The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

CS: University of Surrey or University of Southampton

I have been offered a place to study Computer Science from all of the universities I applied to but now I cannot decide whether I should firm Surrey or Southampton.

University of Southampton is in the Russel Group, has a far higher research quality, and performs far better in the world rankings, whereas University of Surrey is quite new and not renowned for its research.

On the other hand, Surrey is one of the best places to live in the UK and the location of the university is pretty convenient, with it being just outside of London and a 5-minute walk away from both the High Street and the railway station.

I have been to Guildford and I liked the place, but I have never been to Southampton, so I just don't know, because I take into account factors such as green spaces, architecture, quality of life, culture, shopping and leisure.

Would Southampton enhance my career prospects more than Surrey, just because it's in the RG?

I need advice. I am lost.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think Southampton would be better because of the reputation and quality of teaching. Career prospects will probably be a bit better as well. But don't take my word for it- do some more research and see where past students have gone to work and also look at the modules you will learn at each university to see which one would be more interesting.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Original post by Trapz99
I think Southampton would be better because of the reputation and quality of teaching. Career prospects will probably be a bit better as well. But don't take my word for it- do some more research and see where past students have gone to work and also look at the modules you will learn at each university to see which one would be more interesting.

Wow! That was fast. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
Original post by melissa.hk98
I have been offered a place to study Computer Science from all of the universities I applied to but now I cannot decide whether I should firm Surrey or Southampton.

University of Southampton is in the Russel Group, has a far higher research quality, and performs far better in the world rankings, whereas University of Surrey is quite new and not renowned for its research.

On the other hand, Surrey is one of the best places to live in the UK and the location of the university is pretty convenient, with it being just outside of London and a 5-minute walk away from both the High Street and the railway station.

I have been to Guildford and I liked the place, but I have never been to Southampton, so I just don't know, because I take into account factors such as green spaces, architecture, quality of life, culture, shopping and leisure.

Would Southampton enhance my career prospects more than Surrey, just because it's in the RG?

Congrats! I'm still waiting for responses from both! :frown:

I guess it depends on if there's a specific sector you're desperate to break in to, but my understanding is that Surrey have pretty good graduate prospects as well, especially if you opt for the sandwich course with a year in industry.

Have you been invited to an applicant day? If you can make one, that would probably be a good chance to find out more about things like that! But if you can, I'd definitely try and get to see both places before you make a final decision :smile:

Ultimately though, I'd say worry less about graduate prospects and more about the contents of the course and which one you think you'll enjoy the most. At the end of the day, your graduate prospects are going to be pretty solid whichever you pick, but you'll find it harder getting there if you end up in a course that you're not enjoying!
Reply 4
I applied to Surrey and Southhampton, and after going to Applicant days for both I firmed Surrey as my top choice, despite Southhampton being Russell Group. This was due to the course structure ( Surrey includes Research Methods as a gradual module in all areas, whereas Southhampton has it as one long, boring module), the placement year, and the general atmosphere I picked up at the universities - when I went to Southhampton I really didn't want to go to university at all, but at Surrey I felt at home.

It's just personal preference really! I favour student satisfaction considering how long i'll be living there
Reply 5
Original post by its-zoe
I applied to Surrey and Southhampton, and after going to Applicant days for both I firmed Surrey as my top choice, despite Southhampton being Russell Group. This was due to the course structure ( Surrey includes Research Methods as a gradual module in all areas, whereas Southhampton has it as one long, boring module), the placement year, and the general atmosphere I picked up at the universities - when I went to Southhampton I really didn't want to go to university at all, but at Surrey I felt at home.

It's just personal preference really! I favour student satisfaction considering how long i'll be living there

Thank you for your answer! It was really helpful, since I will not be able to visit Southampton. I was really worried that I wouldn't like it if I were to firm it, now I know. I really want to spend my time at uni in the best way possible, so it's really important whether the city is good or not. At Surrey I felt like I'm home too.

The only problem is that Southampton has an outstanding research reputation and is in top 100 in most of the world rankings, that's what's troubling me now. :confused:
I didn't know much about Southampton, but as a second year CS student in Surrey, I think Surrey is more about self motivation and programming experience. There are a lot of programming projects and if you spend more time writing nice software, you will benefit a lot from it. Students in the course are energetic, motivated and easy-going. You can easily get good grade if you work hard

In terms of opportunities, a lot of professors are seeking undergraduates to do research or projects. There are also startups looking for developers. And occasionally, professors will send you emails about part time jobs available. In terms of placements, quite a lot of us have offers from large companies. Even if you are not that qualified, there are smaller companies looking for SURREY STUDENTS ONLY.

But I would say the downside of Surrey is some lecturers are not that good in terms of teaching.
Reply 7
Original post by adg888888
I didn't know much about Southampton, but as a second year CS student in Surrey, I think Surrey is more about self motivation and programming experience. There are a lot of programming projects and if you spend more time writing nice software, you will benefit a lot from it. Students in the course are energetic, motivated and easy-going. You can easily get good grade if you work hard

In terms of opportunities, a lot of professors are seeking undergraduates to do research or projects. There are also startups looking for developers. And occasionally, professors will send you emails about part time jobs available. In terms of placements, quite a lot of us have offers from large companies. Even if you are not that qualified, there are smaller companies looking for SURREY STUDENTS ONLY.

But I would say the downside of Surrey is some lecturers are not that good in terms of teaching.

That was really helpful! I just saw that the major companies don't target Surrey, but I guess that's wrong.

I am really interested in research opportunities so I really appreciate the insight you gave me.

Also, is the course entirely practical, I am also looking for theoretical subjects, because I think I want to go into further study and research after uni. Though, I haven't decided yet.
That was really helpful! I just saw that the major companies don't target Surrey, but I guess that's wrong.

I am really interested in research opportunities so I really appreciate the insight you gave me.

Also, is the course entirely practical, I am also looking for theoretical subjects, because I think I want to go into further study and research after uni. Though, I haven't decided yet.

More like concepts than theories. If you were asking for precisely theories, they are modules but not much. But afaic, having good understanding in different fields of cs and good programming skills would be sufficient if you want to go for research route
Also I have to say we are not taught maths in depth. If you are a maths fanatics, maybe you can choose mathematics and computer science instead.
Reply 9

I also applied for CS at surrey and Southampton. Southampton CS department is really good. I haven't been to Surrey but it has very good stats. Both seem to have solid job prospects. Since Surrey require lower entry grades maybe you could insure them? (If you haven't already decided).
Original post by Pyslocke
I also applied for CS at surrey and Southampton. Southampton CS department is really good. I haven't been to Surrey but it has very good stats. Both seem to have solid job prospects. Since Surrey require lower entry grades maybe you could insure them? (If you haven't already decided).

I still cannot make a firm decision and I am starting to get worried. I don't like the city of Southampton and the fact that they don't offer a placement year, but on the other hand SOTON is internationally recognized for the research quality and the whole department.

I also have an offer from Bath that seems impossible to achieve, but I really like the uni. I am afraid that if I wait a little longer to decide, I might need to reapply next year. :biggrin:
Reply 11

Hi, I have received an unconditional offer from Surrey too, and I've done some research about Southampton.
Concerning graduate prospects, there is no doubt that both unis are a great boost for your career. However, the placement year that Surrey administers gives Surrey a great advantage over Southampton. It is true that Southampton has a better quality of research but that's because it is an older uni and receives higher contributions from the government I guess, but that does not mean that the quality of the course itself is better.
Concerning the campuses, Surrey's location speaks it all.
Finally, it's definitely you and your hardwork that make you standout, but you have to compare the modules of both courses to ensure that you're studying what you love.
Original post by Karamt
Hi, I have received an unconditional offer from Surrey too, and I've done some research about Southampton.
Concerning graduate prospects, there is no doubt that both unis are a great boost for your career. However, the placement year that Surrey administers gives Surrey a great advantage over Southampton. It is true that Southampton has a better quality of research but that's because it is an older uni and receives higher contributions from the government I guess, but that does not mean that the quality of the course itself is better.
Concerning the campuses, Surrey's location speaks it all.
Finally, it's definitely you and your hardwork that make you standout, but you have to compare the modules of both courses to ensure that you're studying what you love.

Hey! Thanks for your advicie. Did you firm Surrey?
Reply 13
I recieved unconditional offers from Glasgow, Swansea, Royal Holloway, and Surrey, but I am most probably accepting Surrey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I still cannot make a firm decision and I am starting to get worried. I don't like the city of Southampton and the fact that they don't offer a placement year, but on the other hand SOTON is internationally recognized for the research quality and the whole department.

I also have an offer from Bath that seems impossible to achieve, but I really like the uni. I am afraid that if I wait a little longer to decide, I might need to reapply next year. :biggrin:

Nah, you still have a few weeks to decide. According to the league ranking, Bath's average entry score for CS is slightly lower than Southampton. Hope that helps
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Hi, I'm in a similar position. I'm deciding between leeds uni and surrey uni for psychology. I can't seem to decide which one i prefer!! Been to both applicant days and they are both very different although the courses are great for both. Surrey is a leafy campus which seems sociable and homely but Leeds is a big student city with amazing nightlife. i also prefer the accomodation at leeds with the traditional halls. Has anyone got any comments about either uni, and maybe the pros and cons? Thanks :smile:
I would like to thank all of you for your replies and advice! I just firmed Surrey and chose Kent for insurance. I am so excited about Surrey and I think I made the right choice! Hope I see some of you next year! :smile:
Reply 17
Good choice.
All the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
hello,
could sm1 let me know which uni (Surrey or Soton) is good and reputed for MBA (General mngmt or atleast marketing side)
Thnks in advance
Reply 19
I would like to thank all of you for your replies and advice! I just firmed Surrey and chose Kent for insurance. I am so excited about Surrey and I think I made the right choice! Hope I see some of you next year! :smile:

Wow we are actually in the same situation in terms of choices & you deffo made the right choice. Goodluck with your forthcoming exams !!!

Quick Reply

Latest