The Student Room Group

Notifications for Watched Threads

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
This would be insanely annoying. No, please don't.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I really like this idea because I think it would definitely come in helpful for newer members :beard: :woo:

What about having the options to stop getting notifications for a thread if you want - a little bit like Facebook allows you to turn off notifications for certain posts? :beard:

That way people can have notifications for threads they really care about, but switch them off for the ones that are less important to them.

That then requires more effort to watch/un watch specific threads...

Like, for new users when they make few threads/don't participate in many threads it's fine as they wont get many notifications.
A lot of heavier users watch a lot of threads and itd get very annoying very quickly.

I'd rather have this opt in, than opt out tbh, as I think less people will want this than you think. Either that, or a separate notifications tab as someone above said...

I feel adding these to the main notifications tab will actually reduce the number of threads people watch, and so actually worsen the problem you're trying to solve.
I don't understand the technicalities of forums so tell me if this is impossible, but can't you just make the first post in every thread automatically quote the OP?
Original post by Snufkin
I don't understand the technicalities of forums so tell me if this is impossible, but can't you just make the first post in every thread automatically quote the OP?

If you could (I suspect you can, but probably not high on list of priorities for dev time...) would it be beneficial... just get members annoyed at being quoted so much when people strat going off topic etc...
Original post by mobbsy91
If you could (I suspect you can, but probably not high on list of priorities for dev time...) would it be beneficial... just get members annoyed at being quoted so much when people strat going off topic etc...

It'd only one quote per thread? Not that annoying.
Original post by Snufkin
It'd only one quote per thread? Not that annoying.

Sorry, when reading it I jumbled up the words :facepalm: Didn't notice the bit about first post... in this case, agreed, that would be beneficial.
Original post by PQ
That already exists for watched threads
update type.png

This is for email notifications though right?

I mean you'd be able to turn off on site notifications for each thread from the notification bar itself :beard:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
This is for email notifications though right?

I mean you'd be able to turn off on site notifications for each thread from the notification bar itself :beard:

Which could just be added as another update option so minimal dev needed.
Original post by mobbsy91
That then requires more effort to watch/un watch specific threads...

I feel adding these to the main notifications tab will actually reduce the number of threads people watch, and so actually worsen the problem you're trying to solve.

Yes... I'm talking about being able to turn off just on-site notifications directly from the notification menu - you'd still have the watched thread showing up in the watched thread widget :woo:

I think you're right that having notifications without the option to turn them off could drive users away from watching threads.
Original post by PQ
Which could just be added as another update option so minimal dev needed.

Ahh right, I see what you mean. :smile:

I just posted above, but I think it would have to be the option to turn off only the on-site notifications, but leave the thread being watched so it still appears in the watched thread widget. People might want to be watching threads, but don't want/need to be notified every time there's a new reply - especially for busy megathreads and stuff. :beard:
Original post by SeanFM
Indeed, but possibly with a more complex rule (if necessary) that if you have been quoted there (but haven't seen it yet) and other replies are made after that, you don't need to be notified about them as you can see those replies after you've seen the quote, and then this can be reset after that until someone quotes you again or replies to the thread. (:s-smilie:)

Makes sense.
Original post by mscaffrey
I think this is the best idea, because I check my watched threads every so often using the widget but I would like to be reminded to check the threads I've started more often.

Alternatively, you could put a banner at the top of every page saying PLEASE QUOTE PEOPLE with a link to a quoting tutorial because sometimes I get sad when people don't quote me and then I randomly see a reply to me a few days later that I had no idea was there (especially in fast moving threads). When I think of all the things I haven't seen (and places I haven't been)...

Yes, this is exactly the problem. I think encouraging people to quote is definitely a good idea.
OK, thanks for your thoughts everyone :biggrin:

How about either...

This only works on Threads you have started (and you can turn off the notification without unwatching as these two things would be separate), or...

After submitting the thread, you get a little pop up thingy asking "Would you like to be notified of replies to this thread? Yes / No / Never ask me this again" - the notifications would then work as I originally described, with the first reply and no more until you read it again.

And I guess for both, on the thread or in the notification there needs to be a way to turn off receiving the notifications too.

Jack
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Captain Jack
OK, thanks for your thoughts everyone :biggrin:

How about either...

This only works on Threads you have started (and you can turn off the notification without unwatching as these two things would be separate, or...

After submitting the thread, you get a little pop up thingy asking "Would you like to be notified of replies to this thread? Yes / No / Never ask me this again" - the notifications would then work as I originally described, with the first reply and no more until you read it again.

And I guess for both, on the thread or in the notification there needs to be a way to turn off receiving the notifications too.

Jack

If you do this as a separate function to the "Update type" on watched threads you'll cause more confusion to people who are trying to stop either the emails or the notifications.

Most people unfamiliar with TSR terminology will assume that "notifications" means email notifications and not an orange number appearing on the menu bar when they log in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending