The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Are my GCSE grades okay for Edinburgh?

Hi, I'm year 13 (North of Ireland so equivalent to yr 12 in England etc I think) and doing AS in History, English lit, French and Maths. I'll probably drop maths next year and want to apply to do either law or history at Edinburgh. It says for both of those courses that a set of A* GCSE grades are important, do you think I'll be okay with my grade of 5 A*'s , 3As and 2bs? Thanks!!
Yes. Those GCSE's are good results and you should be proud. You will probably be in the 65-70th percentile of all Edinburgh offer holders for those courses, bearing in mind there will be people with 2/3 A*s and 9/10 A*s on the courses. Focus on getting AAAA-AABB in your AS results (if they count) and an A*AA prediction and you'll be fine.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
Yes. Those GCSE's are good results and you should be proud. You will probably be in the 65-70th percentile of all Edinburgh offer holders for those courses, bearing in mind there will be people with 2/3 A*s and 9/10 A*s on the courses. Focus on getting AAAA-AABB in your AS results (if they count) and an A*AA prediction and you'll be fine.

That's reassuring to hear, thanks a lot!!
Original post by gkelly570
Hi, I'm year 13 (North of Ireland so equivalent to yr 12 in England etc I think) and doing AS in History, English lit, French and Maths. I'll probably drop maths next year and want to apply to do either law or history at Edinburgh. It says for both of those courses that a set of A* GCSE grades are important, do you think I'll be okay with my grade of 5 A*'s , 3As and 2bs? Thanks!!

I've firmed Edinburgh for History of Art and they accepted me with 2 A*s, 5 As and a B.... so you should be fine! :lol:

Quick Reply