The Student Room Group

Did you ever experience any ethical issues on your work experience?

Has anyone ever seen any ethical issues whilst on their work experience?
Reply 1
Anyone ever? It's likely... but yes, I did. Or at least I think so, depends what you mean by 'ethical issues' though.
If you think you have seen something that worries you or that you think needs escalating talk privately to your supervisor in the first instance. They might be able to help you understand what happened or report the incident if needs be.

When thinking about whether a situation presents an ethical dilemma consider:
- the patient's autonomy- is it being respected/is someone acting in their best interests if they are not able to consent or understand the situation
-Beneficence, do the benefits outweigh any negative consequences?
-Non-Maleficence, is there any harm being done?
-Justice, is the process fair and equal?

Here's a good resource for further learning: http://www.ukcen.net/index.php/main
Reply 3
Original post by PoolR
Anyone ever? It's likely... but yes, I did. Or at least I think so, depends what you mean by 'ethical issues' though.

In regards to a scenario which you did not expect - for example, doctor did not ask patient consent?
Reply 4
Original post by meggallison
In regards to a scenario which you did not expect - for example, doctor did not ask patient consent?

Funnily the thing that came up was one of consent, though to be clear no doctor did anything without consent.
theres always ethical issues - family interfering with patient decisions, no privacy because of curtains so poor confidentiality in hospital wards....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending