The Student Room Group

The road between I Kant revise and success: diary of a procrastinator

Hi guys!
My name is X and this is my grow your grades blog. My hope is that this will give me the motivation to revise and stop my endless procrastinating. I am studying Biology, Chemistry and Religious Studies at A Level along with an EPQ. I am hoping to study medicine at university which means I need at least AAA this year but my aim is to achieve A*AA* with the help of this thread. I finished my mocks just before half term so after I receive the results I hope to look at areas of improvement and critically evaluate my progress
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Religious Studies and biology?

Quality spelling in the thread title btw-
Reply 2
Original post by Jimmy Seville
Religious Studies and biology?

Quality spelling in the thread title btw-

RS and Biology work really well together Although last month, I accidentally went into a bit too much detail when talking about ethical problems of Genetic Engineering in Biology...
I cannot get over the I Kant pun so now it comes up literally every RS lesson. But it is my duty to repeat it to other people because my reason tells me to do it :wink: I Kant even type this post without laughing.
Reply 3
I am going to receive my EPQ first draft back this week so I need to take this into account when planning revision for this week as we do not want to get caught up in work at the last minute (not that that has ever happened...) I am planning to make notes on organic chemistry in preparation from the joys of having an evaluative next week but they will also be used for revision for summer exams. Hopefully, by this time net week I will have started my second draft of my EPQ as well as finishing organic chemistry notes. On top of this, instead of making a plan I want to make a list of tasks that need to be completed each week so that I have a clear idea of what I need to be doing whilst also giving me flexibility of not having a revision timetable as I tend not to stick to them= feel bad afterwards= doing less work. I have a plan to actually start doing work in frees. I am hoping to do revision (rather than last minute work or chat) in at least one free this week and I will eventually build this up so I can have a balance without being demotivated by towering piles of revision. :smile:
Today however is for revising for my RS mock tomorrow so goodbye student room, as I am saying hello to my conscience. I hope everyone manages to have a productive day today!
A2/AS?
Reply 5
Original post by Adeel Ali
A2/AS?

A2
Original post by Jehaan
A2

Good Luck, I'm procrastinating RN. Was meant to start a paper @ 6. SIGH
Reply 7
Good Luck, I'm procrastinating RN. Was meant to start a paper @ 6. SIGH

hahaha same. I keep procrastinating even though I made sure my mum had my phone... Hope you manage to start your paper though
Original post by Jehaan
hahaha same. I keep procrastinating even though I made sure my mum had my phone... Hope you manage to start your paper though

Lol. Yeah my mum has my phone also! It helps a little but then I have the computer lol..
Reply 9
Lol. Yeah my mum has my phone also! It helps a little but then I have the computer lol..

Truer words have never been spoken
Original post by Jehaan
RS and Biology work really well together Although last month, I accidentally went into a bit too much detail when talking about ethical problems of Genetic Engineering in Biology...
I cannot get over the I Kant pun so now it comes up literally every RS lesson. But it is my duty to repeat it to other people because my reason tells me to do it :wink: I Kant even type this post without laughing.

LOOOL i get why you're laughing:laugh::laugh:I do RS at A2 aswell :smile: What units do you do?
Reply 11
Original post by Studentxoxo
LOOOL i get why you're laughing:laugh::laugh:I do RS at A2 aswell :smile: What units do you do?

We do AQA. I can't remember what the name is but one is the philosophy paper and the other is rst4c which is ways of moral decision making
You?
Original post by Jehaan
We do AQA. I can't remember what the name is but one is the philosophy paper and the other is rst4c which is ways of moral decision making
You?

I do AQA too :smile: I do ways of moral decision paper too but the other paper is a faith based
Original post by Jehaan
Hi guys!
My name is Salma and this is my grow your grades blog. My hope is that this will give me the motivation to revise and stop my endless procrastinating. I am studying Biology, Chemistry and Religious Studies at A Level along with an EPQ. I am hoping to study medicine at university which means I need at least AAA this year but my aim is to achieve A*AA* with the help of this thread. I finished my mocks just before half term so after I receive the results I hope to look at areas of improvement and critically evaluate my progress

Hello Salma. I am also doing Religious Studies at A2. How do you revise for ethics? What online resources/youtubers do you use. I am aiming for an A* in philosophy and ethics, and im really struggling this year. What method do you use. Goodluck with everything and any help would be much appreciated.
Reply 14
I do AQA too :smile: I do ways of moral decision paper too but the other paper is a faith based

Do you medical or business ethics?
Reply 15
Original post by Vanessaxx98
Hello Salma. I am also doing Religious Studies at A2. How do you revise for ethics? What online resources/youtubers do you use. I am aiming for an A* in philosophy and ethics, and im really struggling this year. What method do you use. Goodluck with everything and any help would be much appreciated.

Ummm I am probably not the best person to ask as I didn't really revise last year... I can tell you what I am doing this year though!
I always predict the papers and if you go on student bounty you can find a couple more papers that aren't on the AQA website. Last year I did mind maps of different specification points which I would then use past mark schemes, books and any online resources that I find. I already do two science subjects so revising for an essay subject I find is much harder so I find that the more you know the better whereas in science subjects you literally just need to learn mark schemes. This year I am trying to have more productive revision by doing my revision to pass exam questions if that makes sense? Like last year one paper was Judaism so I would write everything I knew about Shabbat on one side of a4 in a mind map but a lot of the stuff was irrelevant and I couldn't put in an essay whereas this year I am trying to focus revision on say deontology but then only writing things down that could be written in an essay. I did my ethics mock today and I found it was really helpful that whilst I revised deontology everything I had revised, whilst revising, I had linked to medical ethics so it was more natural whereas other people struggled more because they had to make the links during the mocks. In terms of online resources one thing that I find useful and interesting is the Save RE Facebook group (its for teachers) but they post useful articles and learning resources like the other day someone asked for resources to easily explain the ontological argument which means I now get it! Oh and often I find useful philosophy stuff from the philosophy bit of the Stanford website
How do revise atm? (I figure the more ways we learn how other people revise the more likel we are to get those A*s :wink: )
Sorry for the long post :biggrin:
Original post by Jehaan
Ummm I am probably not the best person to ask as I didn't really revise last year... I can tell you what I am doing this year though!
I always predict the papers and if you go on student bounty you can find a couple more papers that aren't on the AQA website. Last year I did mind maps of different specification points which I would then use past mark schemes, books and any online resources that I find. I already do two science subjects so revising for an essay subject I find is much harder so I find that the more you know the better whereas in science subjects you literally just need to learn mark schemes. This year I am trying to have more productive revision by doing my revision to pass exam questions if that makes sense? Like last year one paper was Judaism so I would write everything I knew about Shabbat on one side of a4 in a mind map but a lot of the stuff was irrelevant and I couldn't put in an essay whereas this year I am trying to focus revision on say deontology but then only writing things down that could be written in an essay. I did my ethics mock today and I found it was really helpful that whilst I revised deontology everything I had revised, whilst revising, I had linked to medical ethics so it was more natural whereas other people struggled more because they had to make the links during the mocks. In terms of online resources one thing that I find useful and interesting is the Save RE Facebook group (its for teachers) but they post useful articles and learning resources like the other day someone asked for resources to easily explain the ontological argument which means I now get it! Oh and often I find useful philosophy stuff from the philosophy bit of the Stanford website
How do revise atm? (I figure the more ways we learn how other people revise the more likel we are to get those A*s :wink: )
Sorry for the long post :biggrin:

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this post and i will use what is recommended. I reply by writing essay plans and writing detailed paragraphs on what i would answer in the exam. That is a base and I make sure to include all the main points I use IEP and peped. org at the moment. I messed up ethics last year so I am using those to find my work. I am really stuck on it arghh. I was thinking that we should exchange notes over email, even though i am doing OCR there is some crossover. My email is [email protected]
Original post by Jehaan
Do you medical or business ethics?

I do Medical ethics and you? :smile:
Can you copy and paste the link for the save re facebook group

Original post by Vanessaxx98
Thank you for taking the time to reply to this post and i will use what is recommended. I reply by writing essay plans and writing detailed paragraphs on what i would answer in the exam. That is a base and I make sure to include all the main points I use IEP and peped. org at the moment. I messed up ethics last year so I am using those to find my work. I am really stuck on it arghh. I was thinking that we should exchange notes over email, even though i am doing OCR there is some crossover. My email is [email protected]
Reply 19
I do Medical ethics and you? :smile:

Same! You want to share notes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending