The Student Room Group

Pros and Cons of the EU

I've tried to be as unbiased as possible so please see many of the pros and cons of Brexit so you can make up a more informed decision.

Facts·
- Over 3 million EU-born people live in UK.
- Between 2010 and 2015 non-EU immigration fell 8% while EU immigration increased 51%.
- 1.3 million UK citizens living elsewhere in Europe.·
- Each of the last 15 years Britain has run a trade deficit with the EU. 5 of these years Britain ran a trade surplus with countries outside of EU.
- Only had a positive budgetary balance once with the EU in 2000, every other year we put more in that we got back.
- Number of EU claimants of welfare has increased by 46% since 2010 whereas UK claimants fell 12%, and non-EU fell 1%.
- 3.4 million Jobs are linked to trade with the EU.
- Over 45% of our exports are with the EU.

Pros of EU and staying in:
Immigration:
- British people are free to work anywhere in the EU.
- Access to a large pool of labour to fill gaps inskill shortages.

Trade:
- Free trade with the largest market in the world.
- Exports are more competitive within the EU due to zero tariffs and quotas.

Economy:
- UK could lose up to 2.2% of GDP by 2030 in the case of a Brexit (prediction)
- Could lose investment especially in the run upto the referendum due to uncertainty
- Britain could be seen as less attractive, especially if we can’t negotiate a FTA with the EU. ·

Regulation:
- EU law protects worker’s rights.
- Ensures basic safety standards for products sold.

National Security:
- Greater levels of co-operation on issues such as crime, terrorism and War.
- Leaving could weaken relationship with the US.

Cons of EU and staying in:
Immigration:
- Greater control over our borders
- Only let in those we want and need
- Have a more manageable number reducing pressure on services

Trade:
- The EU is a declining market with most of the larger economies in long term decline. The UK however is growing at the fastestrate of any major European economy.
- Can be difficult to trade with countries outside the EU as we can’t set up our own trade agreements. The growth in the future will come from trade outside the EU and so leaving puts us in a better positon to develop links with the most desirable trading partners.

Economy:
- UK gains 1.6% in GDP by 2030, most likely is a FTA is agreed with the EU (prediction)
- UK may become an even safer haven in the case of an EU in collapse or continued decline. ·

Regulation:
- Less red tape especially on small to medium sized firms.
- Freer market that would boost the UK as a finance hub.
- No CAP restrictions.

Sovereignty:
- Complete control over own legislation.
- British courts are some of the most established,least corrupt and liberal in the world and so its unlikely workers’ rights and rights of the citizens would be weakened by an exit.

National Security:
- We are a member of NATO and the UN Security council which are much more militarily important than the EU.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sebby491

- Over 3 million EU-born people live in UK.

Considering that the UK is in the EU I think there is a little more the 3 million.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Give him a break. All the effort and research that went into his post and that's your response?
Original post by caravaggio2
Give him a break. All the effort and research that went into his post and that's your response?

If the very first fact is wrong then it needs to be called out. I didn't read the rest.
Democracy and sovereignty are the key issues for me. Therefore I will be voting out. I have always opposed the ideas of political unions on this scale. With the multitude of cultures, borders, political stances, industries, economies and social beliefs, the EU is too vast to work for everybody. There will always be winners and losers. It can't work unless all the countries are similar. The fact is many of us are completely different to one another. Take the UK and Greece- mirror images of one another. Different industries, different cultures, different political motivations, it goes on...
Reply 5
Original post by DiddyDec
If the very first fact is wrong then it needs to be called out. I didn't read the rest.

Not incorrect at all. I said over 3 million which is true, read.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending