The Student Room Group

Physics Static Electricity Dangers and uses (Edexcel P2)

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody can please explain to me the dangers of static electricity as I do not quite understand. I particularly don't understand the part about the paint spraying and the insecticide spraying.

Thanks,
For the uses of paint spraying and insecticides when the paint/chemical comes out of the nozzle it's positively charged and the frame/plant is previously negatively charged. The two charges attract to one another giving the frame/plant an even coating of the paint/chemical all the way around. Also the paint/chemical particles repel each other when they come out of nozzle because their all positively charged creating an equally dispersed cloud so less paint/chemicals are used.

For dangers when fuelling an aircraft/cars the fuel rubs against the pipe, so a charge can build up and create a spark. Thus lighting the fuel. To prevent this the vechile is "earthed" using a metal earthing wire which is connected to the ground. This then transfers any electrons which could build up a charge are transferred into the ground.

I know its a bit long but hope this is useful to you
Ahh someone else on Edexcel for science! I thought I was the only one on TSR :tongue:

I can't really add on the person above, they covered it all haha :smile:
Original post by H.ScottMurfitt
For the uses of paint spraying and insecticides when the paint/chemical comes out of the nozzle it's positively charged and the frame/plant is previously negatively charged. The two charges attract to one another giving the frame/plant an even coating of the paint/chemical all the way around. Also the paint/chemical particles repel each other when they come out of nozzle because their all positively charged creating an equally dispersed cloud so less paint/chemicals are used.

For dangers when fuelling an aircraft/cars the fuel rubs against the pipe, so a charge can build up and create a spark. Thus lighting the fuel. To prevent this the vechile is "earthed" using a metal earthing wire which is connected to the ground. This then transfers any electrons which could build up a charge are transferred into the ground.

I know its a bit long but hope this is useful to you

Omg thank you so much, I understand it so much better now. Again thanks a lot.
Original post by caitlinford3
Ahh someone else on Edexcel for science! I thought I was the only one on TSR :tongue:

I can't really add on the person above, they covered it all haha :smile:

Hahha thanks anyways, and how you finding everything this year for science. I just started physics yesterday in class, so far i hate it lol.
Original post by 11lmizo
Hahha thanks anyways, and how you finding everything this year for science. I just started physics yesterday in class, so far i hate it lol.

I do triple so we started B2 / C2 / P2 in like May/June last year, so right now I'm in the middle of P3 / B3 / C3. B3 is surprisingly easier than B1, P3 is pretty hard and C3 is a killer lmfao, sooo many equations we need to remember!

Good luck :smile: C2 gets easier towards the end, B2 is alright and P2 gets harder at the end :frown:
Original post by caitlinford3
I do triple so we started B2 / C2 / P2 in like May/June last year, so right now I'm in the middle of P3 / B3 / C3. B3 is surprisingly easier than B1, P3 is pretty hard and C3 is a killer lmfao, sooo many equations we need to remember!

Good luck :smile: C2 gets easier towards the end, B2 is alright and P2 gets harder at the end :frown:

Oh is it, that's a shame, I've never liked physics lol. And thank you good luck to you too. How do you usually revise for science by the way?
Original post by 11lmizo
Oh is it, that's a shame, I've never liked physics lol. And thank you good luck to you too. How do you usually revise for science by the way?

Na I've never liked physics either. I hate physics and chemistry so it was probably stupid of me choosing triple :frown:

Thank you :smile: & I revise mainly through flash cards, mind maps, re-writing things from the revision guides in my own words, past papers and ask your teacher to print off the check list specification for you! There's 56 science topics for triple, and 38 for additional (or if you did core already then you will have 18 topics) and they really help to tick off when you've revised a certain topic because in AQA and other exam boards they're already divided and people know what they're doing. But for us on Edexcel it's kind of a big mess of science with no clear dividers LOL

Quick Reply

Latest