The Student Room Group

i really hate group work

i'm the unwanted, i'm the leftover.
i hope teacher would assign the group instead of letting student choose their teammates. i ****ing hate people.
after i was assigned into a group, nobody ever want to do anything. delaying delaying delaying delaying delaying delaying delaying delaying delaying parts that they are supposed to do. i ****ing hate people.
dont worry, plenty of us know the feeling

i had to do a presentation with someone who was so stupid that he literally read the slides word for word, if the lecturer had not been so sympathetic to our cause since he's the one who stuck us with the idiot, he would have single handedly bombed our mark instead of just his

moral of the story - group work sucks regardless of who picks the group, especially when it can effect something as important and long term as a grade
Reply 2
Same, i've got 2 presentations in the next 1-2 weeks and I don't even have a group.
Why do you think it will be any better once you get a job?
i hate it when i get put in groups. i prefer working with my mates
Yeah, I had the same feeling before.
Reply 6
Original post by Helloworld_95
Why do you think it will be any better once you get a job?

Jobs suck aint uni supposed to be fun?
I hate people too.
There's always one person who wants to do everything and then the people who do absolutely nothing and we all get equal credit?! Grrrr
This was the one thing I hated more than anything at University, was when it was a group assignment/presentation. Always that one person who didn't pull their weight and always arguments on agreeing a time to meet to do the work etc.
To be honest, all the group work I have done as a whole has been good and turned out well.
But you better get used to it, you will at one point or another in future jobs have to pick up others slack and have to work with people you don't get along with.
Original post by patrickstarfish
i hope teacher would assign the group instead of letting student choose their teammates. i ****ing hate people.
after i was assigned into a group, nobody ever want to do anything. delaying delaying delaying delaying delaying delaying delaying delaying delaying parts that they are supposed to do. i ****ing hate people.

The thing is, if you can find a good group of people to work with on future projects, then you can avoid some of these problems.

I can understand your frustration, but only up to a point. You're going to have to work with other people for the rest of your life. Sometimes you'll need to form relationships with those people, sometimes you'll have to deal with people who are on your team and don't pull their weight or are shitty colleagues for some other reason.

There's a reason group work is a factor in so many degrees now- it prepares you for employment in a way that solo working on essays etc. doesn't. You need to find a way of working with others that works for you too.
So I am an AS student currently with a normal amount of friends and i was wondering, if anyone studying maths sees this, is there a lot of group work at degree level because i'm not exactly the sort of person who others talk to for like the first... two years when i enter the next level of education. it happened with primary school and i was fine. Secondary school however was a nightmare as for the two years it took me, the amount of times the teacher got angry at me because no one would accept me into a group was uncountable and i'm still amazed i never got a detention. the reason for me not having friends in the first two years is that all my other friends went to different secondary schools to me. I have a big feeling the same is going to happen in uni and i just wanted to know if there are a lot of presentation and other group work in maths compared to other courses e.g. physics, history etc..
Same here same here
Reply 14
Original post by patrickstarfish

Just because you're unwanted doesn't give you the right to hate others. You have a problem and it's nobody's fault. Everyone has to go through the same **** you do and just because you can't handle it doesn't mean you should hate others.
Original post by Toasticide
So I am an AS student currently with a normal amount of friends and i was wondering, if anyone studying maths sees this, is there a lot of group work at degree level because i'm not exactly the sort of person who others talk to for like the first... two years when i enter the next level of education. it happened with primary school and i was fine. Secondary school however was a nightmare as for the two years it took me, the amount of times the teacher got angry at me because no one would accept me into a group was uncountable and i'm still amazed i never got a detention. the reason for me not having friends in the first two years is that all my other friends went to different secondary schools to me. I have a big feeling the same is going to happen in uni and i just wanted to know if there are a lot of presentation and other group work in maths compared to other courses e.g. physics, history etc..

pretty much every course has a group project at some point, including maths, maths is likely to have just a couple of groups projects compared to something like psychology (which I studied) which lends itself to a lot of group work

there isn't a course you can take to avoid this you just need to work out how to deal with it, an employer isn't going to give you 2 years to make friends before they expect you to work with people... you don't need to be 'accepted' into a group, you may be assigned a group and if not just walk up to someone and ask to work with them, it's unlikely anyone will be difficult about it, this isn't high school

OP - you need to learn to work with people, even as an adult in a 'proper' job there will still be people you have to work with, often closely, who have a different work ethic, you just have to get on with people... having loads of negativity about it won't help you
Original post by desslop
Just because you're unwanted doesn't give you the right to hate others. You have a problem and it's nobody's fault. Everyone has to go through the same **** you do and just because you can't handle it doesn't mean you should hate others.

He's actually well within his rights to hate others and blame them for the awkwardness that he may feel, and to be negative, and anything else he wants to be

Shieetttt, no one can tell me who i can or cant hate, or how i can or cant feel about people even if its for superficial reasons. i hated most of the people around me on my course because they were self-righteous pricks, everyone has their own reasons. I think girls that shave half of their heads off look like **** and should be shot on site, dont care about their personality one little bit, it just is what it is lol.

And not everyone goes through the same thing in education, some people find that they just 'fit in' wherever they go, all the way from school through to graduation, and they will never understand how others don't manage to do the same, and equally, there are others that wish they fit in more, and say they hate those that do, but in reality, they dont hate them, what they really need is a reaching-out to.

Maybe OP is just socially awkward and needs a friend, maybe he just think's he's not wanted

OR maybe he's a f*cktard and thats why no one wants to work with him, but i would like to assume that if he is, then he knows and he wouldnt bother making threads like this
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by KungPooPanda
He's actually well within his rights to hate others and blame them for the awkwardness that he may feel, and to be negative, and anything else he wants to be

Shieetttt, no one can tell me who i can or cant hate, or how i can or cant feel about people even if its for superficial reasons. i hated most of the people around me on my course because they were self-righteous pricks, everyone has their own reasons. I think girls that shave half of their heads off look like **** and should be shot on site, dont care about their personality one little bit, it just is what it is lol.

And not everyone goes through the same thing in education, some people find that they just 'fit in' wherever they go, all the way from school through to graduation, and they will never understand how others don't manage to do the same, and equally, there are others that wish they fit in more, and say they hate those that do, but in reality, they dont hate them, what they really need is a reaching-out to.

Maybe OP is just socially awkward and needs a friend, maybe he just think's he's not wanted

OR maybe he's a f*cktard and thats why no one wants to work with him, but i would like to assume that if he is, then he knows and he wouldnt bother making threads like this

I don't care what people think deep down. If I did care, I would be preaching to every single person on this planet. However, if you share what you really think and I believe it to be f*cked up then I will sh*t on your face and tell you its f*cked up.

Nothing wrong with being self-righteous. Everyone is self-righteous to an extent. However, when you pass that threshold it turns into hatred for people and that's f*cked up. A person could come off as being full of themselves but they could still be nice people because we aren't two-dimensional creatures. When you hate people for no reason then it's obviously because you fail to see that very fact. Someone who is self-righteous has a basis for their self-righteousness because everyone is their own person and they have their own preconceived notions about everything but someone who hates people in general has no basis for their hatred. That's why I'm not a hypocrite when I say that people who seem to have undesirable characteristics can still be nice since hating on people for no reason is the very opposite of being nice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending