The Student Room Group

Don't know what university to firm

Yes, it's another "I have no clue what uni to pick" thread that TSR knows and loves :tongue: I'm not making any decisions right now, I'm just interested in what people think really. I've got offers from Nottingham and Exeter for PPE, AAA and AAB respectively. I like Nottingham's campus and city more. I like the modules from both unis. I want to go into postgraduate study in politics and economics, and I've heard that Nottingham's economics department is excellent, which is especially important to me. I know everyone hates domestic rankings on here, however with relatively big differences in the philosophy and politics rankings, is it right to say Exeter is the better uni for this course? PPE is a very new course at Nottingham, so it's slightly off putting that I'll be part of a guinea pig year group.
Original post by blackdiamond97
Yes, it's another "I have no clue what uni to pick" thread that TSR knows and loves :tongue: I'm not making any decisions right now, I'm just interested in what people think really. I've got offers from Nottingham and Exeter for PPE, AAA and AAB respectively. I like Nottingham's campus and city more. I like the modules from both unis. I want to go into postgraduate study in politics and economics, and I've heard that Nottingham's economics department is excellent, which is especially important to me. I know everyone hates domestic rankings on here, however with relatively big differences in the philosophy and politics rankings, is it right to say Exeter is the better uni for this course? PPE is a very new course at Nottingham, so it's slightly off putting that I'll be part of a guinea pig year group.

If a course is very new, that's probably going to affect its ranking. It sounds like you prefer Nottingham to Exeter in general, and this is far more important than uni rankings. With the exception of a very few professions, employers are far more interested in your degree grade than university ranking.

However, I can see being part of a guinea pig group would be off-putting- how many years have they been running the course, and what do current students have to say about it? Are they changing aspects of the course for your year group as well?

How do you feel about Exeter? Is it a uni you could see yourself going to and being happy at?
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If a course is very new, that's probably going to affect its ranking. It sounds like you prefer Nottingham to Exeter in general, and this is far more important than uni rankings. With the exception of a very few professions, employers are far more interested in your degree grade than university ranking.

However, I can see being part of a guinea pig group would be off-putting- how many years have they been running the course, and what do current students have to say about it? Are they changing aspects of the course for your year group as well?

How do you feel about Exeter? Is it a uni you could see yourself going to and being happy at?

Sorry for the late reply :colondollar:

With the exception of a very few professions, employers are far more interested in your degree grade than university ranking.

I'd like to go into a career than combines economics and politics, but I've heard that these type of professions can be quite snobby about unis?

how many years have they been running the course, and what do current students have to say about it? Are they changing aspects of the course for your year group as well?

I'm going to a offer holder day next week - I'll bear those questions in mind!

I do like Exeter, but coming from London, it just seemed a bit dead to me. To be fair I didn't really go into the town and explored properly, unlike Nottingham
Sorry for the late reply :colondollar:

I'd like to go into a career than combines economics and politics, but I've heard that these type of professions can be quite snobby about unis?

I'm going to a offer holder day next week - I'll bear those questions in mind!

I do like Exeter, but coming from London, it just seemed a bit dead to me. To be fair I didn't really go into the town and explored properly, unlike Nottingham

No worries :smile: I don't think Exeter would be preferred that much to Nottingham, they're both Russell Group unis and pretty respected in my opinion. Law is one where it might make a difference, but even then you could mitigate it with the right extra-curriculars and work experience. The course being newer might be an issue for some people, but I don't think it would be a big issue.

I'm from Plymouth (or close by anyway), so my opinion of Exeter isn't exactly unbiased. It's a small city, and not very diverse. Lots of people have a good time there, but in the past the uni/SU have been accused of racism. I haven't heard anything recently, this was all about 5 years ago, but coming from London, I can see how you would find it a bit small town-ish.

As I say, lots of people have a great time there, so you just have to work out if it's the right fit for you. Are you visiting Exeter again, or just Nottingham?
No worries :smile: I don't think Exeter would be preferred that much to Nottingham, they're both Russell Group unis and pretty respected in my opinion. Law is one where it might make a difference, but even then you could mitigate it with the right extra-curriculars and work experience. The course being newer might be an issue for some people, but I don't think it would be a big issue.

I'm from Plymouth (or close by anyway), so my opinion of Exeter isn't exactly unbiased. It's a small city, and not very diverse. Lots of people have a good time there, but in the past the uni/SU have been accused of racism. I haven't heard anything recently, this was all about 5 years ago, but coming from London, I can see how you would find it a bit small town-ish.

As I say, lots of people have a great time there, so you just have to work out if it's the right fit for you. Are you visiting Exeter again, or just Nottingham?

Definitely Nottingham, maybe Exeter
Definitely Nottingham, maybe Exeter

I would visit again (for a weekend during term time if you can). That's when you'll probably get the best sense of what the social life is like, if that's important to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending