The Student Room Group

How long do you revise for you GCSE exams after school?

Hi everyone

Basically I was just wondering how long do you revise for in your build up to your exams.

I have started revising last week, during the holidays for my exams (which is starting in early may). I revised 4 hours a day and dedicated my weekends doing past papers. I came home today after school and carried on this similar routine, but however I have revised for only 3 hours before getting tired and exhausted. I am fairly worried that the time I'm studying for is not enough in the build up to my exams. As a result I was wondering if you can give me you opinion whether its enough to get A or A* and if not what can I do. I would greatly appreciate it if you could kindly give me your feedback.
Original post by I Don't Care
I got 9 A*s and 1 A. I alternated between 3 and 4 hours on weekdays (e.g. 3 hours on Monday, 4 hours on Tuesday, 3 hours on Wednesday, 4 hours on Thursday etc.) and at weekends I did about 6 - 8 hours on Saturday and 4 - 5 hours on Sunday. 3 hours on a weekday night is more than enough, and doing some exam practice at weekends with past papers sounds great. I'd say you're doing plenty of revision.

Thanks for replying and answering my question, I feel much more calmer now.
It really depends. I was incredibly lazy during my GCSE years. I never did homework, and I only revised for subjects I liked during the final two weeks.
Still came out with almost entirely all A-A*, with nothing less than a B.

If you learn the course information and exam technique in the lessons, you don't need anything else.
I also started my revision last week in the holidays.
Now I am back on school routine, I revise for 3hrs30mins on a shool day and 5 hours on a weekend.
I would definitely say you are revising enough, and like someone else said, make sure you use your time effectively!
Good luck!
Original post by M00ND4NC3R
I also started my revision last week in the holidays.
Now I am back on school routine, I revise for 3hrs30mins on a shool day and 5 hours on a weekend.
I would definitely say you are revising enough, and like someone else said, make sure you use your time effectively!
Good luck!

How do you have time? Do you not get a lot of school homework, tests and hobbies?
Original post by ScienceFantatic
How do you have time? Do you not get a lot of school homework, tests and hobbies?

I have scouts on a monday evening but other than that I don't do much else. Although, I work 8 hours Saturday and 6 hours sunday as well.

I usually wake up at 5am, do 2 hours of revision before school and one hour after school, that way, I fit it all in.
Don't you feel like you are overworking yourself by doing 8 hours on saturday? If not, how do you manage it
Reply 7
Why does everyone count how much revision they do in hours?

It IS NOT about how many hours of revision you do, it is about how effective it is. Set out to cover 2-4 topics a night, taking regular breaks and drinking plenty of water. The amount of time spent is usually not relevant.

Remember, you can spend three hours looking at a book, or spend 15 minutes on a topic you have decided to do, or learning flashcards, and it would be much more effective. There's no need to overwork yourself just so you can say that you do x hours of revision a night.
Personally, I do about 4 Hours. I try to make myself do 6 hours, but I get easily distracted hence i do 4 with, 2, 1 hour breaks.
Reply 9
Original post by AlexisSanchez2
Hi everyone

Basically I was just wondering how long do you revise for in your build up to your exams.

I have started revising last week, during the holidays for my exams (which is starting in early may). I revised 4 hours a day and dedicated my weekends doing past papers. I came home today after school and carried on this similar routine, but however I have revised for only 3 hours before getting tired and exhausted. I am fairly worried that the time I'm studying for is not enough in the build up to my exams. As a result I was wondering if you can give me you opinion whether its enough to get A or A* and if not what can I do. I would greatly appreciate it if you could kindly give me your feedback.

Im doing gcses and i havent started since mocks. what kind of revision are you doing right now?
gcses? pfft. i never revised for my gcses
Original post by under8ed
Im doing gcses and i havent started since mocks. what kind of revision are you doing right now?

For science I'm going over the B1 C1 P1/B2 C2 P2 and doing a past paper on them, either Saturday or Sunday. I record my scores and check where I have lost marks on; afterwards I will then go over or revise that topic again. I'm going to start revising for the other modules in about 2 weeks. I use this same method for maths, history and business. English on the other hand is totally different; for literature, I make notes and flashcards on the storyline of the books I'm studying at school. I then test myself by writing a pea under time condition based on the themes presented by the author. I also do past papers on literature in the weekends. For language I just practice past papers and give it to my teacher to mark it. I don't revise a lot for Computing mainly because the exam is 30% and the controlled assessments are 70%, as a result I just make notes and flashcards and then do a past paper if I feel confident.
Original post by under8ed

I highly recommended you start revising as soon as possible. Once you begin, you slowly get used to it and before you know it starts to become a habit.
Original post by AlexisSanchez2
I highly recommended you start revising as soon as possible. Once you begin, you slowly get used to it and before you know it starts to become a habit.

Ha ha i hope it does become a habit. Thanks for your advice i appreciate it!
Hi there!

Looks like you are dedicating a lot of time to revision - and looking up past papers is very useful as well!
I can probably guess that if you continue with this, you will get a fairly decent sum of A/A* grades, which is pretty good!

Good luck, hope you do well!

Leo

Quick Reply

Latest