The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Still waiting on New Square post second round replies, although I assume by this time that the offer will have already gone out to someone.
Original post by LadyLaw23
Anyone heard anything from Quadrant yet post-test set? I believe they were meant to be notifying people either way today...

I have not heard anything from them yet. I also thought they would notify use today. To be honest, I have started to worry about it now. However, I know that they tend to send group emails, informing candidates either way, so if emails went through, I would expect to receive one.
Original post by Pupillagebound
I have not heard anything from them yet. I also thought they would notify use today. To be honest, I have started to worry about it now. However, I know that they tend to send group emails, informing candidates either way, so if emails went through, I would expect to receive one.

Agreed re expecting to receive an email either way, though nothing yet for me either, so I'm assuming they're just running behind schedule again. I also know of at least one or two other people on here who did the test set and also don't seem to have heard back yet.

Having said that, if they don't send anything through by tomorrow, I might give them a call to check what's going on...

Tomfish

Having called Quadrant today, they confirmed that they are running behind schedule and will be sending notifications out some time this week, with interviews to also be a bit later than advertised.
Has anyone heard from BC Legal, please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any news from 7BR, anyone?
Original post by LadyLaw23
Having called Quadrant today, they confirmed that they are running behind schedule and will be sending notifications out some time this week, with interviews to also be a bit later than advertised.

Thanks very much for sharing this information. It is really helpful! At least we know now it was not a silent rejection.
Original post by wannabeebar

I have not heard anything yet from them either. However, on their website they say that they will contact us regarding the interviews by mid March with interviews to be held on 2nd April. I think they will probably stick to this timetable this year again. So, I think I would not worry too much about them until at least mid March.
Original post by wannabeebar

I haven't heard anything yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tanfield, anyone?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Tanfield, anyone?

Nothing, it says on their website on or by 26th so shouldn't be too long now though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Tanfield, anyone?

Nothing yet for me either
Thanks very much for sharing this information. It is really helpful! At least we know now it was not a silent rejection.

No worries and that would indeed be horrible (rejection by silence) at this stage in the process! I doubt they'd do it though...
Original post by Tiny92
Northampton chambers and Devon are an absolute joke.

Neither provide reasonable expenses to interview. Absolute farce for access to the bar

Tbh I don't know of many chambers that DO provide expenses...I have had two interviews recently and for both I had to pay £150 to get to London and back so I think it's just one of those things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Many small sets struggle to cobble together the minimum funding for pupillage, let alone providing reasonable expenses. I think it's to the immense credit of those who do provide expenses, rather than to the detriment of those who don't.
Reply 595
Original post by Tiny92
True. But it still should be something covered. It's bad when chambers just ignore the issue when you ask.

Even if the inns set up a fund. For scholars or whoever (second round invites).

Maybe you should ask if they could help with expenses before attending interview or alternatively if you don't think the interviews are worth the expense maybe you shouldn't attend in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 596
[QUOTE="Tiny92;62978427"]
Original post by Leigh68
Maybe you should ask if they could help with expenses before attending interview or alternatively if you don't think the interviews are worth the expense maybe you shouldn't attend in the first place.

First issue - that has been done

Second issue - don't attend in the first place? Excellent narrow minded point of view! It's about access to the bar, that's the kind of thought process that keeps it white, middle class and male.

Sure say that to (example) someone who doesn't have parents who is in bar school and has only made it by on the back of scholarships and working all the time and can't make it to interviews without incurring large debt from taking unpaid leave etc. This is an issue

Remove that chip from your shoulder or your career at the bar will be a short one.

It is not chambers' responsibility to reimburse you for the privilege of having been considered a potential pupil. You make sacrifices to succeed. We all do.

A career a the bar is tough and expensive. Appreciate that fact now and realise that handouts are not readily available once you start. Be grateful that you have had scholarships support you through. I know members of chambers who saved every penny they had for 3 years so they had enough for the BVC.

We all work, we all find life difficult, but that doesn't mean a set of chambers should, would or does care, so man up and get on with it like the thousands of others going through the same thing.
Reply 597
Original post by Tiny92

First issue - that has been done

Second issue - don't attend in the first place? Excellent narrow minded point of view! It's about access to the bar, that's the kind of thought process that keeps it white, middle class and male.

Sure say that to (example) someone who doesn't have parents who is in bar school and has only made it by on the back of scholarships and working all the time and can't make it to interviews without incurring large debt from taking unpaid leave etc. This is an issue

I'm sure if you were offered pupillage at any of these chambers you would consider it worth the expense!

My point was that knowing you have financial difficulties you should be more selective as I saw you mentioned previously that a £12k pupillage award may not be enough.

I agree with your point about access to the bar but don't believe it is the fault of individual chambers for not providing expenses for interview. Perhaps if we didn't all have to pay extortionate fees for the BPTC (even with scholarships!) life would be a little easier.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 598
Original post by Tiny92
I agree with you both. I am representing a point. The examples I use on this don't reflect my own personal exp. Some of the points I bring are true and some are hypothetical -trying to remain anonymous. Usually to probe a similar issue. Also I'm talking about access to the bar today. Not 0-10-20 years ago. Access to the bar was bad then and I think a reasonable expenses scheme would increase diversity. I've saved to get here and know etc. Don't think anything wrong in trying to increase an awareness for it.

Don't have a chip on the shoulder, I've been very lucky.

I've made sacrifices etc and savings to get to the bar. Nor have I had handouts or expect them.

Perhaps your initial comment calling two well respected sets an "absolute joke" for not covering interview expenses led to the comments you received.

Because that reads as an inappropriate comment about specific chambers as opposed to a criticism of access to the bar in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tiny92
True. But it still should be something covered. It's bad when chambers just ignore the issue when you ask.

Even if the inns set up a fund. For scholars or whoever (second round invites).

Funny u should mention Devon. They contributed towards my train fare last year. Maybe they stopped doing it this year.

P.s when were second rounds? They didn't even get back to me from first rounds so I just wrote it off as a rejection.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending