The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Have you put your finger up someones bum yet? If not, why not?
Why did you choose medicine over nursing?
What's in a name?
Fail and you're a shame.
Pass and earn fame.
Don't worry it's all a game.
Original post by Mutleybm1996
How to cut up a dead body, correctly.

Erm, pretty sure there's a few of us around who may have done that... Even a couple who can cut up live people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats on getting into med. How intense is the course?
what are your statistics like?
@Mutleybm1996
What were your grades for A-level and what work experiences did you do?
any tips and advice for preparing for interviews
and just getting the grades in general?
Original post by Legit
You've been in medical school approximately about 5 months at best, doubt I'd take your word on how the medical school is. A close friend of mine is final year there, never had a good thing to say tbf.

Regardless, its a medical school at the end of the day. Hope first year is going well.

Then why would you insinuate that you would like my opinion on the matter if you were merely going to continue down such a narrow-minded trail of thought, especially as you haven't actually been here yourself.

A 5th year at Birmingham? I know, a friend in 4th year there hates it too.

However, if you mea a 5th year at Keele then maybe they're doing the wrong course, I've spoken with plenty of my colleagues and they all love it here, the support is excellent and we have more teaching hours than quite a few other medical schools (I have another friend from college at Exeter, and one at Plymouth).

Exactly, we all graduate with the same degree, so it doesn't matter which univeristy we graduate from. Not in the slightest.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Congrats on getting into med. How intense is the course?

Not as intense as Oxbridge....naturally!

But, it's still a very intense course. You need to know A LOT,even in first year.

Most of my friends go out once a week (Friday or Saturday), whilst the rest of the university appears to go out every night of the week!
Original post by champ_mc99
@Mutleybm1996
What were your grades for A-level and what work experiences did you do?

pm for details.

Work experience:
-2 weeks ENT + theatre
-4 days plastic surgery clinics
-1 week neuro TIA clinic and wards
-1 week anaesthetics + pain clinic +theatre+ 1 half-day of wards.
-9 months volunteering at a care home.
-2 year part-time job, not healthcare related.
-4 years on school mentoring scheme
Original post by Ishea16
any tips and advice for preparing for interviews
and just getting the grades in general?

where are your interviews?

Work hard for the grades! :smile: seriously though, just switch Facebook, TSR etc off and just revise. Though, if you study maths, TSR is good if you can't figure something out :-)
where are your interviews?

Work hard for the grades! :smile: seriously though, just switch Facebook, TSR etc off and just revise. Though, if you study maths, TSR is good if you can't figure something out :-)

lol I'm in my first year atm, just thinking ahead tbh:h:

lol thats easier said than done but yes i will try

thanks
pm for details.

Work experience:
-2 weeks ENT + theatre
-4 days plastic surgery clinics
-1 week neuro TIA clinic and wards
-1 week anaesthetics + pain clinic +theatre+ 1 half-day of wards.
-9 months volunteering at a care home.
-2 year part-time job, not healthcare related.
-4 years on school mentoring scheme

Apart from the long term ones did you do all of these in the summer?
Then why would you insinuate that you would like my opinion on the matter if you were merely going to continue down such a narrow-minded trail of thought, especially as you haven't actually been here yourself.

A 5th year at Birmingham? I know, a friend in 4th year there hates it too.

However, if you mea a 5th year at Keele then maybe they're doing the wrong course, I've spoken with plenty of my colleagues and they all love it here, the support is excellent and we have more teaching hours than quite a few other medical schools (I have another friend from college at Exeter, and one at Plymouth).

Exactly, we all graduate with the same degree, so it doesn't matter which univeristy we graduate from. Not in the slightest.

Whilst this is true with regards to foundation applications there is evidence that the medical school you attend does produce variation in postgraduate exam performance. It would also be a little naive to presume that the CV related extra-curriculars are the same in all universities
Original post by champ_mc99
Apart from the long term ones did you do all of these in the summer?

Over the summer and Easter period from years 11-12 and 12-13
Original post by plrodham1
Whilst this is true with regards to foundation applications there is evidence that the medical school you attend does produce variation in postgraduate exam performance. It would also be a little naive to presume that the CV related extra-curriculars are the same in all universities

"It would also be a little naive to presume that the CV related extra-curriculars are the same in all universities"

Please expand?

And yes, I read a paper recently about the performance of candidates from different universities.
Original post by Asklepios
Do you think being a medic is the most important factor in your self-identity?

Shots fired
Original post by Legit
Isn't Keele, by far, one of the worst Medical schools in the country

Multiple shots fired.
Do you still giggle when your professors say penis?