The Student Room Group

I am a little stuck :(

I am currently in year 11 and the pressure of exams is really starting to build up on me. In my mock exams I received a range of grades and I didn't know if I should feel proud or disappointed. My targets range from C to B. The grades I achieved were; 3 A's 1 B 2C's and 2 D's. I got C's where I was targeted B's and I got D's where I was targeted C's I know I'm not far off but I cannot help thinking that if this was the real thing I would be sad as I did not achieve a C in maths. I have a fear that I will fail all my exams. My coursework is bringing me down in most subjects and I am working to pull it up but it is still low. Does anyone have any advice on successful ways to revise each subject and how to feel motivated?
Yeah I'm in Year 11 too and the stress is getting unreal, especially with having to study so many different subjects.
I really can't say I'm an expert at revision or anything, far from it in fact but I guess I can tell you what I've been doing to maybe spark some sort of inspiration...
Also you may take different subjects to me so i don't know how useful this will be:
So maths I only really do practise papers, mark them and take a record of what you get for each paper. If you run out, you can use websites with papers dating back to 2003.
Chemistry and physics I just read some revision guides as it is mostly understanding of topics, then practise papers to master the whole exam technique.
More content based subjects like biology, geography and latin (the literature part) make sure you have notes on everything, even if it's classnotes as long as you'd be happy revising from them. Then practise papers, because again, exam technique:smile:
I take music as well and I just make mindmaps of the set works and just listen to the pieces a lot and pretend to commentate over them to revise. I don't do so past paper questions really because we do ours in class mostly.

And about motivation, I really don't know I go through ups and downs and all I can say is during those short peaks where you feel super motivated, make the most of it!

Wish you the best of luck:smile: I'm sure you'll do great. Have a good week.
Reply 2
Hello! As a fellow Year 11 student myself, I can understand somewhat what you're going through. I too had just completed my mocks and managed to get 3 B's when most of my predicted target was C's and 1 D. I know it's hard to believe, but predicted grades don't really measure your true 'potential', as I believe with the right amount of dedication and hardwork - you can get any grade you want to!

As for revising and studying wise, I recommend mostly having exam practice and looking at past exam papers. Read textbooks and revision books, and you can even use them to help you with the practice papers.

Secondly, make notes from them and go over key essential topics or important areas that need working on. This doesn't have to be boring. You can always make flashcards, watch educational videos and revise in a way that suits you.

Thirdly, go over your class work or book and refresh your mind, as most of the topics you've learnt with your teacher are importants things that are related to your exams. Finally - don't give up and try your best!! Don't leave things at the last minute and that it's never too late to start making changes.
(edited 8 years ago)
@Year 13: Looks at this post.

Original post by similarBlank
@Year 13: Looks at this post.

This is magnificently unhelpful. I'm sure some university students would look at year 13 and have the same reaction, but is there really a need to broadcast it? Every stage of education is tough for the people going through it - it's designed to be tough for the level people are at when they're attempting it.

@OP You got 3 As, so I say you can be proud of yourself. It's difficult to get As in mocks. Try not to worry too much. Worrying sometimes impacts grades more negatively than bad study habits. Continue to pay attention in class, ask teachers if anything confuses you - they'll be happy to give tailored advice to you, and get hold of some good revision guides for each subject if you don't have them already. In maths especially a good revision guide makes a big difference if you just go through a few problems per night.
Hi OP, I am in y11 too and it is getting stressful. Maybe every day, pick 2 or 3 subjects and cover a chapter/ topic on them in whatever revision style suits you best ( flash cards, practice exam papers,notes, mind maps, explaining it too someone etc). Doing little bits every day, is like doing steps, and are like little goals. It may be daunting at first, but the more you do, the more you cover and it won't seem as bad anymore.

For motivation, maybe treat yourself every week for working hard. Or reward yourself your phone gadgets etc after you have done a bit or revision. And remeber to take breaks in between!

I srysly know what you mean about course work, my graphics teacher told half my model thing is wrong, that it hasn't improved after 10 models! So that's fun:colonhash:
Original post by theangrytripmunk
Yeah I'm in Year 11 too and the stress is getting unreal, especially with having to study so many different subjects.
I really can't say I'm an expert at revision or anything, far from it in fact but I guess I can tell you what I've been doing to maybe spark some sort of inspiration...
Also you may take different subjects to me so i don't know how useful this will be:
So maths I only really do practise papers, mark them and take a record of what you get for each paper. If you run out, you can use websites with papers dating back to 2003.
Chemistry and physics I just read some revision guides as it is mostly understanding of topics, then practise papers to master the whole exam technique.
More content based subjects like biology, geography and latin (the literature part) make sure you have notes on everything, even if it's classnotes as long as you'd be happy revising from them. Then practise papers, because again, exam technique:smile:
I take music as well and I just make mindmaps of the set works and just listen to the pieces a lot and pretend to commentate over them to revise. I don't do so past paper questions really because we do ours in class mostly.

And about motivation, I really don't know I go through ups and downs and all I can say is during those short peaks where you feel super motivated, make the most of it!

Wish you the best of luck:smile: I'm sure you'll do great. Have a good week.

Thank you so much for the advice, I wish you all the best too :smile: Thanks for the support :smile:
Original post by byaakun
Hello! As a fellow Year 11 student myself, I can understand somewhat what you're going through. I too had just completed my mocks and managed to get 3 B's when most of my predicted target was C's and 1 D. I know it's hard to believe, but predicted grades don't really measure your true 'potential', as I believe with the right amount of dedication and hardwork - you can get any grade you want to!

As for revising and studying wise, I recommend mostly having exam practice and looking at past exam papers. Read textbooks and revision books, and you can even use them to help you with the practice papers.

Secondly, make notes from them and go over key essential topics or important areas that need working on. This doesn't have to be boring. You can always make flashcards, watch educational videos and revise in a way that suits you.

Thirdly, go over your class work or book and refresh your mind, as most of the topics you've learnt with your teacher are importants things that are related to your exams. Finally - don't give up and try your best!! Don't leave things at the last minute and that it's never too late to start making changes.

Thank you for the great tips and support it's made me feel 100 times better :smile: I wish you all the best!!!
Original post by mscaffrey
This is magnificently unhelpful. I'm sure some university students would look at year 13 and have the same reaction, but is there really a need to broadcast it? Every stage of education is tough for the people going through it - it's designed to be tough for the level people are at when they're attempting it.

@OP You got 3 As, so I say you can be proud of yourself. It's difficult to get As in mocks. Try not to worry too much. Worrying sometimes impacts grades more negatively than bad study habits. Continue to pay attention in class, ask teachers if anything confuses you - they'll be happy to give tailored advice to you, and get hold of some good revision guides for each subject if you don't have them already. In maths especially a good revision guide makes a big difference if you just go through a few problems per night.

Thank you so much !

Quick Reply

Latest