The Student Room Group

Effect of a low number of A Levels?

Hey guys. First time posting.

I am a pretty good student - 10 A*s at GSCE, and I am on course for A* predicted grades for all my A level courses. Problem is, I am only doing 2 "proper" A levels. I had a nasty case of amnesia a year ago which has kinda f*cked me over, and so I am only taking Mathematics, Further Maths, Physics, and an Extended Project this year.

The Extended Project is only like half an A Level, ditto for the Further Maths, so I figure I'm really only doing the equivalent of 3 A Levels.

Will this hinder my university chances? I plan to apply for Physics to Oxford.
Reply 1
Original post by crump2t

I am a pretty good student - 10 A*s at GSCE, and I am on course for A* predicted grades for all my A level courses. Problem is, I am only doing 2 "proper" A levels. I had a nasty case of amnesia a year ago which has kinda f*cked me over, and so I am only taking Mathematics, Further Maths, Physics, and an Extended Project this year.

The Extended Project is only like half an A Level, ditto for the Further Maths, so I figure I'm really only doing the equivalent of 3 A Levels.

What do you mean by 2 "proper" A levels - I count three. Maths, Further Maths and Physics.

The EPQ might be a bit of a waste of time but Further Maths is not half an A level. Heck it is probably more important than the base maths A level to some departments at university.

You should be fine for Oxford if you get A*A*A*.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by crump2t

Whats wrong with the 3 A-Levels? Why isn't one of them " proper"?
Reply 3
Original post by ckfeister
Whats wrong with the 3 A-Levels? Why isn't one of them " proper"?

Everyone at my school does 4 A Levels, I figured that was expected.
Reply 4
Original post by etjayne
What do you mean by 2 "proper" A levels - I count three. Maths, Further Maths and Physics.

The EPQ might be a bit of a waste of time but Further Maths is not half an A level. Heck it is probably more important than the base maths A level to some departments at university.

You should be fine for Oxford if you get A*A*A*.

Good to hear. Do you think the EP is totally irrelevant, or does it have some small significance?

Just wondering whether its even worth completing.
Reply 5
Original post by crump2t
Good to hear. Do you think the EP is totally irrelevant, or does it have some small significance?

Just wondering whether its even worth completing.

EPQ might help depending what it is on. I would think it is more likely to help for those with marginal chances to begin with.

You get A*'s across the board from GCSE through A level, especially Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A level, and you are getting into a good university guaranteed and probably any of your choice.
Maths and further maths are 2 A levels not one and a half. Really you'll just belimiting what courses you can do at uni since you won't be able to be flexible with choice. There's also having less UCAS points (not massive) and unis will be less impressed though it's understandable if you have been affected by amnesia.
Reply 7
It depends on the university really. Most won't care if you have 3 if you get the grades but some universities prefer a 4th AS and that may disadvantage you. I'd research and maybe get in touch with the universities you plan to apply to.
Reply 8
Original post by crump2t

Given you say you're predicted A*, you must be doing both AS and A2 Further Maths right? This is a full "proper" A level, and a very respected one at that. You would stand a very good chance for Oxford with those subjects. A lot of people have 4 A levels, but it is not expected. A couple of years back two guys from my school got into Oxbridge medicine (one Oxford, one Cambridge) and I'm pretty sure they only did 3 A levels, apart from mickey mouse Welsh Bacc which is certainly no better than EPQ really..
Original post by crump2t

I'm almost offended by this, my school had the majority of students with 3 A2 subjects, maybe 3 and an EPQ at most, nobody had more. Yet you act as if 3 A2s is somehow abnormal and bad? It's almost like a joke.
Original post by crump2t

Those 3 A levels are fine for Oxford.

While I'm generally a fan of EPQ (and so are most university admissions tutors for the record) and it might be helpful if you want something on your academic record showing that you're capable of essay writing - your priority should be getting the best grades possible on your A levels and preparing for the PAT as much as you can.
https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates/applications/entrance-requirements
https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates/applications/admissions-procedures-for-physics (shortlisting is based on PAT results so you have to do well)
Original post by Dinasaurus
I'm almost offended by this, my school had the majority of students with 3 A2 subjects, maybe 3 and an EPQ at most, nobody had more. Yet you act as if 3 A2s is somehow abnormal and bad? It's almost like a joke.

I *think* the OP means 4 AS levels.
Original post by crump2t

Well the the college I've applied to rarely do 4 A-Levels without a good reason. You must go to a grammar/private school.
Original post by EastGuava

Wouldn't they need to be at A2 to be predicted A*?
Wouldn't they need to be at A2 to be predicted A*?

He said he's "on course" for A* predictions. Also he only mentioned his GCSE grades, suggesting he hasn't got any AS grades at the moment. It's either that or he goes to a really good school...
Reply 15
Original post by EastGuava

No, 4 A2 Levels is the norm at my school.

Original post by ckfeister
Well the the college I've applied to rarely do 4 A-Levels without a good reason. You must go to a grammar/private school.

Yeah, bingo. Its a private school in London.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest