The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Fashion - Course Ambassador Q&A

Hi I'm Ellie and I am a third year studying BA Fashion Communication and Styling at Middlesex University. I am also Course ambassador for BA Fashion Design, BA Fashion Textiles and BA Fashion Communication and Styling.

I'm available to help answer any questions you have about the Middlesex Fashion courses or the university in general from a student's perspective!

Ellie
Middlesex Course Ambassador
Fashion
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here are some FAQ's for the Fashion courses at Middlesex, hope you find these helpful and feel free to ask me anything else!

1. Do I need to have studied a foundation course?
It’s not a compulsory requirement,however I found that the skills I developed and work I produced during my foundation year really helped me build a suitable portfolio, which is required in interviews for the fashion courses. I was able to start my degree with skills such as Photoshop that have definitely given me an advantage in certain areas such as Photography and Art Direction.

2. Will I need an interview?
Yes, you will be invited for a one-to-one interview in which you will show your portfolio and talk about your work, creative interests, subject knowledge and career aspirations. Of all the interviews I went to, my Middlesex interview was the least scary and intimidating, the interview was really relaxed and enjoyable!

3. What should I include in my portfolio?
You want to include work that relates to the area of fashion you want to pursue, and communicates your personal style and aesthetic. This can be final outcomes, sketchbook work, personal projects ect. If you’re deciding between 2 projects to show, bring both!

4. What areas of Fashion will my course cover?
You spend first year working on projects that introduce you to all areas of your course, for example in BA Fashion Communication you work on photography, art direction, graphics,illustration, styling, show production, film. Then in second year you can specialize in one area you really enjoyed or excelled in.

5. How will I build on my industry experience?
There are plenty of opportunities to gain work experience. The main the second year 6-week work placement module.You find your placement yourself and create a blog documenting every day. I went to menswear designers AGI & SAM and worked as their marketing intern for 7 weeks. You also have the option to take a year out in between second and third year to do a year long industry placement.

6. Are there course expenses?
Middlesex University is amazing for providing students with free facilities and materials! For the fashion courses,you have free equipment loan including Canon 5D cameras, Tripods ect. Printing is free!! And as fashion students we print a lot for sketchbooks and research books so this is a life saver. Stuff like fabrics and papers you will have to source yourself, however the university does have a store you can buy all the basics you will need and sells it all very cheap prices.

7. Is there any help to pay for fees and costs of university?
Aside from student finance loans that help cover your tuition fees and living costs. There are scholarships you can apply for to help with the costs of studying at uni. I applied for the Middlesex achievement scholarship and received £3000 in my first year, just because I got good grades at school and had chosen Middlesex as my first choice.There are also employment opportunities within the university that are very flexible, pay well and fits in with your studies.

8. What about extra-curricular opportunities?
There are loads of things to get involved in outside of your course. We have a gym on campus and lots of sports teams to join whether you want to play for fun or play competitively. There are tons of societies to get involved with such as a new fashion society, debating society, LGBT society, there’s even a coffee society! There are also trips and charity challenges abroad such as Kilimanjaro Challenge in Tanzania, and trips to Thailand, Romania and Uganda. The SU regularly puts on club nights, film marathon nights, speed meeting events and more.

9. Where can I find student accommodation?
Middlesex has 4 different student halls that you can apply for. Three of which are in walking distance to university, the other a ten minute bus ride away. There are also accommodation pages for students to group up and find a privately rented house or flat to share together.

10.Why choose to study in London?
London is the best place to study a fashion course. You have all the best galleries. Exhibitions, designers, shops,resources, and events right on your doorstop. Its great for work and intern opportunities with all the designers based here and events such as London Fashion Week for example.

Ellie
Fashion
(edited 8 years ago)
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
How do you find out more about the scholarships?
Reply 3
Original post by madisonmai
How do you find out more about the scholarships?

http://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/scholarships-and-bursaries

Use this link to find all the information on scholarships, as well as contact details for further information. Hope that helps :smile:

Ellie
Fashion
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
MY WEEK 18th 24thJan.

On Monday we had a sign up photography workshop in the studios with one of the photography technicians. We got inducted on the brand new 5D cameras that have just been bought for our course, we can now take them out for location shoots and personal work. Will gave us loads of tips and tricks for shooting on them and we were able to ask him to teach us anything specific we wanted to learn. The session was so helpful, I organised our group another one for a few weeks time, to focus on studio lighting.

On Tuesday we had some of last years graduates give us a presentation on their final year projects and what they have gone on to do after graduation. They also stayed for our tutorials with Phillip and David and gave us some reassuring guidance on our research and development work.

On Thursday we had guest speaker Peter Thomas talk to us about research. We looked over our last research book and spreads from our current development books, he taught us some writing techniques to help us with our annotation and analysis. After this session I was helping on the RAG stall at the refreshers fair. I was selling T-shirts for a Camden pub crawl we had organised for that night.

On Friday I was just working on my own project in the reprographics room, I was scanning and editing some cyanotype prints I had made in the darkrooms before the Christmas break.

Ellie
Fashion
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
MY WEEK 25th –31st Jan.

This week I have been focusing on confirming all the contributors for my magazine, chasing emails and requesting artworks and interviews ect. I have begun to utilize Instagram for this, instead of relying on finding creatives online. I have also been researching current publications visiting art bookshops and newsagents around London, scanning and analyzing the publications I selected in my research and development book.

I also photographed for one of the stylists on my course over the weekend, we did a location shoot for her styling portfolio. Though this work isn’t for my personal project, you are constantly collaborating on our course, we worked together a lot in second year and I can add the final images to my website.

On Thursday we had a forum, this is where all the students meet with our tutors in one of our studios. This is so our tutors can speak to the group as a whole about any upcoming events, submissions, guest lectures, and our progress as a group, and is also an opportunity for us to voice any concerns, make requests for workshops ect or ask any questions. This time we got to find out more about our upcoming trip to Paris in February!

If there's anything you'd like to know about any of the Fashion courses, let me know and I'll do my best to answer your questions!

Ellie
Fashion
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
MY WEEK 1st –7th Feb

This week I finished finalising the content for my magazine, however I am still chasing some contributors for hi res files and interviews they have agreed to send me, relying on other people to fit to my deadlines and time schedule has been stressful.

I began designing my magazine on Adobe InDesign. I had researched and analysed art direction and layouts in my development book. I experimented with font, format and layout to produce two different samples to test print next week. I also had a brainstorming session with one of the writers working with me to come up with a name for my magazine.

At the weekend I visited Shepherds Falkiner’s in Victoria to research art papers I might want to print on. I got to look through thousands of samples and noted down the papers I might want to order for printing. As I found Shepherds so expensive, I also placed a sample order with GF Smith,hopefully those will arrive next week so I can test print on different paper styles.

I also received my feedback for my dissertation draft. Now I can use this feedback to improve on specific areas of my essay that are letting me down. I can also book tutorials with my dissertation tutor to review the feedback and any improvements I have made since.

Ellie
Fashion
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
MY WEEK 8th –14th Feb
This week I produced a final flat plan for my magazine and finished designing before my one to one tutorial on Tuesday. I reviewed everything with my tutor and made some final changes before exporting it ready for print. I also picked papers from my sample order to test print on. I decided to produce one copy printed on a variety of art papers, and another printed on a white uncoated paper. I printed and bound my final magazine at uni in the reprographics department, it’s great to have the support from technicians there to produce the best outcome.

Wednesday night I went to a launch party for Lion Coffee and Records, I went with some people I did a work placement with and it was great to network! I met a guy who runs a creative branding agency in London, and with graduation looming I want to get some more experience interning with him over Easter break.

On Friday I photographed a tribe themed menswear shoot for one of the stylists on my course, you can book the studios, camera and equipment for free at Middlesex and the photography technicians are there to help you set up any lighting you want.

I spent the weekend seeing friends and family around London and working on my research and development book for my submission on Tuesday.

Ellie
Fashion
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
MY WEEK 15th –21st Feb

This week was my submission week! I spent all of Monday (and most of Monday night!) in the library adding the final annotations to my development book and final outcome. For my submission on Tuesday we had a one-to-one review of my development book, final outcome and evaluation. It went really well and we finished by talking about ideas for the third and final module. We also talked about my plans for after graduation - I’d quite like to apply for jobs at creative agencies who deal with art directing and branding for different clients, and also junior art direction and editing roles at various magazines.

After a much-needed drink at our local with some of the fashion comms students, I spent the rest of the week working in the SU, designing campaign material for the MDXSU elections. I’ve designed manifestos and posters for the SU President and Vice President.

I also went to one of the events I had helped organise atthe SU on Thursday night, we collaborated with one of the student DJ groups andall the money went to charity.

I’m spending Sunday packing as tomorrow morning I’m going to Paris with my course. I’m expecting it to be somewhat educational but mostly likely boozy being the week after hand in!

Ellie
Fashion
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey Ellie!
I absolutely loved middlesex and want to put it as my first choice! i have a few questions..

At college we basically have to put EVERYTHING in our sketchbooks because that's the main thing that gets marked. I was wondering if this is the same at uni or are the sketchbooks more for like you?

Also, I remember the tutors saying its 9-5 every day and money is something I'm kinda worried about at uni, do you/your friends find it hard to fit in a part time job with the amount of work or do you think it's realistically manageable?

One question I didn't get to ask at my interview is about work placements. Do you guys do work placements? And if so do you know what kinda places? The thought of a work placement anywhere sounds great for the experience!

Mia Rodney :smile:
Original post by Mia Rodney
Hey Ellie!
I absolutely loved middlesex and want to put it as my first choice! i have a few questions..

At college we basically have to put EVERYTHING in our sketchbooks because that's the main thing that gets marked. I was wondering if this is the same at uni or are the sketchbooks more for like you?

Also, I remember the tutors saying its 9-5 every day and money is something I'm kinda worried about at uni, do you/your friends find it hard to fit in a part time job with the amount of work or do you think it's realistically manageable?

One question I didn't get to ask at my interview is about work placements. Do you guys do work placements? And if so do you know what kinda places? The thought of a work placement anywhere sounds great for the experience!

Mia Rodney :smile:

Hi Mia! Glad to hear you loved it so much!

In answer to your questions about sketchbooks, at Middlesex your sketchbooks become much more refined than at college, in fact, by the end of first year most of us were producing our sketchbooks on InDesign and printing and binding them into books just before submission, this way, you can really edit down your research and development to make sure you're communicating your ideas in the best way. Although I often include ideas and research that I have decided against using but have decided was useful in the process - like college this will tick the boxes of analysis and evaluation when being marked. Your sketchbooks become more professional looking research books on this course. As for content, projects can be as personal or as impersonal as you like, after first year, nearly all your work will be entirely self directed, and one thing I love about the tutors on my course is that they really encourage you to develop your personal aesthetic and interests. When I compare my research book to some of the other girl's books on my course, it's crazy how different they are!

The course definitely isn't 9-5, 5 days a week. You will have timetabled sessions, workshops and lectures during the week, then you will continue to work independently on your projects in your own time. I don't know which Fashion course you are applying for but for example on my course: Fashion Communication and Styling, in 1st year I was timetabled a few hours a day, 4 days a week, in second year I was timetabled 3-4 days a week, and in 3rd year, I'm in 1 hour for a one-to-one session on Tuesday, 1 hour lecture followed by a 1 hour seminar on Wednesday, and 4-6 every other Thursday. Basically as you progress, you'll have less group workshops and more independent study to work on your own projects. Nearly all of us work part time jobs the whole way through uni, and there are lots of flexible employment opportunities offered at Middlesex to work as a student ambassador for example.

In second year every fashion student has a 6-week full time work placement module! It's so fab, you can go wherever you want and tutors will help and guide you through the application process, helping you design amazing CVs and pointing you to all the right places to find the best work placement. I know a lot of the design and textiles students went to assist some of the designers in the run up to London Fashion Week including Ed Marler, Nasir Mazhar, Topman Design, Ashley Williams and Louise Alsop. Many of the Fashion Comms students went to magazines, PR agencies, model casting agencies, or to assist stylists or photographers. I went to menswear designers AGI & SAM as a marketing intern.

Hope that answers your questions!

Ellie
Fashion
MY WEEK 22nd –27thFeb

On Monday morning we met our tutors at St Pancreas to get the Eurostar to Paris. The uni had subsidised the trip by £100 each to help cover travel and accommodation which meant the trip was super cheap and affordable even for students! Our tutors had organised mornings full of exhibitions, museums, shops and gallery visits to help inspire us and use as research for our projects. These included Fondation Louis Vuitton, Palais de Tokyo, Pompidou Centre, Collette, Le Bal, Musee de Orsay. We had the afternoons and evenings free to sightsee, shop, visit more exhibitions, (or just go to thepub!). We had a fab week, I’ll be uploading some pictures to the course ambassadors Instagram soon so check it out : mdxcourseambassadors

MY WEEK 28thFeb –6th Mar
After a well deserved break in Paris, we begun the week with one-to-one feedback tutorials on our last submission. The tutors go through all of your marks to show what you achieved in what areas, for example presentation,research and analysis, fashion and cultural awareness ect.

I had a tutorial with my dissertation supervisor on Wednesday to go through all my feedback from my last draft. I have since been working on adding to and improving my referencing and bibliography.

It is election week at Middlesex, so I have also been working with some of the Students Union officers, helping design promotional material for their campaigns to re-run for positions within the SU. On Friday the union will announce the results at an election party at MDX House.
Reply 12
Hi Ellie,

I was considering Middlesex for Fashion Design and have been offered a place - I wanted to find out more about accommodation, nightlife etc. Would you recommend halls for the first year? I live around 45 minutes - an hour away and was considering moving away for the first year then travelling in for second and third years? Just wondering what you would suggest!

Thank you,
Lucy
Reply 13
Hiya,
I'm starting the styling & fashion com course next year and just wondered which halls you think would be the best to live in? Also is there anywhere I can find out about others looking at sharing a house or is it only on the mdx website? I can't seem to find anything. THANKS!
Original post by LuceB05
Hi Ellie,

I was considering Middlesex for Fashion Design and have been offered a place - I wanted to find out more about accommodation, nightlife etc. Would you recommend halls for the first year? I live around 45 minutes - an hour away and was considering moving away for the first year then travelling in for second and third years? Just wondering what you would suggest!

Thank you,
Lucy

Hi Lucy,

I lived in halls for my first year and absolutely loved it. It's such a great way to make friends and have some independence when you move to university - 3 years on I still live with the girls I met in halls! Living so close to uni and with friends/other students means that you can fully immerse yourself in student life (and nightlife!) in your first year as you wont have to commute home on your own after lessons or nights out.

Also having the library and design studios just up the road is really handy as a fashion student who will inevitably have a few late nights working on projects every now and again.

I can understand why you might want to save money and stay at home if you live close enough but I would definitely recommend halls, after all you're only a first year once!! Hope that helps, any other questions feel free to ask!

Ellie
Middlesex University
Fashion Course Ambassador
Original post by katmdx
Hiya,
I'm starting the styling & fashion com course next year and just wondered which halls you think would be the best to live in? Also is there anywhere I can find out about others looking at sharing a house or is it only on the mdx website? I can't seem to find anything. THANKS!

Hi,

Awesome you're going to love it! So there are 4 halls on offer:

Usher halls is the closest - its literally opposite the main entrance to the university! So is great if you're as lazy as me and love a lie in, it would take you 3 minutes to get to class! Usher is 3 stories and rooms are arranged off long corridors with allocated kitchens shared between 4 - 7 rooms. It also has common rooms with sofas and TVs. But in my opinion from what i've seen it's got the most cramped and dated rooms and kitchens with small windows.

Then there is Platt halls which is a 15 minute walk away - it's the largest of all the halls with over 500 rooms. The halls are arranged in blocks in each block there are different flats of 4-6 rooms with a shared kitchen/dining area. Its definitely the party halls. And the freshers halls fair is held in the grounds.

Writtle House is on the grounds of Platt Halls. Its the smallest of the halls with around 30 rooms and is in a nice old building. On average it has the biggest rooms. And is generally the quietest of the halls being so small.

Ivy halls is in Cricklewood - a 10-15 minute bus ride away. It is in a secure gated courtyard block and has free basement parking. In my first year I stayed in Ivy and in my opinion has the nicest rooms compared to Usher & Platt (I havent seen Writtle rooms myself but have heard they are nice too). The halls are 3 stories blocks and on each floor of a block there is 1 or 2 flats ranging 5 - 16 bedrooms with big shared kitchen/dining areas. I stayed in Ivy in my first year and had a great time! It wasn't my first choice - in fact it was my last based on distance. And to be honest when applying for halls its almost pot luck on where you end up because there are so many applications. But wherever you do I'm sure you will have a great time there.

As for house shares, there are facebook pages for middlesex freshers you can join closer to the time where student often get together in groups of 3-6 to look for privately rented accommodation. Middlesex also put on accommodation fairs where you can meet other student looking for places and local estate agents often have a stand. We have accomodation services to help student find houses and house mates and there are lots of people who don't apply or get into halls that rent privately so dont worry too much but also try not to leave it to the last minute.

Hope that helps!
Ellie
Middlesex University
MY WEEK 14th- 20th March
I came back to London on Tuesday after a lovely weekend at home with the family.

I spent Wednesday and Thursday finalising my dissertation before turning it in on Friday morning… very happy to have that out of the way!Now I can just concentrate on my final major project in and the run up to our graduate show in June.

Wednesday was the last matches of the season for most sports teams so we all went up to the Students Union for some celebratory drinks.

On Thursday evening I worked as Fashion Course Ambassador a tour Art & Design applicant evening. It was great to meet prospective students who were so excited to see Middlesex and the work of our current fashion students. I introduced them to our tutors and some of the first year fashion students who showed some of the work they are producing in some of their current projects.
Reply 17
hey, I'm planning to come to Middlesex this year but i don't now which accommodation to apply to i really like to olympic unite way halls but it seems really far but usher hall doesn't seem well equipped. HELP please
I Reallllly like the Fashion and Textiles Course but just a few questions i want to ask...
i live around an hour or less away but really want to stay in halls for uni experience but also so i don't have to commute. On the Middlesex website it says Accommodation in Halls is available for every student in first year who apply by the end of June 2016, however where you are placed, is on a first come first bases. however i keep hearing that getting in halls is judge on your distance from uni, which decides whether you get a place in halls or not? i would just like some clarification really aha
Also any particular accommodation do you recomend?

Also Im not very Familiar with Hendon its self but what is the area itself like? and what is there to do? what is the social like? and more importantly the Nightlife at Middlesex like, does most people travel into central for that or is there places in Hendon for nightlife and socialise?
Hi Ashp14

I wrote a reply on halls on this thread previously that I have copied on here.

The Olympic Unite Way halls are brand new so I havent been there myself nor have any friends staying there, but they are much more modern, new, all ensuite, double beds, and common room. This all comes with the halls being more expensive, and is the furthest halls away from uni - a 30-40 minute bus ride from campus. Its all about personal preference but read the folowing relpy on the other halls:

Original post by Ellie at MDX
Hi,

Awesome you're going to love it! So there are 4 halls on offer:

Usher halls is the closest - its literally opposite the main entrance to the university! So is great if you're as lazy as me and love a lie in, it would take you 3 minutes to get to class! Usher is 3 stories and rooms are arranged off long corridors with allocated kitchens shared between 4 - 7 rooms. It also has common rooms with sofas and TVs. But in my opinion from what i've seen it's got the most cramped and dated rooms and kitchens with small windows.

Then there is Platt halls which is a 15 minute walk away - it's the largest of all the halls with over 500 rooms. The halls are arranged in blocks in each block there are different flats of 4-6 rooms with a shared kitchen/dining area. Its definitely the party halls. And the freshers halls fair is held in the grounds.

Writtle House is on the grounds of Platt Halls. Its the smallest of the halls with around 30 rooms and is in a nice old building. On average it has the biggest rooms. And is generally the quietest of the halls being so small.

Ivy halls is in Cricklewood - a 10-15 minute bus ride away. It is in a secure gated courtyard block and has free basement parking. In my first year I stayed in Ivy and in my opinion has the nicest rooms compared to Usher & Platt (I havent seen Writtle rooms myself but have heard they are nice too). The halls are 3 stories blocks and on each floor of a block there is 1 or 2 flats ranging 5 - 16 bedrooms with big shared kitchen/dining areas. I stayed in Ivy in my first year and had a great time! It wasn't my first choice - in fact it was my last based on distance. And to be honest when applying for halls its almost pot luck on where you end up because there are so many applications. But wherever you do I'm sure you will have a great time there.

As for house shares, there are facebook pages for middlesex freshers you can join closer to the time where student often get together in groups of 3-6 to look for privately rented accommodation. Middlesex also put on accommodation fairs where you can meet other student looking for places and local estate agents often have a stand. We have accomodation services to help student find houses and house mates and there are lots of people who don't apply or get into halls that rent privately so dont worry too much but also try not to leave it to the last minute.

Hope that helps!
Ellie
Middlesex University

Original post by Ashp14
hey, I'm planning to come to Middlesex this year but i don't now which accommodation to apply to i really like to olympic unite way halls but it seems really far but usher hall doesn't seem well equipped. HELP please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending