The Student Room Group

If Donald Trump wins the US Presidency

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arsenal96
I was joking. But honestly between Clinton and trump I think she would edge it, even though republicans hold most seats in the lower houses and senate.

Clinton is a very weak candidate, with a lot of areas to attack her on, she may even end up in prison in the near future. Trump has the ability to bring the holly grail of voters to the election, the non-voters.
Original post by The_Opinion
Clinton is a very weak candidate, with a lot of areas to attack her on, she may even end up in prison in the near future. Trump has the ability to bring the holly grail of voters to the election, the non-voters.

Every national poll has her ahead of him and even a number of republican voters from Rubio's and Bush's camps have hinted they would defect to democracts. Trumps comments (while I agree with him) not only hit hard on his opponents but their respective supporters too
The man is a tw@t and a half. I would seriously question the intellect of the majority of American voters if that happened.

Knowing how full of Bible thumpers the nation is, I wonder whether Sanders, who is clearly non-religious stands a chance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Every national poll has her ahead of him and even a number of republican voters from Rubio's and Bush's camps have hinted they would defect to democracts. Trumps comments (while I agree with him) not only hit hard on his opponents but their respective supporters too

Polls based on the national election are worthless to an extent at this stage, as the attacks have not started against both parties. When both parties have had their candidates chosen for several weeks, then I would pay more attention. Furthermore, many polls do not consider likelihood of those polled to actually vote, another factor that can shift several points of the poll. The last poll I saw was Clinton 47 and Trump 45, practically a tie.
Original post by WBZ144
The man is a tw@t and a half. I would seriously question the intellect of the majority of American voters if that happened.

Knowing how full of Bible thumpers the nation is, I wonder whether Sanders, who is clearly non-religious stands a change.

Sanders has no chance of becoming the Democrat nominee, never mind the POTUS.

Clinton is narrowly ahead in the average of polls that pit her head-to-head against Trump in RealClearPolitics, by 2.8%. Once the campaign begins in earnest then Clinton will fall as Trump will attack her relentlessly and bring in plenty of Independents, Sanders' supporters and non-voters. Even more Sanders' supporters may simply choose not to vote at all. A low turnout on the part of the Democrats boosts Trump. Clinton is a very unpopular candidate and she does not energise the party at all.
Original post by Cato the Elder
Clinton is narrowly ahead in the average of polls that pit her head-to-head against Trump in RealClearPolitics, by 2.8%. Once the campaign begins in earnest then Clinton will fall as Trump will attack her relentlessly and bring in plenty of Independents, Sanders' supporters and non-voters. Even more Sanders' supporters may simply choose not to vote at all. A low turnout on the part of the Democrats boosts Trump. Clinton is a very unpopular candidate and she does not energise the party at all.

You can say she is just as unpopular as trump as over half of republicans don't like him, even if he holds a majority over the other candidates
You can say she is just as unpopular as trump as over half of republicans don't like him, even if he holds a majority over the other candidates

The Republicans who don't like Trump will still vote Republican, even if they don't like Trump, but like another poster said, many Sanders supporters will simply not vote if Clinton wins, thus proportionately hurting the Dems more.
The Republicans who don't like Trump will still vote Republican, even if they don't like Trump, but like another poster said, many Sanders supporters will simply not vote if Clinton wins, thus proportionately hurting the Dems more.

I want substantial evidence to support republicans who hate trump still voting for him yet democrats who hate Clinton not voting for her.
I want substantial evidence to support republicans who hate trump still voting for him yet democrats who hate Clinton not voting for her.

Trump and Sanders in many ways are similar, they are the output of years of frustration. They represent many of the the angry and forgotten peoples. Their support is made up of people who often do not vote, or those that rarely voted (although now those voters are determined to vote).

The supporters of Clinton and the other GOP candidates are more likely to represent the standard voters of their parties who vote on a regular basis.
Original post by Cato the Elder

Why on Earth would a Sanders supporter choose to vote for Trump of all people?
Original post by WBZ144
Why on Earth would a Sanders supporter choose to vote for Trump of all people?

They are both candidates that are anti-establishment / will "blow up" the status quo.
They are both candidates that are anti-establishment / will "blow up" the status quo.

They are polar opposites. You cannot compare an intelligent man who is highly experienced in the world of politics and is further left than any of the other late Democrat candidates to a man who is none of these things.
Reply 53
Original post by TheArtofProtest
The established media hate figures like Bernie and Trump because they threaten their privileged positions as the dissemination of state sanctioned propaganda.

Lol the media loves Trump because he gets them good ratings
Reply 54
Original post by WBZ144
They are polar opposites. You cannot compare an intelligent man who is highly experienced in the world of politics and is further left than any of the other late Democrat candidates to a man who is none of these things.

Donald Trump is the furthest left candidate on the Republican side. He believes in free healthcare. He wants to tax Wall Street more. He has a history of taking left wing positions on issues such as abortion. He supports big government.
Original post by WBZ144

Original post by djh2208
Donald Trump is the furthest left candidate on the Republican side. He believes in free healthcare. He wants to tax Wall Street more. He has a history of taking left wing positions on issues such as abortion. He supports big government.

I don't think that you really understand the current American political environment. I have already stated a huge similarity between Trump and Sanders, yet you have either read my message correctly, or chosen to ignore that point. May I suggest that you begin to watch / read some US newspapers / news channels, perhaps then you may realise what I have been saying.

Also, as djh2208 correctly points out, Trump is the furthest left out of the candidates, so far left that many of the "establishment" don't support him because he is not a traditional Republican (i.e. small government etc.)
Donald Trump is clearly fantastic a persuasion, he's been able to persuade many people over to an immoral cause, and whether you compare him to Hitler or not, he is really suggesting ways to make America hate again. I would rather Clinton won over him tbh, even though she is very contradictory and just wants the leadership, she would be 100x a better president than Trump. Then there's Sanders, but I believe that he'll get the same treatment as Obama if he wins, and congress would block all of his positive changes. But I think after two presidents getting nowhere in this state, someone will try and do something about congress.

As for Republicans, I dislike Ted Cruz, he's VERY similar to Donald Trump in his policies, sometimes worse.
Reply 57
Obama's destabilized Middle East maybe even worse than Bush but don't be a fool to think they don't do it on purpose. Also remember Hillary Clinton's involved in all of this as she was secretary of state.

Here's a map of countries that have bombed under Obama

obomba.jpg

Oh yes and practically began a cold war with Russia.

If Obama was a real leader and a decent man he wouldn't have allowed these things to happens. Maybe he is just a weak leader who does what he is told. Easy to control which is why he was pushed to be President?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending