The Student Room Group

For anyone who feels nomadic... or lost.

So I like this quote. It explains everything I've felt in my early 20s. The transition of leaving home and being some sort of adult but just wanting that innocence and ease of childhood again. :

You know that point in your life when you realize the house you grew up in isn't really your home anymore? All of a sudden even though you have some place where you put your sh*t, that idea of home is gone.
You'll see one day when you move out it just sort of happens one day and it's gone. You feel like you can never get it back. It's like you feel homesick for a place that doesn't even exist. Maybe it's like this rite of passage, you know. You won't ever have this feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself, you know, for your kids, for the family you start, it's like a cycle or something. I don't know, but I miss the idea of it, you know. Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people that miss the same imaginary place.

It's from Garden State aka the best film of absolute all time (Zach Braff's brainchild) and it's so true and exactly how I feel when I'm in this weird transition phase to adulthood, though probably should have got there by now.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethereal World
The transition of leaving home and being some sort of adult but just wanting that innocence and ease of childhood again.

it's so true and exactly how I feel when I'm in this weird transition phase to adulthood, though probably should have got there by now.

I feel you.

I long for the past, but never forget to enjoy the present or make sure the future is as good as I remember the past to be.

Spoiler

I went through that phase for a brief period at the age of 18 when I left for uni :redface: I quickly went on to embrace adulthood and become completely self-sufficient, and I haven't thought of myself as a kid ever since :h:

Great quote, though :biggrin:
Reply 3
Yes.

My parents each have a home where I am still welcome.

Despite this I still feel a little rootless. Once you live away from home your perspective changes.

You detach from family. Nothing is ever quite the same again.
So I like this quote. It explains everything I've felt in my early 20s. The transition of leaving home and being some sort of adult but just wanting that innocence and ease of childhood again. :

It's from Garden State aka the best film of absolute all time (Zach Braff's brainchild) and it's so true and exactly how I feel when I'm in this weird transition phase to adulthood, though probably should have got there by now.

didn't read
Original post by stefano865
Yes.

My parents each have a home where I am still welcome.

Despite this I still feel a little rootless. Once you live away from home your perspective changes.

You detach from family. Nothing is ever quite the same again.

Everything in this comment is perfection. I didn't want to write this thing I thought I sounded crazy. But I guess knowing other people understand is a reassuring feeling in itself.
Original post by CantGainWeight
didn't read

Adds to ignore list.
Reply 7
The world is my home. It's late, excuse the prententious nonsense.
Original post by Callous Twits
I feel you.

I long for the past, but never forget to enjoy the present or make sure the future is as good as I remember the past to be.

Spoiler

You get everything. I think I just long for the innocence and the time where I was curious about everything and wasn't a slave to the system. No matter what way we look at it, we are all slaves to a arbitrary system. And in a way we do it because it's easier to transfer responsibility to an abstract force rather than having to take it yourself.
Original post by CantGainWeight
didn't read

No one asked

prsom :smile:

also check my new pm :tongue:
Original post by whorace
The world is my home. It's late, excuse the prententious nonsense.

My bedroom is a church.
The kitchen is a church

Cost cutters is.... A cathedral.
That is actually quite a meaningful quote. :K:

Thanks for sharing at this hour :tongue:
Reply 13
I actually really hate the word abstract...
Original post by Angela Merkel
prsom :smile:

also check my new pm :tongue:

Honestly. I am dead. I can't deal with this. I need to sleep but it is soooo sooo sooo funny. You are talented. Like really talented.
Everything in this comment is perfection. I didn't want to write this thing I thought I sounded crazy. But I guess knowing other people understand is a reassuring feeling in itself.

I absolutely understand. :jumphug:

The early 20s is often described as a sort of 'second puberty'. Where the final transition into adulthood takes place. I don't think anyone can 'grow up' until they leave home.
Honestly. I am dead. I can't deal with this. I need to sleep but it is soooo sooo sooo funny. You are talented. Like really talented.

<3
Original post by whorace
I actually really hate the word abstract...

Don't ever do science. The bane of your life will be perfecting that abstract.
when I was in primary school I wanted to be back in nursery, when I was in high school I wanted to be in primary school and now I am in collage I want to be back at high school. So I have no doubt when I eventually have to move out and go to uni my head will explode.
Reply 19
I don't really feel "adult", but then I am only 18, perhaps there is time..
A good one for these feels.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBoYZqmcZuc

Quick Reply

Latest