The Student Room Group

Why is being a feminist considered to be so bad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thermometer
already addressed the fact that "free the nipple" is literally 0.001% of feminism.

as for the parental leave issue...
seriously, the woman is the one who carried the baby inside her for 9 months and has to endure all the horrific changes to her body during and after pregnancy. I do support men and women having the same amount of parental leave, but I don't think the current situation is unreasonable either. the father did not have to carry the child and work whilst doing so :colonhash:

Have never thought about it that way, but good point!

I would just like to raise the issue of lad culture, and while it is horribly damaging towards women, in this context, I think it is important to highlight the damage towards men and young boys. Lad culture is a contributing factor for the rise in male suicides because it damages a mans emotional capabilities to open up. It is also inherently exclusive for only straight men and the whole culture excludes LGBTIQA+ men. This is also an issue that feminists campaign on.
Original post by JackEDeakin
There is a rape culture.

I can't tell you the amount of times I've heard the phrase "she deserves to get raped". When people ask what woman was wearing, that is part of a rape culture. The pay gap is real, women literally earn less per hour and are in less executive positions.

That's something that really disgusts me, when people try to turn it around so it looks like it was someone's fault that they were raped. People are allowed to dress the way they want. They could be out completely naked and that is not a sign that they were wanting to be raped...
Reply 42
How can you be so misogynistic as to suggest that freeing the nipple isn't an important subject. You talk about it and disregard it like it is nothing. You are proving to us WHY we need feminism.

I hear about it all the time, just because you choose not to listen to it or look for it, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Also you talk about only women putting up a fight over the fact they get more parental leave, but it is literally MEN who have imposed this on them because it is MEN who have forced women to reside in stay at home roles in history which is why their parental leave is so much higher, not to mention the fact that when men fight against the unfair parental leave rights, that is an act of feminism also. It is actually sexist towards women that they do get more parental leave because it is suggesting their roles are in the home.

And someone made a good point - you seem to assume that women everywhere have the same rights?

I am talking about feminism in the west in some countries they need something similar to 1st and 2nd wave feminism.

Are you trolling?

There are much more important issues to tackle like the fact that females are outperforming makes in school, teachers marking girls up and boys down and a 60/40 split at university, women getting much more lenient punishments in courts and how family courts are run.
Original post by joecphillips
When was the last time they did something about that? Obviously in some countries it is needed.
I am talking about the western world what rights do they have that men don't?
In the western world they have spent more time trying to free the nipple and destroy free speech

Not all feminists are campaigning for the nipple to be freed,many are fighting for real issues that will actually create an impact and better the lives of women in countries where they face systematic and social discrimination. I agree with you that some 3rd wave feminists don't care about the important stuff,and do come across as misandrist, but it's frustrating to see people letting that corrupt what feminism actually is.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
saying you are a feminist implies belief that all females are oppressed by all males across the world, and that this is achieved by an ill-defined "patriarchy"; it implies that you believe in a rape culture, and that you believe we "objectify" women in the West. To some extent it implies a belief in white male "privilege".
Intersectional feminism is perhaps my least favourite part of the movement. It tells people who aren't white or male that they are inherently disadvantaged by the system, without evidence or even any reasonable attempt at some sort of nebulous justification.

I don't think I've ever read such nonsense in my lifetime. :frown:
1) where did you get the "all females are oppressed by all males across the world"? I doubt anyone has ever said that.
2) rape culture is absolutely real. it is not prevalent in every corner and community of the world, but you can see it simply by frequenting the news (BBC) and social media.
3) please don't tell me you don't believe in white male privilege. especially in the west.
4) non-white-males, for example women of colour, ARE indeed disadvantaged. no, not in every single person's case. as with anything, there are plenty of exceptions. I am not implying that every non-white-male is going to be in a position inferior to every white male. but, "without evidence"? is the suffering of black people in 1st AND 3rd world countries not evidence enough for you? the inexplicable disappearances and murders of black and trans folk? what more evidence could you possibly want.
Original post by cookiemonster15
That's something that really disgusts me, when people try to turn it around so it looks like it was someone's fault that they were raped. People are allowed to dress the way they want. They could be out completely naked and that is not a sign that they were wanting to be raped...

This thread has actually riled me, the attitudes coming from the anti-feminists here upset me. I just don't understand how someone can NOT oppose that kind of behaviour?

JOECPHILIPS:

"When was the last time feminists talked about how females outnumber males in universities?
When was the last time feminists talked about the courts being more lenient on them?
When was the last time they talked about the preferential treatment they get in family courts?
When was the last time they talked about the lack of funding for male domestic abuse resources?"

We talk about these subjects all the time, but I think you look too widely on them. Maybe females outnumber males in universities, yet there is a male dominance in universities where women are sexual abuse and rape targets in lad culture cults.

Stop using "feminists" to describe women, feminists are men and women. And that is simply NOT true.

Again, you seem to be describing feminists as just women. Why should women not get preferential treatment in family courts when they have bore the child - it never is "unfair". Sometimes it is questionable and maybe it isn't ideal, but it isn't necessarily preferential.

The lack of funding for male domestic abuse resources boils down to sexism towards women, because apparently men are not "supposed" to get raped, and if they do then they are pushed not to talk about their issue due to the damaging lad culture which would paint them as "weak, girly and emotionally unstable." As a victim of rape my self, I think I can talk about this with some qualification on the subject as a male victim.
When was the last time feminists talked about how females outnumber males in universities?

feminists don't have to talk about females outnumbering males in universities because feminism focuses on women's problems. hence 'feminism'
When was the last time feminists talked about the courts being more lenient on them?
they aren't going to express disapproval for something they indirectly want.
When was the last time they talked about the preferential treatment they get in family courts?

Refer to second point
When was the last time they talked about the lack of funding for male domestic abuse resources?

Refer to first point.

download.jpg

feminism is laughable.
Reply 47
Original post by childofthesun
Not all feminists are campaigning for the nipple to be freed,many are fighting for real issues that will actually create an impact and better the lives of women in countries where they face systematic and social discrimination. I agree with you that some 3rd wave feminists don't care about the important stuff,and do come across as misandrist, but it's frustrating to see people letting that corrupt what feminism actually is.

I know that feminism is supposed to be about equality and people say it still is but to me I believe that feminism has moved on in the 3rd wave beyond that and that is what is given feminism a bad name and because of that I can't see it as being for true equality.
When was the last time feminists talked about how females outnumber males in universities?
When was the last time they talked about the lack of funding for male domestic abuse resources?

not sure which feminists you are getting this from but a quick follow of a good few feminists on twitter for example should reveal to you that most of us ramble on non stop about both male and female abuse survivors, rape of all forms (male-male, male-female, female-male, female-female and anything else), a recent BBC news article also announced funding for a new men's shelter for domestic abuse victims because it realised that male victims were wrongfully being under-recognised.
courts are not necessarily more lenient on women, as indicated by the recent Kesha case despite actual inappropriate tweets from Dr Luke's own twitter account suggesting that he is guilty.
Reply 49
not sure which feminists you are getting this from but a quick follow of a good few feminists on twitter for example should reveal to you that most of us ramble on non stop about both male and female abuse survivors, rape of all forms (male-male, male-female, female-male, female-female and anything else), a recent BBC news article also announced funding for a new men's shelter for domestic abuse victims because it realised that male victims were wrongfully being under-recognised.
courts are not necessarily more lenient on women, as indicated by the recent Kesha case despite actual inappropriate tweets from Dr Luke's own twitter account suggesting that he is guilty.

There is 1 shelter for men how many for women?
The kesha case was correctly decided. Why do you think it wasn't and please provide actual evidence not emotional arguments most people have provided.
I know that feminism is supposed to be about equality and people say it still is but to me I believe that feminism has moved on in the 3rd wave beyond that and that is what is given feminism a bad name and because of that I can't see it as being for true equality.

I entirely understand your reasons for not seeing feminism as a move for equality. but you're essentially letting a group of misandrists/extremists distort your view on a whole movement that consists of more than just those extremists.
that's like if I saw a group of dogs mauling someone and decided that dogs are inherently violent and evil.
just because some women hate men or rarely talk about issues that "matter" does not render feminism an invalid idea. similarly, a lot of men hate women but that does not mean there aren't any who respect women.
I sound like the typical "not-all-men" type person now :rofl: but I hope I'm getting the point across.

So you are just going to generalise all feminists on something only a minority of people who claim to be feminists have said?
Reply 52
This thread has actually riled me, the attitudes coming from the anti-feminists here upset me. I just don't understand how someone can NOT oppose that kind of behaviour?

JOECPHILIPS:

"When was the last time feminists talked about how females outnumber males in universities?
When was the last time they talked about the lack of funding for male domestic abuse resources?"

We talk about these subjects all the time, but I think you look too widely on them. Maybe females outnumber males in universities, yet there is a male dominance in universities where women are sexual abuse and rape targets in lad culture cults.

Stop using "feminists" to describe women, feminists are men and women. And that is simply NOT true.

Again, you seem to be describing feminists as just women. Why should women not get preferential treatment in family courts when they have bore the child - it never is "unfair". Sometimes it is questionable and maybe it isn't ideal, but it isn't necessarily preferential.

The lack of funding for male domestic abuse resources boils down to sexism towards women, because apparently men are not "supposed" to get raped, and if they do then they are pushed not to talk about their issue due to the damaging lad culture which would paint them as "weak, girly and emotionally unstable." As a victim of rape my self, I think I can talk about this with some qualification on the subject as a male victim.

Your argument is basically
Men are scum
We deserve preferential treatment
Men's issues are really just showing how bad the patriarchy is to women.

Feminists love to say such and such field is not 50-50 yet ignore female dominated fields.

Ok sorry women get preferential treatment based on sentences in court.

That is wrong so because I am make I deserve less rights when it comes to any future children, this shows you do not want equality.

No it shows that male domestic abuse is not taken seriously and it is underfunded
Reply 53
So you are just going to generalise all feminists on something only a minority of people who claim to be feminists have said?

As I have said that is how I see feminism, based on what I have seen if other feminists who view things differently want to show what they are about they have to fight for the label back
There is 1 shelter for men how many for women?
The kesha case was correctly decided. Why do you think it wasn't and please provide actual evidence not emotional arguments most people have provided.

whoa I said they're developing a new men's shelter, I didn't say it was the first in the world :lol: believe it or not, the world consists of more than just whatever city you live in.

here's a link to Dr Luke's tweet. he's deleted some other ones but, when people responded with disgust to this tweet, he also said something along the lines of "I bet you wish it was you".

https://twitter.com/TheDoctorLuke/status/8651830104

what exactly is your evidence for believing the case was correctly decided lmao? if there is no concrete evidence for him being guilty or innocent, then the case shouldn't have gone either way.
Reply 55
I entirely understand your reasons for not seeing feminism as a move for equality. but you're essentially letting a group of misandrists/extremists distort your view on a whole movement that consists of more than just those extremists.
that's like if I saw a group of dogs mauling someone and decided that dogs are inherently violent and evil.
just because some women hate men or rarely talk about issues that "matter" does not render feminism an invalid idea. similarly, a lot of men hate women but that does not mean there aren't any who respect women.
I sound like the typical "not-all-men" type person now :rofl: but I hope I'm getting the point across.

I do understand your point but from what I have seen there are more 'feminists' who say those things than who want equality and that is why I see the label feminist as somethings] different to you
As I have said that is how I see feminism, based on what I have seen if other feminists who view things differently want to show what they are about they have to fight for the label back

in other words: you are completely, in the most ignorant way possible, GENERALISING.:colonhash:
how would you like it if I saw all men as rapists just because I saw a few men who were guilty of rape? I thought that was the kind of thing you were passionately against...
#notallmen

So why is it overblowing and made to be seen as if it is the worst thing anyone could be? What is so bad about wanting to have equal rights for males and females?

Any Thoughts?

Well in the western world, women have got equal rights as women, dont give anyone rubbish that women dont. There are few isolated cases but that isn't a reflection of society as a whole. Really there are women in other countries such as Saudi Arabia where womens rights are a joke. If you're gonna publically say you're a 'feminist' then go do something to help them instead of making false statements such as 'equal rights for males and females' because truth is, it already exists.
Reply 58
I don't think I've ever read such nonsense in my lifetime. :frown:
1) where did you get the "all females are oppressed by all males across the world"? I doubt anyone has ever said that.
2) rape culture is absolutely real. it is not prevalent in every corner and community of the world, but you can see it simply by frequenting the news (BBC) and social media.
3) please don't tell me you don't believe in white male privilege. especially in the west.
4) non-white-males, for example women of colour, ARE indeed disadvantaged. no, not in every single person's case. as with anything, there are plenty of exceptions. I am not implying that every non-white-male is going to be in a position inferior to every white male. but, "without evidence"? is the suffering of black people in 1st AND 3rd world countries not evidence enough for you? the inexplicable disappearances and murders of black and trans folk? what more evidence could you possibly want.

1) This is how "patriarchy" works, is it not? Forgive me; as I have noted, it is very loosely defined.
2) Then what, precisely, is it, and how is it demonstrated in such spheres? Victim blaming happens, but I don't see how it is systemic. And from what I have seen on social media, in cases of rape accusations, the predominate "culture" is one of immediately believing the woman and not victim-blaming at all. Immediate distrust/accusations of lying are obviously not a good alternative, but I happen to believe that people should reserve judgement when not given concrete evidence.
3) I don't believe in white male privilege. Make me believe in it, by giving me objective evidence. I have a very open mind.
4) Well how about the fact that white working class males are the worst performing group in education in the UK, and the most disliked/distrusted by the general public (this from a survey if I recall correctly, I could try to dig it up if needs be..) ? And that males have the highest rates of suicide? I just dislike this "oppression olympics" as people call it. Yes, black people suffer, but how do you know they suffer worse than white people (in the West, that is)? (I would not argue that people in the first world aren't privileged relative to those in the 3rd world...for me "privilege" can only come from greater social class, and the quality of life where you happen to live - and this makes sense given that these things give objective benefits).
Reply 59
whoa I said they're developing a new men's shelter, I didn't say it was the first in the world :lol: believe it or not, the world consists of more than just whatever city you live in.

here's a link to Dr Luke's tweet. he's deleted some other ones but, when people responded with disgust to this tweet, he also said something along the lines of "I bet you wish it was you".

https://twitter.com/TheDoctorLuke/status/8651830104

what exactly is your evidence for believing the case was correctly decided lmao? if there is no concrete evidence for him being guilty or innocent, then the case shouldn't have gone either way.

My reason for believing it was correctly decided comes from the fact that there is no actual evidence he did it and the courts operate on innocent until proven guilty as well as the fact that there is absolutely no precedent set saying that allegations can end a contract.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending