The Student Room Group

GCSE Choice Crisis

So I have to pick to my GCSE options soon and I've had several mental breakdowns over it in the couple days of being given my options. We have to do a language and I'm not sure whether to do French or Latin, I sort of want to do Latin but I've heard that it's very hard in GCSEs and it'd probably be safer for me to just do French.
Now this is my real problem; I'd like to think I'm a creative person and I want to do Music, Drama and Art. We're only given three options and if I choose those they'll fill up my slots. I know for certain that I'm doing music because I'm very experienced in it. Drama would be my second best subject (music being first) so I would like to do it, but then there's art...
I'm average at art, I'm not bad but I'm not great. I would like to do art as a GCSE but I'm not sure if I'm capable enough to do it. I've seen A* GCSE art and my god that is beyond my level. I've heard people say that it is one of their most worst decisions to do art because of how stressful and time consuming it is but on the other hand I've heard of people saying that it's not that bad and I just don't know what to do!
And on top of all of this, my parents think I should scrap drama or art or both and just do ICT or Computer Science because ''It is very important and you can fall back on it''. I see the logic and have been considering that maybe I should do ICT instead of Art in case I do need something to fall back on. But the thing is, I'm not that good at ICT and find it quite boring and I don't whether I should just do ICT making my parents happy, apparently getting an easy A or A* (apparently it's quite easy) and having something to fall back on, but that means going through months of boring work and possibly regretting that I didn't do Art. But if I do Art I'm scared that I might not live up to what I expected and fail dismally regretting that I didn't listen to my parents and went the easy route.
My friend who's doing GCSE art told me that there was a person in her class that was really bad at art but eventually was able to get to grips and become decent enough. Also there are so many jobs you can do with Art but I'm scared that if I don't do art I'll not be able to get a particular job because I didn't do GCSE Art.
Honestly, I'm not sure what to do. I'll be very grateful if there's anyone out there to reply and give advice. Thank you reading through all this. <3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redpandajason
So I have to pick to my GCSE options soon and I've had several mental breakdowns over it in the couple days of being given my options. We have to do a language and I'm not sure whether to do French or Latin, I sort of want to do Latin but I've heard that it's very hard in GCSEs and it'd probably be safer for me to just do French.
Now this is my real problem; I'd like to think I'm a creative person and I want to do Music, Drama and Art. We're only given three options and if I choose those they'll fill up my slots. I know for certain that I'm doing music because I'm very experienced in it. Drama would be my second best subject (music being first) so I would like to do it, but then there's art...
I'm average at art, I'm not bad but I'm not great. I would like to do art as a GCSE but I'm not sure if I'm capable enough to do it. I've seen A* GCSE art and my god that is beyond my level. I've heard people say that it is one of their most worst decisions to do art because of how stressful and time consuming it is but on the other hand I've heard of people saying that it's not that bad and I just don't know what to do!
And on top of all of this, my parents think I should scrap drama or art or both and just do ICT or Computer Science because ''It is very important and you can fall back on it''. I see the logic and have been considering that maybe I should do ICT instead of Art in case I do need something to fall back on. But the thing is, I'm not that good at ICT and find it quite boring and I don't whether I should just do ICT making my parents happy, apparently getting an easy A or A* (apparently it's quite easy) and having something to fall back on, but that means going through months of boring work and possibly regretting that I didn't do Art. But if I do Art I'm scared that I might not live up to what I expected and fail dismally regretting that I didn't listen to my parents and went the easy route.
My friend who's doing GCSE art told me that there was a person in her class that was really bad at art but eventually was able to get to grips and become decent enough. Also there are so many jobs you can do with Art but I'm scared that if I don't do art I'll not be able to get a particular job because I didn't do GCSE Art.
Honestly, I'm not sure what to do. I'll be very grateful if there's anyone out there to reply and give advice. Thank you reading through all this. <3

Hi,am in the same crisis as you.I know how difficult it is to decide(especially between Geo and His).I would advise you to take something you enjoy and something you get the best levels in.If your parents ask why didn't you pick ICT then just say:"They said the subject places filled up."You should look at past papers and see which one your best at and capable of doing........Hope this helped:smile:
Thanks it's good advice! The only problem is that my parents know all the insides and outs of the choices
Original post by tamil fever
Hi,am in the same crisis as you.I know how difficult it is to decide(especially between Geo and His).I would advise you to take something you enjoy and something you get the best levels in.If your parents ask why didn't you pick ICT then just say:"They said the subject places filled up."You should look at past papers and see which one your best at and capable of doing........Hope this helped:smile:
Thanks it's good advice! The only problem is that my parents know all the insides and outs of the choices

