The Student Room Group

Should I go into law or medicine?

I am interested in both(economics has crossed by mind also). Currently in high school(Pre-IB) I don't have issues studying any subject if I want/need to. In the past years I was highly set on medicine, with a few periods when I did prefer law or business/economics over medicine. Now with the deadline for my IB subject choices closing on me, I am totally confused whether to pursue law or medicine. The biggest thing that steers me away from medicine is the length of the studies. 11-13 years of studies in total is a bit off putting. I'm also good in natural sciences( especially bio and chem). Also the unpredictability of healthcare by the time I finish my studies is worrying me.
On the other hand I've always been well capable of reading academic texts and righting essays on them. I enjoy history and civics, and I'm also certain I would also enjoy law. I also enjoy paperwork to a certain extent.
I'm really confused which I should set my eyes on. Hopefully somebody in this community could provide some useful insight and information to help me resolve my issue. Ofc, in the end it should be my own decision, which shouldn't be affected by anyone else than me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Medicine.
Reply 2
Original post by Howard
Medicine.

Any reasons for this? Could you explain why?
Reply 3
Original post by bubitom
Any reasons for this? Could you explain why?

"Generally" better paid.
95% chance of finding paid work.
Probably a lot more satisfying
Of more benefit to society
Greater respect amongst peers
"I'm almost certain that I'll enjoy law"
I think you have your answer

If you are passionate about it, there's no doubt that you'll get very far :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Howard
"Generally" better paid.
95% chance of finding paid work.
Probably a lot more satisfying
Of more benefit to society
Greater respect amongst peers

doctors > lawyers

(in the grand scheme of LIFE and making a difference to humanity wooooooooooooooo)
Reply 6
Original post by Milzime
doctors > lawyers

(in the grand scheme of LIFE and making a difference to humanity wooooooooooooooo)

Exactly. Far better profession.
I feel like lots of people only take into account money and prestige :/
Original post by bubitom
I am interested in both(economics has crossed by mind also). Currently in high school(Pre-IB) I don't have issues studying any subject if I want/need to. In the past years I was highly set on medicine, with a few periods when I did prefer law or business/economics over medicine. Now with the deadline for my IB subject choices closing on me, I am totally confused whether to pursue law or medicine. The biggest thing that steers me away from medicine is the length of the studies. 11-13 years of studies in total is a bit off putting. I'm also good in natural sciences( especially bio and chem). Also the unpredictability of healthcare by the time I finish my studies is worrying me.
On the other hand I've always been well capable of reading academic texts and righting essays on them. I enjoy history and civics, and I'm also certain I would also enjoy law. I also enjoy paperwork to a certain extent.
I'm really confused which I should set my eyes on. Hopefully somebody in this community could provide some useful insight and information to help me resolve my issue. Ofc, in the end it should be my own decision, which shouldn't be affected by anyone else than me.

From reading this, you sound more suited towards doing law. Medicine is not a career path to go into just because you're good at natural sciences. Your reasons have to be a lot more specific and a lot more in depth because like you said it does requires yeaaars of studying and is hard enough to get into medical school in the first place.
Base your decision of what type of lifestyle you'd rather have, but maybe you should give more thought into what you really do like/know specifically about the two career paths and not make decisions based on what random people on TSR say.
The best way to decide is this is by doing work experience in both sectors - you'll really get a first hand look/judgement that way
Pick the one were you don't have to lie to actually make big cash. :tongue:
Original post by bubitom

Slightly concerned that you say you are having second thoughts about medicine because of the long amounts (11-13years) of study. A big part of wanting to be a medic is being passionate about embarking on that learning curve whereby you will continue to learn and be proved wrong until the day that you retire. If you are not up for lifelong learning/study, medicine is definitely not for you.
Original post by Howard

"Generally" better paid. - absolutely NOT true
95% chance of finding paid work. - meh, fair enough - not a reason to do medicine over any other profession though
Probably a lot more satisfying - defo agree
Of more benefit to society - arguable
Greater respect amongst peers NOT a reason to do medicine over any other profession

^^
Original post by surina16
I feel like lots of people only take into account money and prestige :/

You are right but at the end of the day it is mostly about money..
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
You are right but at the end of the day it is mostly about money..

It just shouldn't be though with medicine. If you go into medicine for the money, you are mad
Become a revolutionary demagogue .

You should be passionate about medicine if you want to do it. Do something that really interests you. Leave that med school place for someone who is genuinely passionate and serious about becoming a doctor.
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
It just shouldn't be though with medicine. If you go into medicine for the money, you are mad

Of course you should also have a passion for what you do, that is important don't get me wrong. But your income from your work is the most important factor
Reply 17
Original post by gabby07
^^

According to this the average family doctor is raking in a bit under 100k a year:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11856441/Average-GP-pay-dips-below-100000-for-first-time-in-a-decade.html

What does the average high street solicitor make? Probably less than half that.
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Of course you should also have a passion for what you do, that is important don't get me wrong. But your income from your work is the most important factor

Having a sustainable income, I agree, is very important. But if you are a typical person doing Medicine you will not end up well-off - you will be able to live a lifestyle that is about average for a working professional. This is what I mean by you would be mad to go into medicine for the money (apart from the fact that you require an actual passion, which you mention quite rightly)

If you want to earn stack-loads of money, do finance or something and get a top job with a big firm. The point I am making is that Junior Docs currently get paid considerably less than Aldi shelf-stackers.
Do law.

You're an absolute maniac to want to go into medicine in the UK given what is currently happening.

Latest

Trending

Trending