The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Also, if Wenger signs Elneny as cover for Coquelin but Flamini still gets in the squad ahead of him then what was the point in signing Elneny? Another blunder by Wenger. Please someone just get him out.
Original post by AR_95
****ing told you oxelade chamberlain is ****ing **** the useless ****er

'Ox should be tried at second striker. He's a good finisher'.

On a par with Jam's call that Suarez was the wrong striker for Barcelona
Original post by Pimped Butterfly

Or your call that Liverpool would win titles under Brendan Rodgers.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2657708&page=44&highlight=titles%20under&p=47355543#post47355543

It's not over yet, and we'll definitely win more than one title under Rodgers, I have no hesitation or doubt in saying that. If we don't win this year, only winning multiple titles in the future will erase the pain. And for that, all we have to do is be patient - Rodgers is definitely the best man for the job.

I'm quite surprised I found that quote so quickly tbh but it was the first thing that sprung to mind.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pete_91
Still this Barca aren't as good as the 2011 side we beat. Sure the strike force is better but the midfield is a lot weaker and so is the defence.

Barca had an off day with a clear game plan to take it easy in the first half, Suarez missed two sitters, and you still got beat 2-0 with Barca moving out of first gear for literally 16 seconds of the game.

This Barca runs the game just as well/nearly as well (talking miniscule differences) as the Pep's Barca, and then has the best front three ever too. They're fantastic at set pieces (only three conceded all of last season), including only two headers conceded all of last season (less than anybody in Europe's top 5 leagues), which was a significant (perceived) weakness under Pep. They were at 70% possession last year, which is comparable to Pep's Barca teams (averaging 70-72), and dominated the CL final even more than Pep's team did. They conceded 8 shots a game in Enrique's first season, and averaged 7.73 under Pep. They conceded just 21 goals all of last league season.

This year's edition of the team have a little less control of the game, but imho they're just a bit lazier/complacent, and they had a very slow start to the season after a disrupted preseason which affects their stats to date. After that, they're 33 unbeaten, having beaten Madrid, Atletico and now Arsenal all away from home, and only 6 draws in that run. Their front 3 is on 93 goals for the season in the middle of February.

So nah, it's a better team than the 2011 edition.
Original post by jam277
Or your call that Liverpool would win titles under Brendan Rodgers.

Your call too, and my call was closer than your call, but I just wanted to bait you out
Yeah I think the current Barcelona team is the best team of all time.

Not sure if they will win the CL though. Hoping a Chelsea airbus park can do them again... :colonhash:
Your call too, and my call was closer than your call, but I just wanted to bait you out

I could tell. Surprised I found the quote so quickly tbh.

Your call on the PSG game btw? Think it's 50-50 atm. Arsenal obviously out. Juventus unlikely to win considering Guardiola's home record and 2 away goals. City probably will beat Dynamo Kiev but think it won't be a walkover with their injuries.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
I could tell. Surprised I found the quote so quickly tbh.

Your call on the PSG game btw? Think it's 50-50 atm. Arsenal obviously out. Juventus unlikely to win considering Guardiola's home record.

Jam Jam Jam all anybody has to do is go into your thread history to see your love for LFC.

Juve's problem is the away goals rule. I think PSG are marginally ahead in your game.
Barca had an off day with a clear game plan to take it easy in the first half, Suarez missed two sitters, and you still got beat 2-0 with Barca moving out of first gear for literally 16 seconds of the game.

Actual lol if you believe that. They were well and truly stifled in that first half. Wenger gets lots of **** wrong but his game plan tonight was absolutely spot on. Just a shame he's incompetent at getting rid of the deadwood and actually building a good enough squad to compete on all fronts. Two mistakes from our two worst players cost us the game.
Liverpool have the best setup to win the league tbh
b1.jpg

Do not despair .... There is another leg to come ...
Reply 4390

Just 100% knew you were guaranteed to bring this up u pleb!!
Original post by AliRizzo
Actual lol if you believe that. They were well and truly stifled in that first half. Wenger gets lots of **** wrong but his game plan tonight was absolutely spot on. Just a shame he's incompetent at getting rid of the deadwood and actually building a good enough squad to compete on all fronts. Two mistakes from our two worst players cost us the game.

Read Enrique's comments after the game. Barca turned the screw second half, you got momentarily gassed, they made you pay. The second was coming regardless. And they definitely had an off day, Suarez missed two sitters, should have shot when he tried to cross, and in general the final ball quality was dire from Barca in the first half. You didn't play badly at all, in fact I agree you played well first half, but Barca came to chill too. Notice the lack of overlapping fullbacks and Messi not involving himself in the deeper areas first half, and then Barca penetrating in the second, and corroborate it with what Enrique said.
Read Enrique's comments after the game. Barca turned the screw second half, you got momentarily gassed, they made you pay. The second was coming regardless. And they definitely had an off day, Suarez missed two sitters, should have shot when he tried to cross, and in general the final ball quality was dire from Barca in the first half. You didn't play badly at all, in fact I agree you played well first half, but Barca came to chill too. Notice the lack of overlapping fullbacks and Messi not involving himself in the deeper areas first half, and then Barca penetrating in the second, and corroborate it with what Enrique said.

Enrique is a shite w*nker who's reputation is built off MSN. I wouldn't be surprised if he just tells them to go out and do their thing, as if I'd take anything he says seriously. A journo asked him the other day what he says to MSN before games and he replied 'Abracadabra, what am I supposed to say to them?' which speaks volumes.

So they had an off day if Suarez missed two sitters? Hmm I expect you don't watch Barcelona then cos Suarez is notorious for missing great chances, just check their last game against Palmas. The final ball was dire because our structure was narrow and we pressed high, in comparison to around the 70th min when we broke ranks and implemented suicidal defending which handed them the tie. Also explains the penetrating you're talking about, Messi did go deep several times in the first half but struggled to weave his way through as Coq/Ramsey would help out Monreal.

MSN was completely shut off today and it's a shame Monreal won't get the credit he deserves for stifling Messi for a good 70 mins before that w*nker Mertesacker tries to intercept like the donkey he is and so leaves a gap and forces Monreal to track Neymar, hence leaving Messi free to score a tap in. Before that Messi had 0 chances and only scored the pen after. A tap in and a pen from Lionel Messi, but he'll get some weird plaudits by people who don't watch the game.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AliRizzo
Enrique is a shite w*nker who's reputation is built off MSN. I wouldn't be surprised if he just tells them to go out and do their thing, as if I'd take anything he says seriously. A journo asked him the other day what he says to MSN before games and he replied 'Abracadabra, what am I supposed to say to them?' which speaks volumes. Lol
So they had an off day if Suarez missed two sitters? Hmm I expect you don't watch Barcelona then cos Suarez is notorious for missing great chances, just check their last game against Palmas.
Notice how I put Suarez missing sitters and Barca having an off day as separate points. Regular misser of sitters or not, Suarez has 41 goals in February. You can definitely count his poor form in front of goal today as a piece of unexpected luck. And likewise, Barca's creation wasn't anything special even when they got going second half. Maybe down to you guys, who knows. Suarez and Neymar's misses still count this as an off day.
The final ball was dire because our structure was narrow
To an extent, but also an early crossing strategy from Barcelona and more direct play, which was done with energy conservation in mind, I'd guess.
and we pressed high, in comparison to around the 70th min when we broke ranks and implemented suicidal defending which handed them the tie.
Barca played it very patiently in the first half, never committing whilst going forwards (and thus never allowing you to commit on the counter). Straight after half time, they turned the screw more, and put more men forwards, and we saw more Messi-Iniesta-Neymar interplay, which was obviously bad for Arsenal. Then they became nervous slightly, you pushed forward recklessly to try and relieve the pressure, and that's when they can counter, and that's when they can score. This is a known Barcelona tactic. You're obviously emotional over losing and watching your plastic middle class fanbase walk out when they could be witnessing their team/the greatest front three ever, but try and keep your head.
Also explains the penetrating you're talking about, Messi did go deep several times in the first half but struggled to weave his way through as Coq/Ramsey would help out Monreal.
Lol nah, he was chilling and pretty calm on his wing. This wasn't the Messi that was ready to pick up the ball at every possible moment and pull strings/**** **** up. He was calm first half, Iniesta was calm first half, Neymar and Suarez were calm first half. Ball retention and tentative probing without committing and allowing a counter was the name of the game. You restricted them to mainly just that missed Suarez sitter but only after they'd intentionally stifled themselves first. Alves and Alba's reluctance to speed past their wingers was notable.
MSN was completely shut off today
You defended well, but nonsense that you're ignoring their clear gameplan in the first half.
and it's a shame Monreal won't get the credit he deserves for stifling Messi for a good 70 mins
lol so?
Doesn't sound good for the Ox. Apparently 10 hours later he still can't find his first touch.
Neymar was oddest of the 3. Set clean through twice, first time fires straight into cech, second time tries to header it back to his team mate on the edge of the box when clean through.
For what it's worth I completely agree wrt Monreal, was about to post how Messi must be suffocating in Monreals pocket when they countered and scored. Thought he was worst of the 3 by a long way, and none had a great day tbh
(edited 8 years ago)
Bellerin has already become a quality right back. Didn't put a foot wrong defensively last night. His final ball still isn't great though. Hopefully Barca don't pull a Cesc and knab him back off us.
Lol @ Vermaelen playing the second leg.
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
Bellerin has already become a quality right back. Didn't put a foot wrong defensively last night. His final ball still isn't great though. Hopefully Barca don't pull a Cesc and knab him back off us.

With Dani Alves on the wrong side of 30, you can just expect Barca players tapping Belerin up. Belerin's development has been immense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bellerin's been horrendous this season lmao, we should let him go and get Aurier.

Ox was alright in terms of the defensive side of things. Horrific with his efficency though.

Latest