The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Which is the best accomodation?

I'm a future International Relations student coming off of a gap year and was just wondering where to apply? I've heard Brighthelm is the best but worried about the lack of social spaces. Anyone have any opinions?
The best accommodation is Northfield. I could write a paragraph on why, but tl'dr, its northfield.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
You're gonna hate me for this but may I ask why? Haha
Reply 3
Original post by CallumStewart
You're gonna hate me for this but may I ask why? Haha

Northfield looks so good. Newest accommodation; en-suite; social area; nice views; quite a large accommodation in terms of bedspace; etc. I've definitely put it down as one of my preferences.

Hello I'm wondering how the food situation is at Uni of Sussex? I was looking at a map of all the food locations and there really only is like 6 placesl. I know there's a grocery store close by, but anyone attending there have good experiences with the food selection?

I feel like the chances of actually getting into Northfield are so slim, everyone on TSR seems to be choosing it!
brighthelm and eastslope are the most social
Reply 7
I'm a future International Relations student coming off of a gap year and was just wondering where to apply? I've heard Brighthelm is the best but worried about the lack of social spaces. Anyone have any opinions?

I'm studying international relations too!
Original post by shiaharris
brighthelm and eastslope are the most social

Do you know why Brighthelm is so social? Seems odd as there is no dedicated social space there. Do you know anything about the social aspect of Northfield?
Original post by jjbloomy
I'm studying international relations too!

Sweet! Are you doing single honours? I'm doing single honours with pathway
Yeah I'm doing single honours
Do you know why Brighthelm is so social? Seems odd as there is no dedicated social space there. Do you know anything about the social aspect of Northfield?

my girlfriend goes there and there's lots of houseparties and it's still a 5 minute walk from eastslope bar - also northfield is notoriously un-sociable because its far away from absolutley everything and everyone
Original post by shiaharris
my girlfriend goes there and there's lots of houseparties and it's still a 5 minute walk from eastslope bar - also northfield is notoriously un-sociable because its far away from absolutley everything and everyone

No it isn't. 15 minutes walking at average speed from the library isn't 'far away'. On that walk is every other on-campus accommodation except Stanmer Court.
Reply 13

I'm doing IR too! Have you chosen your accommodation yet?
Original post by SmallTownGirl
No it isn't. 15 minutes walking at average speed from the library isn't 'far away'. On that walk is every other on-campus accommodation except Stanmer Court.

Northfield is at the end of the world. No other accomodation is as far away and it does make a difference. The statement that you have to walk past every other accomodation, save stanmer court, should already illustrate how effing far off northfield is

Brighthelm inhabitant here: brighthelm is amazing and the kitchen/living area is our social space (dunno where you got the idea that there was no social area?) brighthelm consists of little houses, which makes one big social area unnecessary as you just go to the house your friends live in for pre's or whatever. Northfield is nice, but expensive, mostly internationals and quite unsocial. All of my friends who live there are not happy about the social situation.(If you're worried about sharing bathrooms, don't. Brighthelm has two bathrooms and 5 residents and we split up the bathrooms between boys and girls, so the two boys share one (which is hella messy) and us three girls share one (which is nice and clean) and there's barely ever an issue with showering or whatever)
Original post by KieranWinterburn
I feel like the chances of actually getting into Northfield are so slim, everyone on TSR seems to be choosing it!

There are 1072 bedspaces in Northfield, 575 in East Slope, 474 in Stanmer Court, and the rest have around 250-300 or so (not to sure about Park Houses or Village though).

I would've chosen Swanborough because it looks nicer than Northfield and it's in the centre of campus, but due to that, I'm guessing its going to be well-oversubscribed considering they only have 250 bedspaces. If you have an unconditional offer, or you're an international student, then chances are you will get your number one preference. If you're a domestic student with a conditional offer (like myself), then just hold tight :smile: but Northfield is supposed to be their biggest on-campus accommodation in terms of availability, so fingers crossed. Also, don't forget that it's the furthest away from campus out of all of the other on-campus accommodations, so that might put people off too. If you don't get the accommodation you want though, there's always the chance to do a swap with someone when the swap-lists are available, as much of a pain I know that is.

I've put down Northfield as a top choice myself - I'm willing to take the gamble. I'm really not keen on East Slope or any of the other shared-bathroom accommodations (apart from Brighthelm), purely because I like my privacy when washing myself or using the toilet. Plus, the thought of walking in the same corridors we throw parties in, in my towel after a shower puts me off a lot. Anyway, I know you didn't really ask much and I'm just over-detailing it now haha, but I hope that's helped a bit :smile:
Original post by pannyfrost
There are 1072 bedspaces in Northfield, 575 in East Slope, 474 in Stanmer Court, and the rest have around 250-300 or so (not to sure about Park Houses or Village though).

I would've chosen Swanborough because it looks nicer than Northfield and it's in the centre of campus, but due to that, I'm guessing its going to be well-oversubscribed considering they only have 250 bedspaces. If you have an unconditional offer, or you're an international student, then chances are you will get your number one preference. If you're a domestic student with a conditional offer (like myself), then just hold tight :smile: but Northfield is supposed to be their biggest on-campus accommodation in terms of availability, so fingers crossed. Also, don't forget that it's the furthest away from campus out of all of the other on-campus accommodations, so that might put people off too. If you don't get the accommodation you want though, there's always the chance to do a swap with someone when the swap-lists are available, as much of a pain I know that is.

I've put down Northfield as a top choice myself - I'm willing to take the gamble. I'm really not keen on East Slope or any of the other shared-bathroom accommodations (apart from Brighthelm), purely because I like my privacy when washing myself or using the toilet. Plus, the thought of walking in the same corridors we throw parties in, in my towel after a shower puts me off a lot. Anyway, I know you didn't really ask much and I'm just over-detailing it now haha, but I hope that's helped a bit :smile:

Hahaha no yeah I completely agree with all of that!

I'm in a weird situation with my offer cos I'm doing a different course to A Levels so I get my results before everyone else - hopefully that means I get my accommodation allocated early too, haha.

Hopefully you're right about Northfield not being too heavily subscribed, though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending