The Student Room Group

Are these subjects good for a Politics Degree?

Hiya, I'm 17 and starting College in September, quite simply, are these courses OK for a Politics Degree?

Government & Politics
Law
Philosophy
Sociology

Advise would be appreciated :smile:
They are very good, all of those are primarily essay based subjects which is liked by universities for those taking a degree in politics. To do well you would need a good understanding of the British legal system and taking government and politics goes without saying.
Hey,

i plan to do a politics and history degree at uni and do roughly the same subjects

There completely fine :smile:
Reply 3
Before studying them, is there anything I can do prior to studying these A Levels, as I currently work in Marketing & Fundraising and don't attend school so do have sometime.

Suggested reading, topic/content?
Find out the exam boards you are on - and get some revision guides and read the content. I'm doing edexcel politics, so for AS I did political participation and governing the uk and second year I'm doing political ideologies -
Original post by JackEDeakin
Before studying them, is there anything I can do prior to studying these A Levels, as I currently work in Marketing & Fundraising and don't attend school so do have sometime.

Suggested reading, topic/content?

For a politics degree it is best to get a good idea of some important political ideas and thoughts so have a look at basic concepts on the internet which should help you a lot. If you are looking for reading material then I would recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Politics-An-Introduction-Barrie-Axford/dp/0415226422

Its good as an introduction and has good reviews. I would advice you to only buy used books however, in case they are not relevant.

Check local libraries to see if they have got any good reads for beginners on politics. The internet also has plenty of information though not entirely reliable but do have a look at political parties and important political figures throughout history as this will help you understand the concepts in the real world.
I'm considering doing a politics degree but don't do politics for AS, I do history, English lit, French and maths, and plan to drop history next year and keep on my other subjects. Would I be able to do politics having not yet studied it?
Original post by gkelly570
I'm considering doing a politics degree but don't do politics for AS, I do history, English lit, French and maths, and plan to drop history next year and keep on my other subjects. Would I be able to do politics having not yet studied it?

I doubt it as having government and politics as a subject is very important and universities are likely to not allow candidates without this but you should check the requirements.
Reply 8
Original post by Heroic Madness
I doubt it as having government and politics as a subject is very important and universities are likely to not allow candidates without this but you should check the requirements.

Hmm, I don't know. I've read that the actual subjects don't really matter. Your subjects are essay based so they would probably be alright, although I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help guys.
Hi, I'm in my second year of a politics degree at the moment and those subjects are fine.

Also just to make a general point, A Level government and politics isn't usually necessary (although its helpful), usually any essay based subject is fine e.g. History, English etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jonnys123
Hi, I'm in my second year of a politics degree at the moment and those subjects are fine.

Also just to make a general point, A Level government and politics isn't usually necessary (although its helpful), usually any essay based subject is fine e.g. History, English etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!

I found a great course at UOB that I have fell in love with - Politics, Philosophy and Religion. Is it ok not to know much about one of your topics if you study a course like that? I'm worried that I might have to end up doing just 3 A Levels due to the changes in September (and the removal of AS Level's), but I am worried about not "knowing" the content. I do take the time to learn about those 3 disciplines in my own time, but I am still worried.
Original post by JackEDeakin
Thank you!

I found a great course at UOB that I have fell in love with - Politics, Philosophy and Religion. Is it ok not to know much about one of your topics if you study a course like that? I'm worried that I might have to end up doing just 3 A Levels due to the changes in September (and the removal of AS Level's), but I am worried about not "knowing" the content. I do take the time to learn about those 3 disciplines in my own time, but I am still worried.

Yeah its fine not to know much about 1 of them- first year usually starts pretty much from scratch anyway (at least in my experience). Obviously if you can do reading before hand and teach yourself a bit that would help you but by no means is it essential.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry but that is totally wrong. You don't need Politics A-Level to study Politics at Uni, not all schools and colleges offer it and its easy to pick up at degree level- you don't need prior knowledge to understand it.
Original post by jelly1000
Sorry but that is totally wrong. You don't need Politics A-Level to study Politics at Uni, not all schools and colleges offer it and its easy to pick up at degree level- you don't need prior knowledge to understand it.

That's fine, I wasn't fully sure about this. Still, doing government and politics at A level has got to have its advantages though.
That's fine, I wasn't fully sure about this. Still, doing government and politics at A level has got to have its advantages though.

For context, I took Politics A-Level and studied International Relations at uni, which included some Politics modules. It helped a tiny bit in terms of knowing the basics, however even when you already know something, at uni you still have to read up on it so you can reference it and writing style required for Politics essays at uni is totally different to the much shorter answers required for Politics A-Level.

this is not true. there's not a single university in the uk that says you have to have government and politics at a level. not even cambridge or oxford.

Quick Reply