The Student Room Group

How to study for AS languages?

I'm doing AS German and am aiming for an A, I'm just not sure how to revise apart from doing past papers. My main weakness is speaking, I'm not good at the speaking cards because I panic ;-; I tend to get Bs on the listening, reading and writing paper so I'm less worried about that. Any tips would be great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing languages too, French and Spanish and I totally understand you. What I do is listen to musics but find ones that you like even if you dont understand it because you are letting your brain getting used to the sound. I like to download random books or like tv episodes or news in the language and when I go to bed I listen to them and it goes until the morning. Your brain picks up things very fast even when sleeping and when you know it, you're getting better at pronunciation. Also, read out load to yourself
Reply 2
I'm having the same problems, I'm struggling with how to revise for French especially since I did my GCSE 2 years earlier, it's hard for me to adapt a way to revise/ improve my french :frown:
Original post by Taefella
I'm having the same problems, I'm struggling with how to revise for French especially since I did my GCSE 2 years earlier, it's hard for me to adapt a way to revise/ improve my french :frown:

So now you are still on GCSE or A level? I can help you with both..
Reply 4
Original post by sararodrigues
So now you are still on GCSE or A level? I can help you with both..

I'm doing AS AQA French.
Original post by sararodrigues
I'm doing languages too, French and Spanish and I totally understand you. What I do is listen to musics but find ones that you like even if you dont understand it because you are letting your brain getting used to the sound. I like to download random books or like tv episodes or news in the language and when I go to bed I listen to them and it goes until the morning. Your brain picks up things very fast even when sleeping and when you know it, you're getting better at pronunciation. Also, read out load to yourself

I'll definitely ty that, thank you! And good luck with your languages, too c:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zombie-dance
I'll definitely ty that, thank you! And good luck with your languages, too c:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing AS French, and I find speaking the hardest aswell! A big factor tends to be confidence, some people in my class aren't that good at French but because they speak confidently they sound better than others. It's easier said than done,I know, but as people have said above listening to music and watching tv shows helps a lot, I watch friends in French because I know what's happening so it helps me understand better, and it helps speaking as you can mimick their tones/ flows as they speak. I would also recommend preparing as many answers as possible for possible questions that come up, as if you've thought about it/ planned an answer before it'll be a lot easier to do in the exam!! Hope this helps!!
Reply 7
Something that I do, is I have a bunch of index cards and I write a question on each side - e.g. "Describe your favourite holiday" or "How would you describe your friends?" and then pick a card at random and a side at random, then time myself 5 minutes to try and answer that question [in German] in as much detail as poss. in front of a mirror.

If you do it enough and do it with topics you're covering in AS, you'll at least have had some preparation and will be a bit more confident.
HEY, i'm doing AS German as well. I do OCR. I think the best way to help with your speaking would be to speak to yourself in german. I do it all the time - especially when i am bored. If i don't know a word then i look it up. For a while I changed my phone into German, and i picked up a lot of vocab.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending