The Student Room Group

Insurance costs for first car

I'm looking at getting a car for once i pass my driving test, but am torn between 2. How much do you think insurance will be on a 1.1 Peugeot 206 (2004) compared to a 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa (2004-2006) both with around 60k miles? thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Kaizenberg
I'm looking at getting a car for once i pass my driving test, but am torn between 2. How much do you think insurance will be on a 1.1 Peugeot 206 (2004) compared to a 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa (2004-2006) both with around 60k miles? thanks

Should note i'm 17 y/o so insurance will be sky high no matter the car :smile::smile::smile::smile:

This has been covered in so many threads before. Firstly, nobody can give you even a remote figure if we don't know at least:

-Your Age
-Your Area/Area Type (ie. Rural, Inner City...)
Should note i'm 17 y/o so insurance will be sky high no matter the car :smile::smile::smile::smile:

Ah - posted at the same time as me.

Rule of thumb - take your value of the car, double it, then add £1000.

So a £1500 car could cost in the region of £4,000 a year.

Unlikely to exceed £7,000, unlikely to be less than £3,000. It won't improve much until you turn 21. When I turned 21, my premiums went from £6,850 to £1,100
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by XMaramena

Unlikely to exceed £7,000, unlikely to be less than £3,000. It won't improve much until you turn 21. When I turned 21, my premiums went from £6,850 to £1,100

That sounds a lot higher than expected! Are you sure you're feeling ok?
Reply 5
That sounds a lot higher than expected! Are you sure you're feeling ok?

Also i'm rural!
Also i'm rural!

If you're somewhere with a very low vehicle crime rate, then you may find something down at £2500 if you're very lucky, but as a 17 year old driver with zero no claims bonus, no previous driving experience, that would be a good deal.
Also i'm rural!

I just ran what I would assume your rough situation to be through a comparison site on the peugeot, here are the cheapest few that came up:

Ingenie - £2,479.18
Tesco Black Box - £2,653.68
Insure The Box - £2,771.75
Admiral Little Box - £3,038.63
Bell - £3,419.69
Sainsbury's Bank - £3,830.31
Admiral - £3,923.39
Elephant - £4,002.23

The most expensive were Hastings, Insure Wiser and Only Young Drivers, which were £6,297, £6,322 and £6,790 respectively.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
I just ran what I would assume your rough situation to be through a comparison site on the peugeot, here are the cheapest few that came up:

Ingenie - £2,479.18
Tesco Black Box - £2,653.68
Insure The Box - £2,771.75
Admiral Little Box - £3,038.63
Bell - £3,419.69
Sainsbury's Bank - £3,830.31
Admiral - £3,923.39
Elephant - £4,002.23

Thanks but my friends (in the same position) have got theirs for under £2k? With as low as £1500
I drive a Peugeot 206 and paid £1100 for my insurance. I'm 17 but the car is parked on our drive and I live in a fairly quiet area
Reply 10
Original post by baldwel
I drive a Peugeot 206 and paid £1100 for my insurance. I'm 17 but the car is parked on our drive and I live in a fairly quiet area

Thanks, that's a really good deal though, what company may I ask?
Thanks but my friends (in the same position) have got theirs for under £2k? With as low as £1500

Do they have a garage that gets locked? Or did they add parents with several years NCB onto their policy?
Original post by baldwel

That's got to be a first! Who's that with?
Reply 13
Do they have a garage that gets locked? Or did they add parents with several years NCB onto their policy?

Nope and nope, i think its the area tbh, i'm in North Yorkshire and nothing ever happens here :smile:
Thanks, that's a really good deal though, what company may I ask?

Autosaint, but they were all a similar price. I have a black box though. Best thing to do is just to go on compare the market and get a quote! Find a corsa or Peugeot for sale on auto trader and stick in that reg number for the quote to give yourself an estimate
That's got to be a first! Who's that with?

Autosaint. None of my friends pay much more than that though; highest I've heard of is about £1800. Must be the area I live in!
Reply 16
Original post by baldwel
Autosaint, but they were all a similar price. I have a black box though. Best thing to do is just to go on compare the market and get a quote! Find a corsa or Peugeot for sale on auto trader and stick in that reg number for the quote to give yourself an estimate

Ah yeah black box can bring it down a few hundred can't it. Also when i do what you said i get some stupidly cheap quotes from dodgy sites so i'm never sure where to draw the sensible line.

Unlikely to exceed £7,000, unlikely to be less than £3,000.
It won't improve much until you turn 21. When I turned 21, my premiums went from £6,850 to £1,100

You are talking s**t.
Although expensive, most peoples premiums are less than £3500

Its impossible to say. Everyones quotes are different, depending on a lot of factors (e.g. age, where you live, the car, named drivers etc etc).
Get yourself some quotes.
Have you tried looking at websites that offer black boxes? Can make a huge difference. Think i brought mine down by several hundred, now paying £1.6k/year for a 1.8 Focus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending