The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airfairy
Don't assume that - the job is always open to "real teachers" (they can't say NQTs only), and a lot of schools may have a quiet (or rather obvious on some job ads) preference for an NQT in reality.

Good luck

Interesting! It's an Outstanding school so I assumed they'd be reluctant to have NQTS coming in and being a bit rubbish at first. But fingers crossed :smile:

It's a really fast turn around between closing date/shortlist/interviews so I haven't got time to get too invested if they don't shortlist me. Which is nice. Still hoping though!
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I hate to say this, but the cheapness of NQTs puts them at an advantage! Good luck!

I hadn't thought of it like that! My placement school before was full of NQTS or people not long from it which made me suspicious. But this is a nice school so I assume they're not stingy! Haha.
Original post by JoannaMilano
I hadn't thought of it like that! My placement school before was full of NQTS or people not long from it which made me suspicious. But this is a nice school so I assume they're not stingy! Haha.

Don't assume anything. All schools are stingy...
I'd be wary of applying anywhere with lots of NQTs. If they make up the majority (+50%) of teachers it implies a high staff turn over and you've got to ask yourself why that is...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HappyRain
I'd be wary of applying anywhere with lots of NQTs. If they make up the majority (+50%) of teachers it implies a high staff turn over and you've got to ask yourself why that is...

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is very good advice.
I definitely agree. As well as they "why don't they stay?" problem, I want a school where I can learn as much as possible. While it's nice to have other NQTs to bond with over the stresses, when no one at your school has been there (or in teaching as a whole) more than 5 years it's hard to find great practice to learn from.
I definitely agree. As well as they "why don't they stay?" problem, I want a school where I can learn as much as possible. While it's nice to have other NQTs to bond with over the stresses, when no one at your school has been there (or in teaching as a whole) more than 5 years it's hard to find great practice to learn from.

I have exactly this issue in my department. I'm an NQT with another NQT and a part-timer in my department and it's a very stressful and terrifying existence without anyone here to just say "You're doing fine. You've hit all your deadlines. There's absolutely nothing that you've possibly forgotten to do" as at the moment I'm terrified I've missed something every single day.

I have the added bonus of not having schemes of work already written for me or lesson advice or general guidance. I literally live day to day just hoping I don't screw up childrens' lives.

Make sure you have at least one other person in your department with an idea what is going on. If you can get somebody who is also working in your subject then that is even better!
I got offered a job today!

That's all I wanted to say, I'm very excited. Although I have to say, it's quite reassuring that there is going to be an RQT there while I'm an NQT, and the rest are all more experienced. Means I have different viewpoints to get help from.
Original post by beanbrain

That's all I wanted to say, I'm very excited. Although I have to say, it's quite reassuring that there is going to be an RQT there while I'm an NQT, and the rest are all more experienced. Means I have different viewpoints to get help from.

Congratulations!!!
First year education studies student year - wanting to be a primary school teacher so will be doing my pgce soon too, i hope. I just wanted to ask - how is it like doing the PGCE? With all the planning, marking and assignments - how do you organise your time? And how do you get stuff done? In first year at the moment and I'm absolutely rubbish with organising my time - i still end up doing assignments 2/3 days before - which is beyond stupid i know.'
Original post by samina_ay
First year education studies student year - wanting to be a primary school teacher so will be doing my pgce soon too, i hope. I just wanted to ask - how is it like doing the PGCE? With all the planning, marking and assignments - how do you organise your time? And how do you get stuff done? In first year at the moment and I'm absolutely rubbish with organising my time - i still end up doing assignments 2/3 days before - which is beyond stupid i know.'

I am organised. As soon as I have time to do something, I start doing it. I don't procrastinate, I don't tell myself it will only take 10 minutes. I start it, do a good job and finish it as soon as possible. That way, I can have some time to relax and not have to worry about all the things I have to do!

However, I have always been like this. From the word go, I always did homework and assignments as soon as I could. It's a habit that has remained with me forever, and I understand that not everyone has this. However, I have friends also on the PGCE who are struggling because they, like you, leave assignments until a few days before they are due. And it really isn't doing them any favours!

I still get time to relax and enjoy my hobbies. But only because I am proactive and organised. I advise you to get into good habits now, and force yourself into them until it is ingrained. Because the PGCE is a lot of hard work, and you'll struggle afterwards as well if you aren't well prepared for it.
I am organised. As soon as I have time to do something, I start doing it. I don't procrastinate, I don't tell myself it will only take 10 minutes. I start it, do a good job and finish it as soon as possible. That way, I can have some time to relax and not have to worry about all the things I have to do!

However, I have always been like this. From the word go, I always did homework and assignments as soon as I could. It's a habit that has remained with me forever, and I understand that not everyone has this. However, I have friends also on the PGCE who are struggling because they, like you, leave assignments until a few days before they are due. And it really isn't doing them any favours!

I still get time to relax and enjoy my hobbies. But only because I am proactive and organised. I advise you to get into good habits now, and force yourself into them until it is ingrained. Because the PGCE is a lot of hard work, and you'll struggle afterwards as well if you aren't well prepared for it.

That's really good advice. Trouble is its a bit hectic at home - and i find it difficult to concentrate. Will be changing the environment i work in around - maybe do all my work at uni - so at home i can relax.. hmm thank you for your response!!! Good luck xxx
That's really good advice. Trouble is its a bit hectic at home - and i find it difficult to concentrate. Will be changing the environment i work in around - maybe do all my work at uni - so at home i can relax.. hmm thank you for your response!!! Good luck xxx

Hectic environments are part and parcel of becoming a teacher. Maybe once you have settled into the habit of working, make sure you can do it anywhere - schools are busy, and there will always be something else to do, and someone who wants something!
Hectic environments are part and parcel of becoming a teacher. Maybe once you have settled into the habit of working, make sure you can do it anywhere - schools are busy, and there will always be something else to do, and someone who wants something!

I didn't think about that, thanks for letting me know! teaching is all about being adaptable to change, but what i mean by hectic that is no place to actually sit and do my work. I don't really know how i managed to revise for gcses and a levels, ever since i've started to uni - i do everything last minute. Thanks for your advice, how long on average do you spend on planning on lessons??? there's so much to take into consideration whilst being a teacher and you have to make sure each child has actually learned and understood what you've set out to teach. Have you ever been given a really bad comment from your tutors who come to observe you, and if they did, how did you improve on it?

Congratulations😊
I've got an interview on Thursday, absolutely dreading it.
Original post by sarah1239
Congratulations😊
I've got an interview on Thursday, absolutely dreading it.

Well done on getting an interview, it's so stressful filling in those application forms that I was almost tempted to give up! What have you got to do for your interview? I had a 30 minute lesson and a formal interview.
I didn't think about that, thanks for letting me know! teaching is all about being adaptable to change, but what i mean by hectic that is no place to actually sit and do my work. I don't really know how i managed to revise for gcses and a levels, ever since i've started to uni - i do everything last minute. Thanks for your advice, how long on average do you spend on planning on lessons??? there's so much to take into consideration whilst being a teacher and you have to make sure each child has actually learned and understood what you've set out to teach. Have you ever been given a really bad comment from your tutors who come to observe you, and if they did, how did you improve on it?

Trust me, the ability to work without a "proper" place to sit is definitely a bonus!

Planning used to take me ages, but it doesn't really take me very long at all any more. At the moment, it's taking me an hour to plan a week of maths lessons, and probably 15 minutes for individual lessons like topic and science lessons. Takes me no time at all to plan French! So really, it depends on the lesson. What takes me the most time is finding or making appropriate resources, since they have to be tailored to the children in the class.

