The Student Room Group

For anyone who feels nomadic... or lost.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Meh, you know, I've acknowleged these kind of thoughts, you know, but I meet them with indifference, you know, no melodrama like here, you know.
Original post by RobML
Meh, you know, I've acknowleged these kind of thoughts, you know, but I meet them with indifference, you know, no melodrama like here, you know.

Oh ffs. You make the most melodramatic threads ever. Can't deal with the hypocrisy.
Reply 22
Original post by Ethereal World
Oh ffs. You make the most melodramatic threads ever. Can't deal with the hypocrisy.

Oh my God why are you being so horrible?? What threads?? Just deeeal!
Original post by RobML
Oh my God why are you being so horrible?? What threads?? Just deeeal!

I'm not being horrible. I was just thinking something. I wasn't being melodramatic. And I thought I might share. There's no need to be like 'omg I'm so great I deal with it by not making a melodramatic thread and just sorting it out on my own time' when I have seen threads of yours in the past which are more 'dramatic' than this.
Hey Ethereal , i really liked your quote. I wonder if this will ever happen to me.
Reply 25
I'm not being horrible. I was just thinking something. I wasn't being melodramatic. And I thought I might share. There's no need to be like 'omg I'm so great I deal with it by not making a melodramatic thread and just sorting it out on my own time' when I have seen threads of yours in the past which are more 'dramatic' than this.

I'm being tongue-in-cheek...
I've been living in a town where I was born for the first eleven years of my life. After that, I moved to a different city and hated it. I just wanted to go back, back to my friends, my school, my street, all the little things I came to call mine. Eventually, after two and a half years, I did move back.

But a few years after I came back, I started to have feelings of intense wanderlust inside of me. That place, that little world I called home for almost my entire life was no longer that. I started to miss places I've never been to and people I've never met. Ever since then, nothing in the world will ever convince me that old place is my home anymore. I might go back to visit my family and wander around a little bit, but it will never be what it was.

Currently, I'm searching for a new home. With better people, better prospects, better life. I still haven't found it and I will most likely spend a great deal of my life looking for it
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27

And when I mentioned "melodrama", I was referring to the film quote. Pls chill.
Original post by RobML
And when I mentioned "melodrama", I was referring to the film quote. Pls chill.

I'm chilled.
Reply 29
I'm chilled.

I'm still curious about those melodramatic threads of mine though (I'd wager I was either very drunk or not at all serious)
(edited 8 years ago)

Your quote game is always so strong. You should post more on the Inspirational Quotes thread ngl.

Going to see myself out before I start a big ramble I'll almost definitely find really embarrassing in the morning.

Original post by Zargabaath
No one asked

Zarga sass 10/10.
Original post by Awesome Genius
Hey Ethereal , i really liked your quote. I wonder if this will ever happen to me.

Hi Awesome. I'm sure it will. I think you will have a wonderful life with a beautiful wife and 5 perfect children.
Reply 32
So I like this quote. It explains everything I've felt in my early 20s. The transition of leaving home and being some sort of adult but just wanting that innocence and ease of childhood again. :

It's from Garden State aka the best film of absolute all time (Zach Braff's brainchild) and it's so true and exactly how I feel when I'm in this weird transition phase to adulthood, though probably should have got there by now.

Yup, sums up how I feel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Yup, sums up how I feel

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you feel like that even though you're still at home? I guess looking back maybe I did too I just wasn't all that introspective back then.
I've also felt this way, although a little later in my life. I wondered whether it was nature's way of giving me a kick in the arse to get my life rolling, and start making my own family happen.

Clearly I'm still wondering, as I've not done much about it.
So I like this quote. It explains everything I've felt in my early 20s. The transition of leaving home and being some sort of adult but just wanting that innocence and ease of childhood again. :

It's from Garden State aka the best film of absolute all time (Zach Braff's brainchild) and it's so true and exactly how I feel when I'm in this weird transition phase to adulthood, though probably should have got there by now.

For once in college Im feeling a wee bit homesick and it is because as you say im wanting the imaginary place again.

But we choose to remember the good. truth is college has positives too..problem is the bad stuff back then is the same bad stuff right now.

At least we all and I have a focus. Instead we should focus on working on the bad stuff and increasing the good
Reply 36
Do you feel like that even though you're still at home? I guess looking back maybe I did too I just wasn't all that introspective back then.

Yup, this is just a house - it's the people that make the place and my people ain't that great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by acupofgreentea

Your quote game is always so strong. You should post more on the Inspirational Quotes thread ngl.

Going to see myself out before I start a big ramble I'll almost definitely find really embarrassing in the morning.

Zarga sass 10/10.

Ngl I was a bit whiskied when I created this. But I sometimes, amongst the phases of embracing the uncertainty, just wish I had all of my stuff in a place and I had a family. Tired of living out of suitcases and moving around. My parents also divorced when I was at university and my home home is like this shell that holds stuff but no love anymore. Infact my parents have now both moved out and my brother lives there alone essentially. When I go home I love being at home for the feeling of sort of belonging somewhere but it just feels so empty and that crushes me. But running away from it and living in all these different places is fine most of the time. It's also harder because most of my home friends (not school or university friends) did the whole, young marriage, kids at 20, short generation times. They have always been jealous that I had the ability (intelligence essentially) to mobilise myself, to break that mould and go to university and get well paid jobs etc. But last week I went home to see my best friend who has a two year old and another due and we went for this walk around the lanes and it was so sunny and her little boy was splashing around, then her mum and dad randomly came down the lane doing something unrelated (her parents are my second parents) and it just felt so nice. Like all of a sudden instead of being career minded and needing this and chasing this life actually deep down maybe I would have been happier without all this pressure and nomadic stuff. It only further serves to intensify the disconnect I feel about where I'm going and what I actually want.

I literally just meant to reply to this saying yes my quote game is strong. Now I'm typing this out, crying and definitely making myself late for work.

Put a lid on it ethereal.
I've been adulting for years but a part of me does want a bit of an easier life.
You get everything. I think I just long for the innocence and the time where I was curious about everything and wasn't a slave to the system. No matter what way we look at it, we are all slaves to a arbitrary system.

I have some interesting ideas about this. I'll tell you another time. :h:

And in a way we do it because it's easier to transfer responsibility to an abstract force rather than having to take it yourself.

Elaborate?

Quick Reply

Latest