The Student Room Group

Contacting a current PhD student

Would it be weird to message her on linkedin to ask her questions? I can't find her email anywhere.

She went to my university so we have some common ground and perhaps she might be more inclined to help compared to other students in the course..?
Uhhh...I'd have to say it depends on what you are asking for. Are there any other 'official' methods of contact (office hours, tutorials etc)?
Assuming you want to ask her academic questions - go for it. Just don't bombard her with questions straight off - if she responds she's the one doing you a favour.
Original post by zombiejon
Uhhh...I'd have to say it depends on what you are asking for. Are there any other 'official' methods of contact (office hours, tutorials etc)?

Original post by Duncan2012
Assuming you want to ask her academic questions - go for it. Just don't bombard her with questions straight off - if she responds she's the one doing you a favour.

Questions like how well the course has prepared her for the phd programme, what sort of level the technical questions are at for interview, an example perhaps, etc
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Questions like how well the course has prepared her for the phd programme, what sort of level the technical questions are at for interview, an example perhaps, etc

LinkedIn should be fine. Having a solid intro would be beneficial as well.

Just a warning - you might not get a response. I know I have a tendency to ignore undergraduates randomly emailing me, although those emails didn't really provide a background of the sender, and were asking about whether there were any openings for postgrad students.
LinkedIn should be fine. Having a solid intro would be beneficial as well.

Just a warning - you might not get a response. I know I have a tendency to ignore undergraduates randomly emailing me, although those emails didn't really provide a background of the sender, and were asking about whether there were any openings for postgrad students.

I was thinking something like, 'hey I'm really interested in applying for x phd programme and I noticed that you're also a y graduate. Is it okay if I ask you a couple of questions about the programme?' Or something like that

I wasn't planning to dive straight into the questions haha
I was thinking something like, 'hey I'm really interested in applying for x phd programme and I noticed that you're also a y graduate. Is it okay if I ask you a couple of questions about the programme?' Or something like that

I wasn't planning to dive straight into the questions haha

Something along those lines would work eg introduce yourself, provide a brief background, play to the common link, and ask if she's open to answering a few questions.
Something along those lines would work eg introduce yourself, provide a brief background, play to the common link, and ask if she's open to answering a few questions.

Great, thanks a lot :smile:
I wouldnt find that uncoomon, i am on linkin and i have been sent emails before regarding questions, i'm sure they will be fine you asking them questions, as they have bee nthrough the course as well :smile:

Summer
Nope. Very common when networking. If someone ignores you, move on to the next one.
Reply 10
when i had a phd interview i emailed about 10 people whom i didnt know and got a few replies and even met a few of them on the day as well.
i think if u want to get ahead and do really well in phd interview it would be a big benefit to u.

P.S: it wont make you getting a place any more different. the student wont relay this info to the supervisor and make u sound more appealing beforehand... in case u were thinking along those lines.

good luck :smile:
Thanks everyone!

Original post by annony
when i had a phd interview i emailed about 10 people whom i didnt know and got a few replies and even met a few of them on the day as well.
i think if u want to get ahead and do really well in phd interview it would be a big benefit to u.

P.S: it wont make you getting a place any more different. the student wont relay this info to the supervisor and make u sound more appealing beforehand... in case u were thinking along those lines.

good luck :smile:

I didn't have that in mind at all, I just want to find out how to prepare myself for it - it's quite a new course (started taking students 2 years ago) so there is limited information about how to prepare etc.
Awkward, I tried to message her but couldn't because I'm not on her connections list and I don't have premium :lol: what is life
Does your university have an alumni website you can contact her through? Does she have a profile with contact details on her current university website? Unless you can guess her email ([email protected] etc?) you might be out of luck. I wouldn't use Facebook for this.
Original post by Duncan2012
Does your university have an alumni website you can contact her through? Does she have a profile with contact details on her current university website? Unless you can guess her email ([email protected] etc?) you might be out of luck. I wouldn't use Facebook for this.

Derp there's a contacts search on the Oxford website hahah
Reply 15
Awkward, I tried to message her but couldn't because I'm not on her connections list and I don't have premium :lol: what is life

does the university have her profile somewhere and maybe an email address? try connecting with her first and if she accepts then u can message her :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending