The Student Room Group

I'm a woman and I'm not a feminist

Scroll to see replies

I didn't get suddenly angry. I felt a wave of calm wash over me as I read the title.

I think what matters most in the road to equality is what we're fighting for, not the label we use. I would say I'm a feminist because of the history that goes along with it, but you do you.
Reply 21
Original post by colourtheory
Very nicely articulated; I couldn't agree more myself.

Thank you, I think its important that people relaise that words aren't just a literal thing. Multi faceted and powerful is more accurate!
I think you are cool, but (and this doesn't apply to you from what you've said) I think the issue of feeling embarrassment at the mention of feminism that many women feel needs to be addressed. Or the feeling apathy when it's discussed because there are still pockets even within our own society where we are very much dealing with women's issues.

And being treated as equals with men, in some cultures IMO, is still not good enough for women. For example, where neither is permitted contraception, but guess who, literally gets left holding the baby.

Maybe feminism and improving conditions for women by setting a standard is more achievable? It's not in our human nature to treat other as equals generally!

Not a criticism of your view points, just some thoughts. Also, my background is working in a very male dominated testosterone fuelled large industry which was a shock to my young system to say the least and you do see where there is work to be done. Not so apparent when you are younger and in the school environment.
Original post by JPO92
Feminism is not something that can be taken so literally. People assume its a movement towards a Matriarchal society. This is not the case. You can call yourself egalitarian if you like, but it makes no difference, your aims and mine are the same, you just choose to call yourself something else.

What I might draw your attention to, is the fact that when you reject feminism, you reject its history, you reject the women who fought for your rights to the point of death in some cases, and you reject its relevancy, if not in the UK, then in the wider world. Words carry the weight of their history, and the goals and aspirations for the future in their utterance.

Didn't say I rejected feminism just said I was an egalitarian. I used to be a feminist but like I said to someone else I felt the definition of egalitarianism just suited me better.
Original post by colourtheory
Oh my. Your grasp of feminism is outstandingly poor.

This is one of the main things I get said to me when I tell someone I'm an egalitarian and not a feminist. I have done my research into both ideologies and made my decision on what I feel suits me best.
Original post by emily-brown
I'm not a feminist because I'm an egalitarian.

But I bet some people who read that title suddenly got really angry because they believe I hated myself and was sexist or whatever. But no, I fight for equal rights and it is my choice to "identify" as an egalitarian instead of a feminist.

But for some reason people still hate on me, tell me to kill myself, call me ugly, sexist, racist, misogynist etc, all of which I most certainly am not. Why am I hated on for being an egalitarian? Isn't it a feminist issue that women are discriminated against for their opinions?

Feminism does not own "equality". People, like myself, can want equality and not be a feminist I'm afraid.

Same here actually, I wouldn't identify myself as a feminist as I believe in equal rights
You agent of the patriarchy!!!!!

I bet you're saying this to get attention from guys right?

Spoiler

Reply 27
Didn't say I rejected feminism just said I was an egalitarian. I used to be a feminist but like I said to someone else I felt the definition of egalitarianism just suited me better.

But surely, if two words that mean to do the same thing are available, then a choice must be made? Surely then, to choose a movement that has no history and no power over a movement that has sought, always and relentlessly to support equality is odd?

You make a choice to reject feminism by making a choice to accept egalitarianism although both support the same idea. You might not realise you are doing it, but I guess that's why I'm here, to point that out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Men are also discriminated against. I refuse to play a victim when I can just be awesome. :awesome:
Original post by JPO92
But surely, if two words that mean to do the same thing are available, then a choice must be made? Surely then, to choose a movement that has no history and no power over a movement that has sought, always and relentlessly to support equality is odd?

You make a choice to reject feminism by making a choice to accept egalitarianism although both support the same idea. You might not realise you are doing it, but I guess that's why I'm here, to point that out.

My views may be considered odd but it's just how I feel. If you believe I have chosen to reject feminism then that's very well. I feel I haven't, and to me that's what matters.
I'm a feminist but I understand where you're coming from, as long as we're all fighting for equality :smile:
Reply 31
My views may be considered odd but it's just how I feel. If you believe I have chosen to reject feminism then that's very well. I feel I haven't, and to me that's what matters.

I'm not having a go! I'm just trying to get you to see it from my perspective. You're entitled to your opinion as am I. If you put it on a public forum, don't expect everyone to agree with it.
Original post by JPO92
Feminism is not something that can be taken so literally. People assume its a movement towards a Matriarchal society. This is not the case. You can call yourself egalitarian if you like, but it makes no difference, your aims and mine are the same, you just choose to call yourself something else.

That may be a great hypothetical Utopian idea that are great in academia and hypothetical debates... but that isn't what modern third wave feminists are taking in real life. Modern feminists that are in political institutions and positions of power (or to effect change) act more about man-hating and having power complexes than anything else. They may not mean it, or not aware of it, but that is the environment that is being created.

Original post by JPO92
What I might draw your attention to, is the fact that when you reject feminism, you reject its history, you reject the women who fought for your rights to the point of death in some cases, and you reject its relevancy, if not in the UK, then in the wider world. Words carry the weight of their history, and the goals and aspirations for the future in their utterance.

That's also a strawman. A lot of people (including females) only reject third wave feminism, but not feminism throughout history. What about the men who fought for these rights? They may not have considered themselves feminist.

The day modern feminist care about "the wider world" would be a good day for humanity, but today is not that day it seems...

What are the goals and aspirations for the future of modern feminism? getting more Anita Sarkeesians into Twitter and UN so they can make money and ban people in the name of harassment? Getting $1million for making videos about sexism in video games..? whilst there are women starving, not have money for education for their kids and having their genitals mutilated?

Don't forget many self-proclaimed feminist have left this "movement" after getting chastised and attacked for... having a different opinion.
Original post by JPO92
I'm not having a go! I'm just trying to get you to see it from my perspective. You're entitled to your opinion as am I. If you put it on a public forum, don't expect everyone to agree with it.

I know you're not, don't worry! I hear feminist's perspectives often when I bring up this, and I did expect to get a fair few when I posted this. I do see what you're saying to me, and I understand why my choice of egalitarianism may be strange based on the lack of history and the fact it's not as widely known as feminism is. However feminism, to me, just doesn't fit entirely what I believe, and you may argue that they fight for the same, but to me I feel egalitarianism offers me more. I feel I haven't rejected feminism because many of the issues both groups are fighting for are the exact same, but I just prefer to go under egalitarian rather than feminist. Not for any reason other than one suits me more than the other! :smile:
I'm not a feminist because I'm an egalitarian.

But I bet some people who read that title suddenly got really angry because they believe I hated myself and was sexist or whatever. But no, I fight for equal rights and it is my choice to "identify" as an egalitarian instead of a feminist.

But for some reason people still hate on me, tell me to kill myself, call me ugly, sexist, racist, misogynist etc, all of which I most certainly am not. Why am I hated on for being an egalitarian? Isn't it a feminist issue that women are discriminated against for their opinions?

Feminism does not own "equality". People, like myself, can want equality and not be a feminist I'm afraid.

Many people feel like you!

Identity politics is pathetic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I know you're not, don't worry! I hear feminist's perspectives often when I bring up this, and I did expect to get a fair few when I posted this. I do see what you're saying to me, and I understand why my choice of egalitarianism may be strange based on the lack of history and the fact it's not as widely known as feminism is. However feminism, to me, just doesn't fit entirely what I believe, and you may argue that they fight for the same, but to me I feel egalitarianism offers me more. I feel I haven't rejected feminism because many of the issues both groups are fighting for are the exact same, but I just prefer to go under egalitarian rather than feminist. Not for any reason other than one suits me more than the other! :smile:

Ok, that's fine. At least I've made my view clear, I just don't want feminism misrepresented like it has been often enough. :smile:
Original post by ivy.98
Men are also discriminated against. I refuse to play a victim when I can just be awesome. :awesome:

You're the awesomest wife in the world. :colondollar: :kissing2:Luv you.
Reply 37
Original post by JPO92

You can support and appreciate the history of feminism and the women who fought for our rights whilst considering yourself as an egalitarian rather than a feminist. There is a difference between modern day feminism and the feminism that existed in the past.
Reply 38
Original post by lubsjk
You can support and appreciate the history of feminism and the women who fought for our rights whilst considering yourself as an egalitarian rather than a feminist. There is a difference between modern day feminism and the feminism that existed in the past.

There is no difference between modern day feminism and the feminism of the past. You're making a generalisation by saying that being a feminist is only supporting 'modern day feminism', whatever that is...
Original post by JPO92
There is no difference between modern day feminism and the feminism of the past. You're making a generalisation by saying that being a feminist is only supporting 'modern day feminism', whatever that is...

Are they still fighting for the vote?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending