The Student Room Group

Deaf Girl doesn't get disability benefit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b071jrnw/battling-with-benefits-episode-3

So decided to watch the BBC's benefit program showcasing some disabled peoples battles with benefits.

This partially deaf girl has problems hearing and communicating yet she received only 2 points on her PIP assessment leaving her with no disability benefit.

This is how the Tories help disabled people. They simply ignore them and hope they will go away.

Scroll to see replies

And? Sorry, but why is stuff like this news?
Original post by illegaltobepoor
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b071jrnw/battling-with-benefits-episode-3

So decided to watch the BBC's benefit program showcasing some disabled peoples battles with benefits.

This partially deaf girl has problems hearing and communicating yet she received only 2 points on her PIP assessment leaving her with no disability benefit.

This is how the Tories help disabled people. They simply ignore them and hope they will go away.

In China they don't give out disability benefits yet there are exponentially less disabled people. Coincidence?
Reply 3
Why should people who are not deaf be paying money to people who are deaf? I genuinely don't get it. Deaf people already get free healthcare, hearing aids, etc, and business are required to accommodate them. Why should I have to give them free money on top of that, purely because they are deaf?
Original post by poohat
Why should people who are not deaf be paying money to people who are deaf? I genuinely don't get it. Deaf people already get free healthcare, hearing aids, etc, and business are required to accommodate them. Why should I have to give them free money on top of that, purely because they are deaf?

Because not all their aids that they need will be paid for. They may need aids just to be able to use a phone.

I'm going deaf in one ear and don't have an hearing aid. I also have other hearing problems. The only way for me to be able to use a phone was to buy a hearing aid compatiable one. (HAC) That cost me £50. You can pick up a phone for £10. They may need other communication support too.

The other alternative is to buy an aid (which I don't know much about) to enable a deaf person to use a bluetooth enabled phone. That aid costs money too.

It's not as simple as you make it out to be.

Contrary to what some people think, not all aids are provided for free on the NHS. The aids which aren't free are actually quite expensive.
Original post by Arsenal96
In China they don't give out disability benefits yet there are exponentially less disabled people. Coincidence?

Exponentially less? Could you explain what that phrase means lol
Original post by leinad2012
Exponentially less? Could you explain what that phrase means lol

Well, in mathematics the exponential function has steady growth at x < 0 and then suddenly has a rapid rate of growth as x tends to infinity. "Exponentially" is just a figure of speech that is related to that concept. "Exponentially less" is in informal terms "A lot less"
Well, in mathematics the exponential function has steady growth at x < 0 and then suddenly has a rapid rate of growth as x tends to infinity. "Exponentially" is just a figure of speech that is related to that concept. "Exponentially less" is in informal terms "A lot less"

Very odd way of saying a lot less. Never heard anyone use such an odd phrase. And either way, you are wrong. China has more disabled people than the ENTIRE population of the UK, over 70 million disabled people. Although perhaps the proportion is lower.

fwiw if you use 'exponentially' to mean anything other than 'at an increasing rate' people will assume that you don't know what it means.

The attack in OP is weak enough that it's not really worth responding to.
Original post by Tiger Rag

Its news because disabled people aren't getting the benefits they are entitled too. The girl in this program is so deaf that she has to you not 1 but 2 hearing aids. Even with them she struggles to hear people and at the same time she has problems talking to people as well.

Its worth noting that the deaf girl had DLA before she turned 16.

I think your in a state of apathy when you raise the comment "why is stuff like this news?". But ye I guess your right on this. This is nothing new but just the sad state the country is moving towards in treating disabled people real badly.

Original post by poohat

Because in this country we have a national insurance system that protects individuals from ill-health. This extends to babies born disabled and people developing disabilities in their life times.

This insurance system works like any other unemployment or disability insurance system. Just because its nationalized doesn't make it any different in principle.

Our disability welfare programs are getting as bad as the Americans where you literally have to sit before a judge and professional doctor.

Why don't we stop wasting money on outsourcing to private companies and send claimants right to a tribunal review.
Reply 10
Because not all their aids that they need will be paid for. They may need aids just to be able to use a phone.

I'm going deaf in one ear and don't have an hearing aid. I also have other hearing problems. The only way for me to be able to use a phone was to buy a hearing aid compatiable one. (HAC) That cost me £50. You can pick up a phone for £10. They may need other communication support too.

The other alternative is to buy an aid (which I don't know much about) to enable a deaf person to use a bluetooth enabled phone. That aid costs money too.

It's not as simple as you make it out to be.

Contrary to what some people think, not all aids are provided for free on the NHS. The aids which aren't free are actually quite expensive.
Thats all very sad and everything, but why should I have to give you money to pay for your hearing aid when it isn't critical?
Reply 11
I
Because in this country we have a national insurance system that protects individuals from ill-health. This extends to babies born disabled and people developing disabilities in their life times.

This insurance system works like any other unemployment or disability insurance system. Just because its nationalized doesn't make it any different in principle.

Our disability welfare programs are getting as bad as the Americans where you literally have to sit before a judge and professional doctor.

Disabled people already get free health care and are covered by national insurance, that isn't the issue here. Disability benefits are cash transfers on top of that - i.e. it literally involves non-disabled people having to give disabled people free money, purely because they are disabled. What is the justification for this? Why should I have to give you money just because you are disabled, over and above the tax paid to the NHS?
(edited 8 years ago)

To take your mind of the real issues.
Original post by poohat
Thats all very sad and everything, but why should I have to give you money to pay for your hearing aid when it isn't critical?

lol, what? Being able to communicate isn't critical? Are you having a laugh? That means not being able to do basic everyday things like being to talk to people. Things that you take for granted. Heck, I can't even talk to someone on my mobile phone atm because of my hearing problems. I can't go out because of my communication difficulties, which pretty much means I'm isolated.
lol, what? Being able to communicate isn't critical? Are you having a laugh? That means not being able to do basic everyday things like being to talk to people. Things that you take for granted. Heck, I can't even talk to someone on my mobile phone atm because of my hearing problems. I can't go out because of my communication difficulties, which pretty much means I'm isolated.

:jumphug:
Original post by iEthan
:jumphug:

Thanks. I was actually told I should get out more which would help, apparently. I've had to leave every group I've joined because the noise is actually painful. Because I'm not actually classed as deaf, (it's to do with how my brain processes noise - I can hear what you say, I don't process it properly) there can't possibly be a problem, apparently.
Thanks. I was actually told I should get out more which would help, apparently. I've had to leave every group I've joined because the noise is actually painful. Because I'm not actually classed as deaf, (it's to do with how my brain processes noise - I can hear what you say, I don't process it properly) there can't possibly be a problem, apparently.

See, it's things like this which make me sad. You obviously wouldn't lie yet you're not given any consideration. It's so sad. I really hope that things get better for you in the long run. :yep: Who told you to get out more? That sounds like a very poorly-informed idea imo. :s-smilie: I can't give much advice because obviously I don't know how you feel (in terms of what happens) but I hope that you're OK :hugs: here for you :yep:
Reply 17
Its news because disabled people aren't getting the benefits they are entitled too.

she received only 2 points on her PIP assessment

So.. not entitled to then.

She wasn't ignored, she was assessed and deemed not entitled.
Original post by iEthan
See, it's things like this which make me sad. You obviously wouldn't lie yet you're not given any consideration. It's so sad. I really hope that things get better for you in the long run. :yep: Who told you to get out more? That sounds like a very poorly-informed idea imo. :s-smilie: I can't give much advice because obviously I don't know how you feel (in terms of what happens) but I hope that you're OK :hugs: here for you :yep:

Thanks :smile: It was both Audiology and my GP. ENT looks in his book (that one which has a list of medication and their side effects) and realises what the problem probably is.

Of course you've not done us the favour of giving us data to support what you're saying. But you don't possibly think this might have something to do with the fact that China is considerably less developed than a country like the UK with a considerably higher rural population so most of the population will not have access to physiologists or psychologists who are in the position to make such a diagnosis, not least add it to official records? Nah, let's stick to our "blame the disabled" stance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending