other of my non engineering experiences.
Also, part time jobs do take a good dozen of hours a week. So what I was suggesting is that engineering students might want to use these to either further improve their university projects, or work on an engineering project outside their course (as part of a national competition), as this will get them much more appreciation in engineering interview (even the HR questions) than a supermarket part time job.
(edited 8 years ago)
As a final year mechanical engineering student (4th year), I have to disagree with the importance of part time jobs when it comes to a career in engineering.
I have had a part time job in a supermarket for the first 3 years of my degree, including taking up the job to full time hours in the summers of 1st and 2nd year.
I have attended engineering interviews with big companies. 2 interviews for when I was applying for engineering internships (got one of them in the end), and 3 interviews so far for engineering graduate schemes. The interviewer would usually go with you through your CV asking questions about different parts of your CV in order (from top to bottom), and they always skip anything that is not engineering related.
So the nearly 3 years of part time work I have done never got a mention in any of my interviews.
I also fluently speak two other languages aside from English. That's never got a mention neither.
So my point being that, it might be different for other courses/careers, but for engineering, I would advice to focus on the technical kinds of work experience/jobs/societies/hobbies. These are all what engineering employers will be interested in.

Although not in engineering, I've had a similar experience to you OP at interviews- the people interviewing me only cared about my relevant work experience. Feedback I got from one interview was that they weren't interested in all the volunteering I had done and at another interview, after taking that feedback on board, when asked 'so tell me about yourself' I started with 'most relevantly' and got a smile and a yes.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You keep ninjaring me.

It;s also pretty common knowledge about how hard it is rearing a baby, I have no first hand experience but I am not an idiot. My whole argument is about how hard it is and these parents had it a bit easier because they got outside help. I'm
not disputing how hard it is :-/

But if you are in a society that provides crap support for parenthood (which is like all of them) you are on your own and it is down to where you on on a socio-economic ladder. Some have it easier than others. Even for someone like me and my family the concept of hiring outside help to help look after a newborn baby is alien. What about the working class worker on min wage (is only earner) who has to work ovetime and already terrible shift patterns and is given 2 weeks paternity leave?

Spoiler

I get the whole social injustice stuff. Come on you know I'm a leftie.

Not everyone can afford outside help for raising children but if we say, put a ban on that or made it illegal what would that do to the quest for gender equality?

Don't men get the same leave as a woman if they are single parent?
As you know, work experience is becoming so important in being an attractive candidate in a variety of careers. This is creating the need for students to get work as they are going through university as the job market (especially top jobs) is very competitive.

This helped so much, often in schools teachers constantly preach about academic success and forget to tell us how important people skills are and exactly how to get them.
Nowadays everything you take part in is a potential way of bulking up your CV and so you wouldn’t believe the amount of times I’ve not bothered with stuff like the English speaking union because it’s not considered ‘sciencey enough’ and therefore irrelevant to my future career.

I'm not at University yet but no harm in starting to exploring the world of work now and gaining experience:u::u:
Reply 84
Original post by Smack

I also agree in that in my experience, things outside of the realm of engineering does not get discussed too much except for during HR interviews (and a lot of companies have a fairly minimal type of HR interview or one that's conducted at the same time as the technical interview), but again that does not mean the voluntary and extra curricular work I did was useless - although I do think that people who undertake such activities merely to tick a box may find they don't help them as much as they were led to believe, unless they can really sell the experience.

Hmm I don't quite agree with the bold. In my experience having done around 7 or 8 interviews now and they all asked me about my experience which was none engineering related (most weren't done by HR either). I don't really have "pure" relevant engineering experience but a lot of the skills used in those other jobs will be drawn upon when answering some of the competency questions.
Reply 85
By all means. It has definitely helped me if for nothing but the interview experience I got when I was originally looking for a part time job. Being a cashier also helped gain confidence in facing customers...etc
The point I was trying to make is that part time jobs didn't have a direct impact when it came to applying to my career of choice (engineering) as other engineering related experiences and projects had.
So it did help me because I gained experience in how to apply to jobs and how to answer competency questions (tell me about a time when...), but was not in my experience an area in my CV that I was asked about during any of my interviews.
I understand however how it might make more of an impact in other careers where human interaction as such has as much of a weighing as technical knowledge. In my experience for engineering jobs though, the emphasis has always been on my technical skills.

As highlighted above, I do have an engineering summer internship with a big name in the top 100 employers. My panel interview for that internship included 2 engineers and one HR. But even the questions from HR were about my projects and modules at university. There was no mention of my part time jobs or any other non engineering experiences I had.
Similarly for the assessment centers I have attended this year for graduate schemes, they all had group activities / technical interview / personal interview. Most of my personal interviews were around 1 hour long (similar to the technical), yet all the questions were revolving around my technical internship, technical projects and engineering modules. There was no mention of my part time job, languages or any other of my non engineering experiences.
Also, part time jobs do take a good dozen of hours a week. So what I was suggesting is that engineering students might want to use these to either further improve their university projects, or work on an engineering project outside their course (as part of a national competition), as this will get them much more appreciation in engineering interview (even the HR questions) than a supermarket part time job.

I think you're generalising way too much, just because they didn't ask for it once or twice doesn't mean they don't care about it. You probably had more relevant experience on your CV hence why they talked/asked you more about that. I myself don't have relevant pure engineering experience but from the 7-8 interviews I've done in the last 2 months they have all asked me about my non engineering experience so be careful when you say they don't care (they do).

Don't men get the same leave as a woman if they are single parent?

He wasn't single. But men in his position are in no position to have more time with the kids. Especially when you have to work overtime.
He wasn't single. But men in his position are in no position to have more time with the kids. Especially when you have to work overtime.

Sorry, I mean most of the time we align in our political outlook but I think what you're saying here is kind of irrelevant tbh.
Sorry, I mean most of the time we align in our political outlook but I think what you're saying here is kind of irrelevant tbh.

Yeah why would men want to be able to actually spend time with the newborn child. I thought feminism wasn't what the MRAs say it is.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah why would men want to be able to actually spend time with the newborn child.

Yes, I get that. That completely changes the topic from whether people should be allowed to hire au pairs, to male employment rights and the huge gap between men and women on that front.
Yes, I get that. That completely changes the topic from whether people should be allowed to hire au pairs, to male employment rights and the huge gap between men and women on that front.

We went off topic ages ago and I never said au pair should be made illegal or that you are somehow a bad person for doing it. I didn't mean that at all.

On the issue of child rearing and class (which is where this went) I don;t see how paternity politics is not relevant... Maybe men want to escape their gender roles as well. It thought feminism was all for that :-/
(edited 8 years ago)
We went off topic ages ago and I never said au pair should be made illegal.

I didn't say you did say it was illegal (god this is gonna go on for ages)

It's just I don't like the whole line of argument which goes "If you say this about this it means this about separate issue". It doesn't.
I didn't say you did say it was illegal (god this is gonna go on for ages)

It's just I don't like the whole line of argument which goes "If you say this about this it means this about separate issue". It doesn't.

I'm not saying you were wrong to au pair either. Or that you didn't get anything out of it. Or that the parents were horrible.

You asked me whether or not single male parents got same support as female ones. So I explained he wasn't single but was the sole provider for a soon to be child on min wage job with the bare min of paternity. We were talking about class and looking after babies so it seemed relevant to me.
I'm not saying you were wrong to au pair either. Or that you didn't get anything out of it. Or that the parents were horrible.

You asked me whether or not single male parents got same support as female ones. So I explained he wasn't single but was the sole provider for a soon to be child on min wage job with the bare min of paternity. We were talking about class and looking after babies so it seemed relevant to me.

Okies :biggrin:

No I didn't know you were talking about a specific guy I thought you were just chatting generally ygm?

You could argue that having a baby is a choice in his case.
Original post by BookBird
Brian says hi.

You monster.

You could argue that having a baby is a choice in his case.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't if you know what I mean.

That's like the exact same thing that gets levelled at women and a reason to just dismiss them as "feckless" women and not help them :erm:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending