The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Why did I get rejected from Durham?

I applied for English and received a rejection today. Could anyone possibly tell me why you think I may have been? I'm not being arrogant, I would just like to know what went wrong in case I reapply next year.

I've read that Durham won't give individual feedback so I can't ask directly.

GCSE's: 4A*, 4A, 2B
AS levels: AAAA
Predicted A2: 4A*

My teachers said that my personal statement was good, and my reference was really complimentary of me.

Did my GCSE's let me down?
They would have received far more applicants with your kind of attainment history than they have places available. If you apply for a popular subject at a popular university then you have to be ready to be rejected unfortunately. It is hard to say why you didn't receive an offer but it will be some combination of academics, reference, subject choice, personal statement. Don't beat yourself up over it, presumably you've applied to some other strong universities who may yet give you offers.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by simbasdragon
I applied for English and received a rejection today. Could anyone possibly tell me why you think I may have been? I'm not being arrogant, I would just like to know what went wrong in case I reapply next year.

My teachers said that my personal statement was good, and my reference was really complimentary of me.

I got rejected by Durham for the English lit course (although got a place on the less competitive Education with English the year prior to the rejection). I only have 3 GCSEs so it was probably because of that. The problem with Durham is they only have your grades and PS to go on, and lots of people will have similar grades (or straight A*s, which look good on paper). If it's any consolation I got accepted by Cambridge, so you can still be a good student and get rejected by Durham. It's just very competitive and they only get a paper view of you, which isn't really a good reflection of who will make a good student.
Original post by ByronicHero
They would have received far more applicants with your kind of attainment history than they have places available. If you apply for a popular subject at a popular university then you have to be ready to be rejected unfortunately. It is hard to say why you didn't receive an offer but it will be some combination of academics, reference, subject choice, personal statement. Don't beat yourself up over it, presumably you've applied to some other strong universities who may yet give you offers.

Thanks for responding. I don't think it was my reference as it showed me in a very positive light. My English teachers reviewed my personal statement and said it was really good so I assume it must have been my GCSE's. :frown:
Original post by mscaffrey
I got rejected by Durham for the English lit course (although got a place on the less competitive Education with English the year prior to the rejection). I only have 3 GCSEs so it was probably because of that. The problem with Durham is they only have your grades and PS to go on, and lots of people will have similar grades (or straight A*s, which look good on paper). If it's any consolation I got accepted by Cambridge, so you can still be a good student and get rejected by Durham. It's just very competitive and they only get a paper view of you, which isn't really a good reflection of who will make a good student.

Thankyou. So did you take a gap year? I'm jist feeling very disappointed. Do you know if Durham would give any feedback at all?
Thanks for responding. I don't think it was my reference as it showed me in a very positive light. My English teachers reviewed my personal statement and said it was really good so I assume it must have been my GCSE's. :frown:

Many teachers have a very poor idea of what constitutes appropriate content for a personal statement. Your GCSEs are fine. There would have been plenty of people predicted 5A*s, or people with more glowing references. It's the name of the game.
I was led to believe that Durham prefers more rounded students and doesn't base offers solely on academics, instead adding a sizeable emphasis on extra circular activities. (More so than Oxbridge anyway). It would depend on what your PS contained.
Thankyou. So did you take a gap year? I'm jist feeling very disappointed. Do you know if Durham would give any feedback at all?

I've taken a gap 7-years (unfortunately I had to leave Cambridge due to illness). I'm currently waiting to go back to a different university altogether. Durham were the least communicative university I have ever applied to (this is just my experience, and experiences may vary depending on which department/college you're dealing with), so I wouldn't expect feedback but there's no harm in you sending off a polite email asking if they're willing to provide it.
I got accepted onto the English lit course with 8A*s and 3As at GCSE, AAABB at AS and predicted A*AA at A2, so I know that the selection must not be based solely on academics (when I applied I was so certain I would get rejected). My personal statement and references were good, so I guess its partly down to that, but I read somewhere that I have a feeling that Durham often make offers based on your school situation? For example, they would be more likely to pick someone who achieves highly in an underperforming school than someone who may have done better in an independent school. I'm from a school in the North East where the average grade per subject is a C, so I believe that comes down to that, although do not take my word for it! I am really sorry to hear that you didn't receive an offer and wish you the best of luck with the rest of your applications, your grades are truly excellent :smile:
English is very competitive as it is currently the top university for this subject. Also as Durham don't hold interviews they place a huge focus on personal statements and GCSEs. A lot of people will be in the same position, so don't worry! :smile:
Reply 10

Durham does provide individual feedback, you just have to request it by e-mailing [email protected]. It would be best to contact them as they will be able to explain the precise reasons for their decision, which will help you if you want to re-apply next year.
Reply 11
My GCSEs are 6 A*s, 3 As, 1B
My iGCSE in science is AB.

My AS levels were AABD
And my A level predictions are uncertain, but somewhere between AAA and A*A*A.

What I'm trying to say is I got two Bs in GCSE and a D at AS, and still managed to get a place - your grades are amazing so don't beat yourself up! The course is likely very oversubscribed, and perhaps your ps or reference weren't exactly what Durham was looking for.

That doesn't mean that you, or your grades, or ps, or reference aren't brilliant!
Reply 12
Hi just to let you know it wouldn't have been your GCSE's as I currently hold an offer to Durham to start September 2017, and amongst my GCSES I got a C and 2 Ds...... So....

Quick Reply

Latest