The Student Room Group

Breaking up or staying together when going to University

For those couples who are deciding about Uni, my question is are you planning to stay together when the time comes.
Or are you going to break up? with that are any of you thinking of breaking up now? or are you going to break up when the time of going to Uni comes?
I haven't told him yet...but I'd rather break up before uni. I can't see us having a future together because we aren't that compatible, and we both want different things from a relationship. He treats me like we're friends with benefits rather than boyfriend and girlfriend, and I care about him more than he cares about me etc.

That being said, I enjoy the sex and spending time with him, that's why I'm staying with him until the start of uni. I know the relationship isn't right for me, plus uni is a good place to meet new people, that's why I will eventually end it.
Original post by Anonymous
I haven't told him yet...but I'd rather break up before uni. I can't see us having a future together because we aren't that compatible, and we both want different things from a relationship. He treats me like we're friends with benefits rather than boyfriend and girlfriend, and I care about him more than he cares about me etc.

That being said, I enjoy the sex and spending time with him, that's why I'm staying with him until the start of uni. I know the relationship isn't right for me, plus uni is a good place to meet new people, that's why I will eventually end it.

Fair enough, you both may have to speak about this soon though I reckon but it's true you will meet a lot of new people at Uni.
I think if two people are happy enough together they will try and make it work no matter what. I think if they split up because of an external factor like uni, I.e. not anything to do with them or their compatibility etc., it means their relationship maybe wasn't as serious as they thought. That's just my view though. I'm not in this situation currently but when my boyfriend went abroad for an internship and we knew were going to be long distance for a while, neither of us considered breaking up. It did put a strain on things and wasn't easy at times but it was worth it. I think it also depends how long you've been together and how often you will get to see each other. Both partners need to make the effort to see the other for it to work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
My boyfriend and I said we're going to see. If the distance is feasible (ie: both in the West Country, Midlands, North, etc) then we stay together. If the distance is less ideal (ie: Wales vs St. Andrews, Durham vs Exeter), then we try but keep options open. If he gets into Australia, then we break up entirely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending