The Student Room Group

Quadratics help

i got 2 questions that im stuck on, please tell me the method, i can use that then to find the answer. put the answer in the spoiler if u want so i can compare perhaps :biggrin:

Factorise 2x^2 - 11xy + 5y^2

i've never came across this type before

and also

simplify expression, leave answer in factorised form

x^2 + 4x + 3
----------------
x + 1

thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)
For the first don't be thrown off by the y's. Just go about it like an ordinary quadratic. Not really sure how other to explain this than by an example. Consider x2+2xy+y2x^2 + 2xy + y^2. We are just going to treat it as a normal quadratic and so we want to find two numbers which multiply to give y^2 and sum to give 2y. y and y satisfy this. Hence x2+2xy+y2=(x+y)(x+y)=(x+y)2x^2 + 2xy + y^2 = (x+y)(x+y) = (x+y)^2. Now try it with your's.

For the second, assuming it is meant to be x2+4x+3x+1\frac{x^2 + 4x + 3}{x+1} then factorise the numerator.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 16Characters....
For the first don't be thrown off by the y's. Just go about it like an ordinary quadratic. Not really sure how other to explain this than by an example. Consider x2+2y+y2x^2 + 2y + y^2. We are just going to treat it as a normal quadratic and so we want to find two numbers which multiply to give y^2 and sum to give 2y. y and y satisfy this. Hence x2+2y+y2=(x+y)(x+y)=(x+y)2x^2 + 2y + y^2 = (x+y)(x+y) = (x+y)^2. Now try it with your's.

For the second, assuming it is meant to be x2+4x+3x+1\frac{x^2 + 4x + 3}{x+1} then factorise the numerator.

sooo sorry, i meant 11xy but other than that i understand your explanation thank you
It's OK, I meant 2xy in my example too whoops.
Reply 4
(2x-y)(x-5y)

use AC method
Reply 5
Original post by under8ed
(2x-y)(x-5y)

use AC method

what is AC method?
Reply 6
The method you use to solve quadratics, i suspect you do this without realising

https://people.richland.edu/james/misc/acmeth.html

This simplifies it, take the 'a' to equal 2 and the 'c' to equal 5
It'is OK, I meant 2xy in my example too whoops.

Attachment not found

Hope this helps slightly, not sure if it's the AC method but it's what I do.
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Attachment not found

Hope this helps slightly, not sure if it's the AC method but it's what I do.

I know how to factorise a quadratic, I do not however know how to proofread. You may wish to quote the OP here instead of me...

Edit: Though thank you for trying to help out.
(edited 8 years ago)
I know how to factorise a quadratic, I do not however know how to proofread. You may wish to quote the OP here instead of me...

Edit: Though thank you for trying to help out.

You're right I did quote the wrong person, sorry!
Original post by ScienceFantatic
You're right I did quote the wrong person, sorry!

@ihatePE

oh thanks! i'll use this for other questions i have now
Reply 11
(2x-y)(x-5y)

use AC method

??
Original post by TeeEm
??

I didnt realise other people arent taught this, its just a logical way of solving a quadratic
Reply 13
I didnt realise other people arent taught this, its just a logical way of solving a quadratic

What school year are you in?
If you can't see it intuitively maybe then set y=c y = c (c is a constant) and notice (hopefully) how this can be factorised in the normal way :smile:
Original post by TeeEm
What school year are you in?

yr 11
Reply 16
yr 11

No worries ... some teachers teach some very exotic approaches
For most students which take maths beyond GCSE, factorizing a quadratic requires no particular method.

All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest