The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cholesta
I hear very good reports about Exeter. If you work really hard you could achieve higher than predicted and apply for other unis through .adjustment.

Have you heard of many getting into top Unis for adjustment for Law? I've looked around and was surprised to see that King's were taking adjustment for Law last year..however the lowest they'd accept was 2A* and an A..but still..gives me hope because I feel I am capable of really high grades, just let myself down on the LNAT.
(edited 8 years ago)
Uni of Nottingham on Extra?
Original post by kingofacademics
Have you heard of many getting into top Unis for adjustment for Law? I've looked around and was surprised to see that King's were taking adjustment for Law last year..however the lowest they'd accept was 2A* and an A..but still..gives me hope because I feel I am capable of really high grades, just let myself down on the LNAT.

Yes I have. As long as you achieve higher than predicted and have the universities required grades and above. Remind me of which universities you have offers from.
Reply 2903
Yes I have. As long as you achieve higher than predicted and have the universities required grades and above. Remind me of which universities you have offers from.

it's a bit weird no to jump onto TSR as a mum? kinda defeats the whole purpose of this website lol

I have offers from East Anglia (with American Law), Queens and Newcastle. I'm gonna make Newcastle firm. Rejections from UCL and King's (King's was always my first choice). Also applying to Irish universities but won't know till August. I do feel confident that I can achieve 2A* and 2A this year as I got 3A's and B at AS..I am reaaally hoping KCL are in adjustment again, I e-mailed them about it but they said they won't know that for a while. Fingers crossed. It kinda motivates me to work harder this year though!
(edited 8 years ago)
I have offers from East Anglia (with American Law), Queens and Newcastle. I'm gonna make Newcastle firm. Rejections from UCL and King's (King's was always my first). Also applying to Irish universities but won't know till August. I do feel confident that I can achieve 2A* and 2A this year and am reaaally hoping KCL are in adjustment again, I e-mailed them about it but they said they won't know that for a while. Fingers crossed. It kinda motivates me to work harder this year though!

My son's still waiting for LSE. He's also applied to Trinity but not that keen. You don't find out until day of results. Trinity and UCD are very good universities and Trinity is highly regarded in America. Newcastle for law is also considered good. Would you like to study in Dublin?
My son's still waiting for LSE. He's also applied to Trinity but not that keen. You don't find out until day of results. Trinity and UCD are very good universities and Trinity is highly regarded in America. Newcastle for law is also considered good. Would you like to study in Dublin?

Well it's looking pretty good for him as I have heard of a lot of rejections from LSE! I think I would choose Trinity over Newcastle, just because the uni is slightly more reputable but I'm not in love with either of them. Even though I know they're both great uni's there's something about studying in London that excites me so much, it just seems so full of opportunity and I visited recently and it just seems like the perfect place for me. But a good degree is more important so I won't be downgrading to any less reputable uni's just to study in London. I'll definitely try adjustment though for King's, fingers crossed they're in it again. I think there's a good chance because there will definitely be those who miss their grades completely and if someone comes along with 2A* why shouldn't they let them in? Especially because they've been in it before so it shows they're open to it. Also I've heard something about less of a limit on the amount of students universities now let it with top grades (don't know if that's true). It gives me something to work harder for either way :smile:
Well it's looking pretty good for him as I have heard of a lot of rejections from LSE! I think I would choose Trinity over Newcastle, just because the uni is slightly more reputable but I'm not in love with either of them. Even though I know they're both great uni's there's something about studying in London that excites me so much, it just seems so full of opportunity and I visited recently and it just seems like the perfect place for me. But a good degree is more important so I won't be downgrading to any less reputable uni's just to study in London. I'll definitely try adjustment though for King's, fingers crossed they're in it again. I think there's a good chance because there will definitely be those who miss their grades completely and if someone comes along with 2A* why shouldn't they let them in? Especially because they've been in it before so it shows they're open to it. Also I've heard something about less of a limit on the amount of students universities now let it with top grades (don't know if that's true). It gives me something to work harder for either way :smile:

Yes, the gov lifted the cap on the amount of students. Sadly it doesn't apply to Oxbridge or LSE.
Reply 2908
Yes, the gov lifted the cap on the amount of students. Sadly it doesn't apply to Oxbridge or LSE.

tbh he sounds like he's already ready to become a lawyer or even better a lecturer at Harvard
Got an offer for Kings and now I'm torn between them and UCL. Unlike pretty much everyone else, I really don't care about prestige, the blah blah magic circle, and all this other junk. I want a university that will let me get stuck into research and advocacy from the start and that's taken seriously when it comes to changing policy on things like pluralism and so on.

So I guess this is probably the completely wrong place to ask if anyone has any ideas as to which is better for those between Kings and UCL.

The only ones currently in extra that I like are QMUL, Exeter, Warwick
Original post by NOP97
Uni of Nottingham on Extra?

I highly doubt it... Although on the FAQs they have said you can apply after 15th Jan provided there are spaces

Yes, you can do it. Go in and thrash those exams and get what you deserve, which is the best. If you're not keen on Trinity, would you think about a gap year and reapply to all the universities that you do want. A year out flies in and think of the extra experience you will. Talk to your parents and see what they think.
Are there still a lot of places left in kings or have the majority of offers been given?
Reply 2914
Original post by seasoning
Are there still a lot of places left in kings or have the majority of offers been given?

It's impossible to know how many places a university has left at this point. King's seem to have done the bulk of the applications that they'd immediately accept/reject on principle - I mean, by this point it's probably safe to say that they have. But universities would be sifting through ones in the 'maybe pile' and comparing them to others in their cohort, right about now; I know LSE and Southampton are. They still have seats to fill at the end of the day, so no news isn't necessarily a bad thing. Don't worry about it! They'll always let you know, whether they accept you or not.

I mean, I wouldn't absolutely take my word for it, but my mum's a university lecturer/program director and interviews for her courses, so I have an insight into the process.
Original post by Viria
Yeah, I'm still waiting, too :/ They asked me for my LNAT score in January and I haven't heard from them since

Yeah the waiting is tough :frown: may I ask what are your grades like and lnat score? :smile:
Reply 2916
Original post by srai243
Yeah the waiting is tough :frown: may I ask what are your grades like and lnat score? :smile:

Sure! LNAT's 24; could be better. I got ABB for English, Philosophy (technically RE) and History (I was forced to drop an AS due to medical **** and I'm retaking History and a Philosophy paper), predicted A*, A, A and an A* for my EPQ.

You? :smile: Hopefully the wait won't be too much longer!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey, everyone. I need help deciding on what uni to go too. I'm an international student, so I need as much opinion as I can get if that's alright.

I've got conditionals from Newcastle, Bristol, Durham, UEA and Nottingham. If you could sort them in the order you would pick them, what would it be?
Original post by neelianeelia
Hey, everyone. I need help deciding on what uni to go too. I'm an international student, so I need as much opinion as I can get if that's alright.

I've got conditionals from Newcastle, Bristol, Durham, UEA and Nottingham. If you could sort them in the order you would pick them, what would it be?

Congratulations!

In my opinion, it would be Durham=Bristol (I personally chose the latter over the former)=-Nottingham>Newcastle>UEA.

Between the first three, your main factor should be where you want to live. Durham is a very small town, and so it is mainly the uni that breaths life into it. It can be more inclusive and so on, but for me that made Durham a no-no choice.

Bristol and Nottingham are larger, and you'll get more to do.
Original post by neelianeelia

I would go for Durham, Notts, Bristol, Newcastle, then UEA

Although I'm sure others would swap Notts and Bristol round.

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities - Check this out.

Latest

Trending

Trending