oh.ok.But if you think about it,you're the one that's going to learn the subject for 2 years and sit the exams.Maybe if you explain to them that the subject is harder and persuade them that you will get over a 7 for all your GCSE's,they might agree with you and let you do the subjects you want.You should do the subject your best at, as you have a higher chance of getting a better grade.Anyway you shouldn't worry about the subjects your taking in GCSE because the subjects you choose for A Levels are the most important.I would say"follow your heart and choose what you love/enjoy"....:smile::smile::smile:
thank you this has actually been great advice!
Original post by tamil fever
oh.ok.But if you think about it,you're the one that's going to learn the subject for 2 years and sit the exams.Maybe if you explain to them that the subject is harder and persuade them that you will get over a 7 for all your GCSE's,they might agree with you and let you do the subjects you want.You should do the subject your best at, as you have a higher chance of getting a better grade.Anyway you shouldn't worry about the subjects your taking in GCSE because the subjects you choose for A Levels are the most important.I would say"follow your heart and choose what you love/enjoy"....:smile::smile::smile:
Reply 5

I did both art and ICT at GCSE and i got an A in both, honestly art isn't hard but it is very time consuming, in year 11 id say i spent around 30 or so hours if not more of my own time doing course work and my exam book, however its enjoyable, your free to experience with a lot of different things and you get to find a style you are really good at, which is why it doesn't matter if you're not amazing at everything, chances are you'll find something you're good at and you will be able to do that style for your exam, i really loved taking art for GCSE and honestly really enjoyed it, however a lot of people in my class took it because they shout it would be a 'doss' lesson and thought they wouldn't have to do anything, well they failed. As long as you're prepared to work hard and hive up some of you're own time you're going to be just fine.
As for ICT it was required of everyone at my school to take it, it honestly was probably the most boring class ever and the exam was pretty hard also, i got the highest grade in the class but my teacher messed up teaching the course several time so towards the end of the year we had to do some units in one day, this resulted in me having to do huge amounts of work on my own outside of school, a lot of people also messed around in ICT and it was quite hard to work however its not too bad, i found art easier but that just me.

Your GCSE choices won't directly affect the job you do, they affect what subjects you can take in year 12 and 13 for your a levels, so if you don't do art at GCSE you won't be able to do it in year 12 and 13 same goes for ICT, however i would say that you're taking a lot of 'creative' subjects, so i would say don't take all 3 music art and drama, try to take a less creative subject where you can really show and practise your ability to retain and apply information so subjects like geography french business history and so on will be good for this.
hope this helps !! don't stress too much its not as big of a deal as your school is making it out to be just make sure you like the subjects you're taking!
Reply 6
Sorry I only skimmed over, but please just pick what you think you will be happy with - regardless of what your parents think.

And just because something's a bit harder, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it? I know many people put down Latin as being hard and unnecessary, but if it's something you'll enjoy then please go for it :smile:
thanks, I do think that I'd be determined to try my best at art but I that's another problem I have is that if I chose all three of the creative subjects I'll be closing doors for myslef. Thank you very much for the advice!
Original post by alea.bro
I did both art and ICT at GCSE and i got an A in both, honestly art isn't hard but it is very time consuming, in year 11 id say i spent around 30 or so hours if not more of my own time doing course work and my exam book, however its enjoyable, your free to experience with a lot of different things and you get to find a style you are really good at, which is why it doesn't matter if you're not amazing at everything, chances are you'll find something you're good at and you will be able to do that style for your exam, i really loved taking art for GCSE and honestly really enjoyed it, however a lot of people in my class took it because they shout it would be a 'doss' lesson and thought they wouldn't have to do anything, well they failed. As long as you're prepared to work hard and hive up some of you're own time you're going to be just fine.
As for ICT it was required of everyone at my school to take it, it honestly was probably the most boring class ever and the exam was pretty hard also, i got the highest grade in the class but my teacher messed up teaching the course several time so towards the end of the year we had to do some units in one day, this resulted in me having to do huge amounts of work on my own outside of school, a lot of people also messed around in ICT and it was quite hard to work however its not too bad, i found art easier but that just me.

Your GCSE choices won't directly affect the job you do, they affect what subjects you can take in year 12 and 13 for your a levels, so if you don't do art at GCSE you won't be able to do it in year 12 and 13 same goes for ICT, however i would say that you're taking a lot of 'creative' subjects, so i would say don't take all 3 music art and drama, try to take a less creative subject where you can really show and practise your ability to retain and apply information so subjects like geography french business history and so on will be good for this.
hope this helps !! don't stress too much its not as big of a deal as your school is making it out to be just make sure you like the subjects you're taking!
thanks, sometimes I feel I get told to do the subjects that'll benefit me rather than the subjects I like, thank you ^-^
Original post by Inexorably
Sorry I only skimmed over, but please just pick what you think you will be happy with - regardless of what your parents think.

And just because something's a bit harder, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it? I know many people put down Latin as being hard and unnecessary, but if it's something you'll enjoy then please go for it :smile:
First of all, chill. Secondly, it's pretty pointless asking here, as people don't know you. But I'll try to help: why not do Geo instead - it's probably the easiest A* or even why not take business studies (requires only common sense) or even history?
Reply 10
As much as I'd like to advise you to just pick the thing you enjoy, honestly, although that is a major factor in subject choice, it isn't as simple as that and shouldn't only be based on that.
I know it's early days still, and it's very difficult to have an idea of where you're headed in life, but you have to consider how your subject choice now will affect your subject choice come AS Level. Not only should you consider how not taking a subject at GCSE may prevent you from taking it at AS Level, but bear in mind that just because you like a subject or subject area now, doesn't necessarily mean that you'll like it in 2 years time. And heed your parents advice!
For example: I hated maths when I was your age. It was my worst subject (although admittedly still decent, low A). But my parents pretty much forced me to do further maths GCSE, and I hated them for it at the time, but now I'm taking Maths and Further Maths AS Level, hope to continue both to A level, and aspire to do Mathematics at university (possibly Oxford). A lot can change in 2 years.
I'd probably take your parents advice in doing a subject outside of the creative arts - Idk if you have any experience with compsci at all or if you think you'd like it, so many you'd want to consider a different subject who knows, but your parents are right in that it's a good backup plan as compsci is becoming/already is a major thing.
thanks, sometimes I feel I get told to do the subjects that'll benefit me rather than the subjects I like, thank you ^-^

Do you have any idea of your future career goals or what you'd like to do in college/apprenticeship?
I've been tunneling in the corners of the internet for GCSE option advice and there wasn't much I found so I decided to just post here to see if there'd be any replies. I don't really think I'll be doing Grography although I have considered History, I'm at the same level at Geography and History but I think I find History more interesting and enjoy it more so I'll give it a consideration.
Original post by 1jonam16
First of all, chill. Secondly, it's pretty pointless asking here, as people don't know you. But I'll try to help: why not do Geo instead - it's probably the easiest A* or even why not take business studies (requires only common sense) or even history?
thanks, I think it is a good idea that I do keep an open mind on subjects, thank you for the comment of a more different perspective :smile:
Original post by Xsk
As much as I'd like to advise you to just pick the thing you enjoy, honestly, although that is a major factor in subject choice, it isn't as simple as that and shouldn't only be based on that.
I know it's early days still, and it's very difficult to have an idea of where you're headed in life, but you have to consider how your subject choice now will affect your subject choice come AS Level. Not only should you consider how not taking a subject at GCSE may prevent you from taking it at AS Level, but bear in mind that just because you like a subject or subject area now, doesn't necessarily mean that you'll like it in 2 years time. And heed your parents advice!
For example: I hated maths when I was your age. It was my worst subject (although admittedly still decent, low A). But my parents pretty much forced me to do further maths GCSE, and I hated them for it at the time, but now I'm taking Maths and Further Maths AS Level, hope to continue both to A level, and aspire to do Mathematics at university (possibly Oxford). A lot can change in 2 years.
I'd probably take your parents advice in doing a subject outside of the creative arts - Idk if you have any experience with compsci at all or if you think you'd like it, so many you'd want to consider a different subject who knows, but your parents are right in that it's a good backup plan as compsci is becoming/already is a major thing.
I would like to do something in music or something related to the arts I'm not sure tbh
Do you have any idea of your future career goals or what you'd like to do in college/apprenticeship?
I would like to do something in music or something related to the arts I'm not sure tbh

Ah okay, well if that's your passion then stick to it regardless of how risky it is :smile:
thank you for the encouragement ^-^
Ah okay, well if that's your passion then stick to it regardless of how risky it is :smile:
I wouldn't recommend ICT at all. GCSE IT doesn't mean much to universities or employers. You can prove that you're competent on a computer without the qualification. My college said I needed a level 2 IT qualification and everyone has ignored it since.

I wouldn't sacrifice the subjects you love at all. I particularly support drama. I think it's a great outlet for when you're in the middle of your exams, and feeds into English. I started GCSE art but switched to another subject because it was double art and I didn't want to do all the clay sculptures. It's basically all coursework but you don't have to be incredible to do it. You can learn techniques as you go and there's no harm in having one GCSE where you're not sure of getting the highest grade ever.

I was reading this article earlier today: http://www.vasta.org/november-2015#art10. I think it applies to music as well as theatre.
thanks I actually find this in particular comment for some reason makes me feel more at ease, thank you very much :smile:
Original post by mscaffrey
I wouldn't recommend ICT at all. GCSE IT doesn't mean much to universities or employers. You can prove that you're competent on a computer without the qualification. My college said I needed a level 2 IT qualification and everyone has ignored it since.

I wouldn't sacrifice the subjects you love at all. I particularly support drama. I think it's a great outlet for when you're in the middle of your exams, and feeds into English. I started GCSE art but switched to another subject because it was double art and I didn't want to do all the clay sculptures. It's basically all coursework but you don't have to be incredible to do it. You can learn techniques as you go and there's no harm in having one GCSE where you're not sure of getting the highest grade ever.

Quick Reply

Latest