The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Funky_Giraffe
My brother does dentistry so I know all about how he went about deciding - he sounds like a similar person to what you describe lol!! But good for you - and dentistry is a fantastic degree.

Thanks! Although A-Levels are tough, no? We've got our work cut out to achieve all of these A*s we've been predicted.... :redface:

I've so far got offers from Birmingham and Cardiff. Waiting on the other 2 poat-interview although UCL although they told me I should here sometime this week so excited/nervous for that :s! UCL would be a fab uni to go to :biggrin:!!

And you?

hahaha really? yeah I know how I am as a person aint no fooling myself! Oh god to decide my parents sent me to do work experience in a hospital in Africa they so wanted me to choose medicine instead of dentistry haha

WOO congrats thats so good! I've got an offer from Cardiff and I'm waiting to hear back from KCL and Barts / QML

and yeah **** chemistry A2 is killing me atm its such a step up from AS - specially since I'm utter shite at maths!
Medicine is no good anymore as a career but it's interesting. Pay is generally bad until you are a consultant or having your practice plus years of debt and longer hours of life time working and studying which can be hard and stressful. Medicine if you are really interested.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by fibartlett
hahaha really? yeah I know how I am as a person aint no fooling myself! Oh god to decide my parents sent me to do work experience in a hospital in Africa they so wanted me to choose medicine instead of dentistry haha

WOO congrats thats so good! I've got an offer from Cardiff and I'm waiting to hear back from KCL and Barts / QML

and yeah **** chemistry A2 is killing me atm its such a step up from AS - specially since I'm utter shite at maths!

Yeah I wonder why most parents would prefer their kids to go for medicine when they're interested in dentistry. Mine were the same with my bro...! The downside of dentistry though is that jobs are few and far between - that was their main concern with my brother doing it. But situations change in 5years so I guess we'll wait and see.

woop woop! Cardiff too?! Great stuff. Don't even get me started on A2 Maths....
Reply 23
Facepalming at some of the stereotypes in this thread rn.
Yeah I wonder why most parents would prefer their kids to go for medicine when they're interested in dentistry. Mine were the same with my bro...! The downside of dentistry though is that jobs are few and far between - that was their main concern with my brother doing it. But situations change in 5years so I guess we'll wait and see.

woop woop! Cardiff too?! Great stuff. Don't even get me started on A2 Maths....

haha I dropped maths! I'm so awful at it hahaha

Are they few and far between though? there's 100% post grad employment for most places.. anyway I'm planning on taking it to the states so hopefully it'll all pan out hahaha

yeah Cardiff is awesome! Its my first choice haha :smile:
haha I dropped maths! I'm so awful at it hahaha

Are they few and far between though? there's 100% post grad employment for most places.. anyway I'm planning on taking it to the states so hopefully it'll all pan out hahaha

yeah Cardiff is awesome! Its my first choice haha :smile:

Nice! :biggrin:

Just what I heard from newly qualified dentists when I did work exp in a local practice
Nice! :biggrin:

Just what I heard from newly qualified dentists when I did work exp in a local practice

ahh jesus really.. oh well I guess haha I'll find a job somehow
Reply 27
I found myself swaying from one to the other last year as i tried to decide which one to pick but in the end I decided medicine just because I personally felt I was more suited to it and that's what I'd enjoy more day-to-day, year after year. This is only personal opinion and I think it really depends on the person applying because dentistry seems a lot better lifestyle wise! (Not too helpful I know but just go with which feels right for you:smile:)
fuk u and ur 9 dicks in ur ass
'I received 2A*s and 9As' ***** no one give a **** shove yo 9 a stars up yo ass
Hello, A a registered dental suregy assistant In Ghana, I have few to say about dentistry.
Dentistry is a good option because dentist's are more closr to their patients. In dentistry after examination and diagnosis the patients are treateded right there per the finding seen,and follow up is made on our Patients because they need to come for regular review.
Its our priority to make sure our clients smiles ,speak well,restore function and more..... Dentistry as profession is tiring because much time is spend on patient per the number of treatments the Dentist would so. Unlike general medicine where patients go on medication and report for success but in Dentistry stress level is much but rewarding, you will also be free from calk for much emergencies and have time with family. U would get the time to work in other private certain depending how fast you are.
Try & error in dentistry is just a little so certainty is much.
Thank you
(edited 5 years ago)
Its the perfect blend of healthcare, diagnosis & treatment with good pay and flexible hours. Also have to opportunity to work both NHS and private easily. Comes down to personal choice though as both are super competitive so either way you go it won't be easy.
I'd say make sure you do work experiences in a couple of dental practices (private & NHS) as well as hospital experience to see which one you prefer and can see yourself in the most!

Which universities are good to do undergrad dentistry?
Original post by Manexopi
I wouldn't say obviously, I had my fair share of indecisiveness but I always found myself coming back to the idea of dentistry.
I found work experience to be the most helpful. Whilst there are differences between dentistry and medicine, they are still very similar and so exposure to the different professions and keeping a work experience diary really helps. Honestly, I'm one of those weirdos that actually finds the mouth/teeth genuinely interesting and I like how hands on dentistry is from the start. You also get the benefit of treating patients. (and yes you can save lives and improve people's mental wellbeing as well) Some people argue that in dentistry you get to know patient's better which is true to an extent as you don't only see people when they're ill but GPs can also get to know their patients aswell. I also feel like people's attitudes towards their oral health isn't quite as good as it could be and as a dentist you can help educate and advise people on how to improve their oral health. Also, there's quite a few things you can do with a dental degree so you're not completely restricted and that sealed the deal for me (:

I'm a dental applicant haha.

where did u apply?
I wouldnt do any. Courses are long and lots of actual study that you can't fake or get by is required. After eating your soul out be ready to actually work hard in real life for not such a great job. Better proffesions out there.

But if you still want these 2, pick the one with better career path in terms of stress and money....I mean money and stress....meditate and exercise and no stress at work, but not much you can do if no money coming in :smile:
Original post by AndrewBlue
I wouldnt do any. Courses are long and lots of actual study that you can't fake or get by is required. After eating your soul out be ready to actually work hard in real life for not such a great job. Better proffesions out there.

But if you still want these 2, pick the one with better career path in terms of stress and money....I mean money and stress....meditate and exercise and no stress at work, but not much you can do if no money coming in :smile:

Hi
What would you suggest would be better proffessions? I'm compltely money motivated and chose Dentistry because of the respect:money ratio which is very high! (I hope this doesn't reflect what my real personality is like though. In reality, I would never ever work a 9-5 job!)
Original post by Kirsty_crawford
Thank you for your reply!

Could you possibly go into some detail as to why you'd chose dentistry so obviously?

I'm guessing you have a career/background in dentistry

This was 5 years ago damnnn... What did you end up picking btw? Medicine or dentistry? And do you have any regrets?
Original post by xxFelicitous
This was 5 years ago damnnn... What did you end up picking btw? Medicine or dentistry? And do you have any regrets?

Hi can I ask what career you're thinking of picking?

Latest

Trending

Trending