None of my observations have really gone that badly. I've had a few dud lessons, but thankfully I've had brilliant tutors and mentors so far, and they always give me a chance to reflect on what I could do better. When they give me their opinion, it always comes with advice to improve or change something, and has never been harsh or unfair. They're the sort of people you want to be training with!
Trust me, the ability to work without a "proper" place to sit is definitely a bonus!

Planning used to take me ages, but it doesn't really take me very long at all any more. At the moment, it's taking me an hour to plan a week of maths lessons, and probably 15 minutes for individual lessons like topic and science lessons. Takes me no time at all to plan French! So really, it depends on the lesson. What takes me the most time is finding or making appropriate resources, since they have to be tailored to the children in the class.

None of my observations have really gone that badly. I've had a few dud lessons, but thankfully I've had brilliant tutors and mentors so far, and they always give me a chance to reflect on what I could do better. When they give me their opinion, it always comes with advice to improve or change something, and has never been harsh or unfair. They're the sort of people you want to be training with!

That sounds promising, in lectures i looked at a lesson plan from a student who is on the PGCE course right now - he's or she's lesson plan for a science lesson was four pages long and in a lot of detail. Kind of scared me a bit - because I will be planning 20-25 lessons a week and that would result me in 50 page long documents :/ lol
Aww that is brilliant! You must be a really good teacher - i've already recieved criticisms on my voice from my tutor - I have been told it's too soft LOL. I am able to project it when needed. But yeah. I just hope once I graduate, I gain abit more confidence and sort my time management.

To be honest, I haven't found the PGCE anywhere as near as crazy as people told me it would be. When at uni, there's not a huge amount of work to be doing tbh.
We have all our essay titles and deadlines well in advance so theoretically you could have them done really early. For example, our second essay we were given planning tips on December 17th and the essay was due January 11th.

Placement is more stressful but still manageable. You'll basically be putting your life on hold on weekdays while you're on placement, but I have never done an all-nighter or not had at least a day free at the weekend.

I'm scatty as, and I'm coping. If you can keep on top of deadlines, you'd be fine.

As for observations, I've never heard of anyone on my course being criticised unfairly. Unfortunately sometimes people really aren't cut out for teaching* and it's unavoidable that they are going to be expected to shape up quickly on such a short course as PGCE. Even then the tutors have never been unfair or unkind afaik. I've always had very helpful, positive feedback from my tutors and so have my friends (and that's not because we're all amazing haha).

* I don't mean in terms of skills or knowledge, but there are definitely one or two people I know who just cannot get over their nerves in the classroom and it just makes them miserable and the class not make progress).
(edited 8 years ago)
To be honest, I haven't found the PGCE anywhere as near as crazy as people told me it would be. When at uni, there's not a huge amount of work to be doing tbh.
We have all our essay titles and deadlines well in advance so theoretically you could have them done really early. For example, our second essay we were given planning tips on December 17th and the essay was due January 11th.

Placement is more stressful but still manageable. You'll basically be putting your life on hold on weekdays while you're on placement, but I have never done an all-nighter or not had at least a day free at the weekend.

I'm scatty as, and I'm coping. If you can keep on top of deadlines, you'd be fine.

As for observations, I've never heard of anyone on my course being criticised unfairly. Unfortunately sometimes people really aren't cut out for teaching* and it's unavoidable that they are going to be expected to shape up quickly on such a short course as PGCE. Even then the tutors have never been unfair or unkind afaik. I've always had very helpful, positive feedback from my tutors and so have my friends (and that's not because we're all amazing haha).

* I don't mean in terms of skills or knowledge, but there are definitely one or two people I know who just cannot get over their nerves in the classroom and it just makes them miserable and the class not make progress).

Thank you for your detailed answer :smile: i wish you the best of luck with the rest of your course. And I guess everyone is different and they might be suited to other job roles. I'm glad you're finding it not as stressful as others put it out to be. And being a teacher is a full-time job, even in your sleep you must be planning lessons to meet specific needs of the children you teach! LOL. i'm happy to hear that your tutors are supportive too - i guess that's what you need to help you through the hard work x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending