The Student Room Group

GCSE Choice Crisis

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mscaffrey
I was reading this article earlier today: http://www.vasta.org/november-2015#art10. I think it applies to music as well as theatre.

Certainly an interesting and thoughtful read :smile:
Reply 21
@redpandajason Hi! I'm currently doing my GCSEs so hopefully can be of some help. I have never studied Latin but I take French. I am hopeless at the language but have got full marks in the first 45% of the GCSE, and am hopefully going to get full marks in my final speaking exam. 60% of the course is pretty much learning paragraphs off by heart (that your teacher will correct) and the other 40% is being able to figure out what words mean. A lot of the time French words are extremely similar to English ones so if you're good at English French will be fine. :smile:

I take both ICT and Art. If you use computers a lot, play a lot of games etc you will find ICT extremely easy. I'm only starting the theory now and it isn't too bad, but if you don't have an interest in computers I would strongly advise you not to take it. Coursework is 60% and getting full marks in all your coursework pieces won't be too hard if you're a regular computer user, otherwise it will be a struggle, as a lot of it is understanding software, not just following instructions.

Art is one of my better subjects but I hate it passionately. When I was your age I loved it but the workload is very, VERY large. However, if you work consistently throughout the course it is perfectly manageable. What I would say is that you need to be self-motivated and be prepared to spend entire weekends on it. Although I think it's an extremely hard subject it is very rewarding! Bear in mind some of the A* work you've seen has probably been completed at the end of the 2 years, and your skills will improve over time so don't let that put you off. You will learn a lot in 2 years. I'm working on my exam piece now and got an A* in my coursework so if you'd like to see the kind of standard I was producing at the start of year 10 send me a pm. :smile:

One final thing to think about - Music contains a lot of course work, so really consider if you have the time for both Art and Music coursework. If you're involved in sports teams etc. it might not be feasible to do both.

Sorry for the lengthy reply but good luck choosing! If you have any more questions just let me know and hopefully I'll be able to answer them! :biggrin:
Original post by redpandajason
So I have to pick to my GCSE options soon and I've had several mental breakdowns over it in the couple days of being given my options. We have to do a language and I'm not sure whether to do French or Latin, I sort of want to do Latin but I've heard that it's very hard in GCSEs and it'd probably be safer for me to just do French.
Now this is my real problem; I'd like to think I'm a creative person and I want to do Music, Drama and Art. We're only given three options and if I choose those they'll fill up my slots. I know for certain that I'm doing music because I'm very experienced in it. Drama would be my second best subject (music being first) so I would like to do it, but then there's art...
I'm average at art, I'm not bad but I'm not great. I would like to do art as a GCSE but I'm not sure if I'm capable enough to do it. I've seen A* GCSE art and my god that is beyond my level. I've heard people say that it is one of their most worst decisions to do art because of how stressful and time consuming it is but on the other hand I've heard of people saying that it's not that bad and I just don't know what to do!
And on top of all of this, my parents think I should scrap drama or art or both and just do ICT or Computer Science because ''It is very important and you can fall back on it''. I see the logic and have been considering that maybe I should do ICT instead of Art in case I do need something to fall back on. But the thing is, I'm not that good at ICT and find it quite boring and I don't whether I should just do ICT making my parents happy, apparently getting an easy A or A* (apparently it's quite easy) and having something to fall back on, but that means going through months of boring work and possibly regretting that I didn't do Art. But if I do Art I'm scared that I might not live up to what I expected and fail dismally regretting that I didn't listen to my parents and went the easy route.
My friend who's doing GCSE art told me that there was a person in her class that was really bad at art but eventually was able to get to grips and become decent enough. Also there are so many jobs you can do with Art but I'm scared that if I don't do art I'll not be able to get a particular job because I didn't do GCSE Art.
Honestly, I'm not sure what to do. I'll be very grateful if there's anyone out there to reply and give advice. Thank you reading through all this. <3

Do what you like and what you think is right... Seriously it shouldn't preoccupy too much time, they won't impact on what you want to do later in life.

The only option I can think of that really can impact on what you take for A Level is triple science which would be useful for doing an A Level in a science, but still not compulsory. Obvs pick subjects that relate to your career or that you want to do for A Level.
thank you for the advice ^-^ I just worry that my instincts may betray me
Original post by romansholiday
Do what you like and what you think is right... Seriously it shouldn't preoccupy too much time, they won't impact on what you want to do later in life.

The only option I can think of that really can impact on what you take for A Level is triple science which would be useful for doing an A Level in a science, but still not compulsory. Obvs pick subjects that relate to your career or that you want to do for A Level.
So I have to pick to my GCSE options soon and I've had several mental breakdowns over it in the couple days of being given my options. We have to do a language and I'm not sure whether to do French or Latin, I sort of want to do Latin but I've heard that it's very hard in GCSEs and it'd probably be safer for me to just do French.
Now this is my real problem; I'd like to think I'm a creative person and I want to do Music, Drama and Art. We're only given three options and if I choose those they'll fill up my slots. I know for certain that I'm doing music because I'm very experienced in it. Drama would be my second best subject (music being first) so I would like to do it, but then there's art...
I'm average at art, I'm not bad but I'm not great. I would like to do art as a GCSE but I'm not sure if I'm capable enough to do it. I've seen A* GCSE art and my god that is beyond my level. I've heard people say that it is one of their most worst decisions to do art because of how stressful and time consuming it is but on the other hand I've heard of people saying that it's not that bad and I just don't know what to do!
And on top of all of this, my parents think I should scrap drama or art or both and just do ICT or Computer Science because ''It is very important and you can fall back on it''. I see the logic and have been considering that maybe I should do ICT instead of Art in case I do need something to fall back on. But the thing is, I'm not that good at ICT and find it quite boring and I don't whether I should just do ICT making my parents happy, apparently getting an easy A or A* (apparently it's quite easy) and having something to fall back on, but that means going through months of boring work and possibly regretting that I didn't do Art. But if I do Art I'm scared that I might not live up to what I expected and fail dismally regretting that I didn't listen to my parents and went the easy route.
My friend who's doing GCSE art told me that there was a person in her class that was really bad at art but eventually was able to get to grips and become decent enough. Also there are so many jobs you can do with Art but I'm scared that if I don't do art I'll not be able to get a particular job because I didn't do GCSE Art.
Honestly, I'm not sure what to do. I'll be very grateful if there's anyone out there to reply and give advice. Thank you reading through all this. <3

Well my advice would be to take computer science or like geography/history if they provide them. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't take art since you will get a lot of coursework in music and drama. I've heard from my friends that they are made to write 1000 word essays in Drama, but since you have the passion for it, its perfect for you. But unnecessarily taking art can be a risk and you get a ton of art homework. Also I have heard that IT is a really easy subject but uni's don't care about it, and it's boring in my opinion. I would recommend you to take computing if your averagely good at maths and have a good memory because it's not that hard. Hope this helps, but don't take any more arts subjects :smile: (I also had a hard time struggling to select my options, as I have switched schools twice in year 10. My current school didn't provide the same subjects as my previous school so I had to try a new subject out which I don't know a thing about that is sociology. I have caught up slightly, but yeahh XD)
thank you for the advice ^-^ I just worry that my instincts may betray me

My sister is choosing at the moment and she is exactly the same! I have to choose my A Level choices now (well I've already chosen) and I'm so scared about doing Chemistry A Level:s-smilie:

If you really feel you've made the wrong choice, I remember my school allowed us to swap if we wanted to. One girl chose Geography and then she switched to History, and then she switched back to Geog, but now she is doing History (obvs I don't encourage this much swapping, but I'm just showing you how flexible they are in the first half term)
thanks for commenting and sorry for the late reply!! I do use a computer quite a bit but the ICT lessons I've taken I never had any interest in and didn't understand much of it. I am quite a bad procrastinator but if it's something I have interest in I do work quite hard on it and try my best. Thank you for the comment!

Original post by T0ucan
@redpandajason Hi! I'm currently doing my GCSEs so hopefully can be of some help. I have never studied Latin but I take French. I am hopeless at the language but have got full marks in the first 45% of the GCSE, and am hopefully going to get full marks in my final speaking exam. 60% of the course is pretty much learning paragraphs off by heart (that your teacher will correct) and the other 40% is being able to figure out what words mean. A lot of the time French words are extremely similar to English ones so if you're good at English French will be fine. :smile:

I take both ICT and Art. If you use computers a lot, play a lot of games etc you will find ICT extremely easy. I'm only starting the theory now and it isn't too bad, but if you don't have an interest in computers I would strongly advise you not to take it. Coursework is 60% and getting full marks in all your coursework pieces won't be too hard if you're a regular computer user, otherwise it will be a struggle, as a lot of it is understanding software, not just following instructions.

Art is one of my better subjects but I hate it passionately. When I was your age I loved it but the workload is very, VERY large. However, if you work consistently throughout the course it is perfectly manageable. What I would say is that you need to be self-motivated and be prepared to spend entire weekends on it. Although I think it's an extremely hard subject it is very rewarding! Bear in mind some of the A* work you've seen has probably been completed at the end of the 2 years, and your skills will improve over time so don't let that put you off. You will learn a lot in 2 years. I'm working on my exam piece now and got an A* in my coursework so if you'd like to see the kind of standard I was producing at the start of year 10 send me a pm. :smile:

One final thing to think about - Music contains a lot of course work, so really consider if you have the time for both Art and Music coursework. If you're involved in sports teams etc. it might not be feasible to do both.

Sorry for the lengthy reply but good luck choosing! If you have any more questions just let me know and hopefully I'll be able to answer them! :biggrin:
thanks for commenting and sorry for the late reply! I'm not sure if my school allows swapping but thanks for informing me about the freedom of changing. At least I know I'm not alone in this, I hope for the best for you and your sister!
Original post by romansholiday
My sister is choosing at the moment and she is exactly the same! I have to choose my A Level choices now (well I've already chosen) and I'm so scared about doing Chemistry A Level:s-smilie:

If you really feel you've made the wrong choice, I remember my school allowed us to swap if we wanted to. One girl chose Geography and then she switched to History, and then she switched back to Geog, but now she is doing History (obvs I don't encourage this much swapping, but I'm just showing you how flexible they are in the first half term)
Original post by randomperson11
Well my advice would be to take computer science or like geography/history if they provide them. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't take art since you will get a lot of coursework in music and drama. I've heard from my friends that they are made to write 1000 word essays in Drama, but since you have the passion for it, its perfect for you. But unnecessarily taking art can be a risk and you get a ton of art homework. Also I have heard that IT is a really easy subject but uni's don't care about it, and it's boring in my opinion. I would recommend you to take computing if your averagely good at maths and have a good memory because it's not that hard. Hope this helps, but don't take any more arts subjects :smile: (I also had a hard time struggling to select my options, as I have switched schools twice in year 10. My current school didn't provide the same subjects as my previous school so I had to try a new subject out which I don't know a thing about that is sociology. I have caught up slightly, but yeahh XD)

Thanks for commenting and sorry for the late reply! I've been considering history but still not sure about the whole thing ._. Thanks for the comment!
I did art and double ICT. Don't do ICT: there's no point and it's extremely frustrating and time consuming. Computing might be good but I haven't done any formal study in it so can't really talk about the GCSE.
Art is pretty easy. I can't draw or paint or anything and managed to get a B.
GCSE Level ICT/Computing/Computer Science doesn't really mean much within the eyes of Uni and employers, depending on the route you want to take.
I personally study Computing for GCSE, not because I want it to be attractive to anyone, but simply because I enjoy it.

Think about your career preferences and where you want to go after education, look into the qualifications needed for jobs, then the A-Levels and potentially the GCSES required to enter into them.
Do it for you, the next 2-3years you have will be studying those subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest