The Student Room Group

Deaf Girl doesn't get disability benefit.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plagioclase
Of course you've not done us the favour of giving us data to support what you're saying. But you don't possibly think this might have something to do with the fact that China is considerably less developed than a country like the UK with a considerably higher rural population so most of the population will not have access to physiologists or psychologists who are in the position to make such a diagnosis, not least add it to official records? Nah, let's stick to our "blame the disabled" stance.

Ily
Of course you've not done us the favour of giving us data to support what you're saying. But you don't possibly think this might have something to do with the fact that China is considerably less developed than a country like the UK with a considerably higher rural population so most of the population will not have access to physiologists or psychologists who are in the position to make such a diagnosis, not least add it to official records? Nah, let's stick to our "blame the disabled" stance.

What in the post made you think I was serious? China have a disastrous record on human rights let alone disability rights. I thought the dark humour would catch on but clearly TSR members spend less time with 'people' and more time looking at a screen
Original post by Reue
So.. not entitled to then.

She wasn't ignored, she was assessed and deemed not entitled.

And there couldn't possibly be anything wrong with the assessment process, could there?
Original post by Arsenal96
What in the post made you think I was serious? China have a disastrous record on human rights let alone disability rights. I thought the dark humour would catch on but clearly TSR members spend less time with 'people' and more time looking at a screen

It's not really humour though if nobody gets the joke. Given that there are plenty of users on this forum who would say what you wrote in all seriousness, there's not really any way I could tell that you're not being serious.
(edited 8 years ago)
And there couldn't possibly be anything wrong with the assessment process, could there?

I've heard that these assessments aren't even made by doctors or nurses… "health professionals" apparently. I'm unaware as to whether or not this is true, though. So don't take my word for it…
Reply 24

No of course not.

In serious though; The OP hasn't gone into any detail or discussion about why the assessment may not be accurate. He has just had a rant and jumped to the assumption that this girl is entitled.

Between a decision made by a professional.. and OP's rant without knowing any real specifics of the case... I'll believe the professional assessment until evidence suggests not to.
Original post by leinad2012
Exponentially less? Could you explain what that phrase means lol

i think they meant "Exponentially fewer" ? :dontknow:
Reply 26
DLA/PIP is there to help with additional costs caused by disability. Plenty of disabled people will not have additional costs because of the nature of their disability, support by the NHS or social care delivered by their local authority.
Reply 27
Great, so I'm definitely not gonna get the PIP when they switch me from DLA
People need to realise that PIP is paid because you meet the criteria and not because you have a disability.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Because not all their aids that they need will be paid for. They may need aids just to be able to use a phone.

I'm going deaf in one ear and don't have an hearing aid. I also have other hearing problems. The only way for me to be able to use a phone was to buy a hearing aid compatiable one. (HAC) That cost me £50. You can pick up a phone for £10. They may need other communication support too.

The other alternative is to buy an aid (which I don't know much about) to enable a deaf person to use a bluetooth enabled phone. That aid costs money too.

It's not as simple as you make it out to be.

Contrary to what some people think, not all aids are provided for free on the NHS. The aids which aren't free are actually quite expensive.

Deaf people are not victims. They are completely functioning people with an array of skillsets who are capable of integrating into society and the workplace.

Where do people like you get off with the whole victim-industry insanity? Everyone is a victim these days, everyone deserves some forcibly-taken tax money.

Disabled people aren't even the ones pushing this nonsense, it's these "social justice" dimwits who have a pathological need to turn demographics into victims so they have an excuse to place themselves in positions of power and authority over the economy.

And guess what, if billions, BILLIONS weren't being paid out to people too lazy to work, stolen from people who might otherwise give to charity, then truly disabled people would get a lot more help.
Original post by poohat
Disabled people already get free health care and are covered by national insurance, that isn't the issue here. Disability benefits are cash transfers on top of that - i.e. it literally involves non-disabled people having to give disabled people free money, purely because they are disabled. What is the justification for this? Why should I have to give you money just because you are disabled, over and above the tax paid to the NHS?

maybe because they cant live a normal life like yourself maybe.
Original post by Andy98
Great, so I'm definitely not gonna get the PIP when they switch me from DLA

Your most likely loose everything if you don't fight for it. The reason why that Deaf girl lost her DLA was because she doesn't understand how the system works.

She did the following.

1. Applied for PIP and got denied.
2. Re-applied and got denied again.

This is what she should of done.

1. Applied for PIP.
2. Asked for a mandatory reconsideration.
3. Appealed against the DWP decision maker.
4. Take the case to a court tribunal against a Independent Professional Doctor & Judge.
5. Send 2 copies of your medical evidence to the Independent Tribunal & the DWP.
6. Take witnesses who can testify of disability symptoms and tell them to the Tribunal.
7. Bring visual evidence to the Tribunal and another copy of the medical evidence.

To sum it up the DWP under the Tories are acting like a private insurance firm and they are only paying out if there if there is no chance of them winning a case in a tribunal.

The Tories don't want you to know this and that is why they are trying to change the goal posts again on a new system for Employment Support Allowance.

This is what its came to. If you want disability welfare you've got to be prepared to fight the DWP in court.

The DWP can also appeal against the Tribunal and take the case to a 2nd tier Tribunal.

You only need to see the behavior of the Tories by looking at their persistence to cut ESA WRAG by 30% and ignoring the House of Lords amendments. If the House of Lords delay the bill passing there is a good chance David Cameron will use a Parliament act to get the bill though.

I am not joking!

If your disabled my advise is move some where you can find a 16 hour per week job that isnt so taxing on your disability.

You won't be getting any help from the Tories. Your just be turned into a scapegoat and blamed for the bad state of the economy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Reue
No of course not.

In serious though; The OP hasn't gone into any detail or discussion about why the assessment may not be accurate. He has just had a rant and jumped to the assumption that this girl is entitled.

Between a decision made by a professional.. and OP's rant without knowing any real specifics of the case... I'll believe the professional assessment until evidence suggests not to.

Reue there is plenty wrong with the whole ESA and PIP assessments. However there is a loop hole which groups associated to DPAC exploit like crazy. That is the loophole to push the case to Tribunal as fast as possible.

Then the assessment has to have medical evidence to prove that the claimant is fit for work against the medical evidence by the NHS.

In most cases the DWP looses.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Because not all their aids that they need will be paid for. They may need aids just to be able to use a phone.

I'm going deaf in one ear and don't have an hearing aid. I also have other hearing problems. The only way for me to be able to use a phone was to buy a hearing aid compatiable one. (HAC) That cost me £50. You can pick up a phone for £10. They may need other communication support too.

The other alternative is to buy an aid (which I don't know much about) to enable a deaf person to use a bluetooth enabled phone. That aid costs money too.

It's not as simple as you make it out to be.

Contrary to what some people think, not all aids are provided for free on the NHS. The aids which aren't free are actually quite expensive.

PIP is supposed to represent the additional cost being disabled. You identify additional costs of £60 which we might generously say are annual additional costs but in reality are closer to costs incurred every 2 or 3 years.

The standard rate of the Daily Living Component of PIP is £55.10 per week.

If one asks the question of whether you, with your additional costs of, say, £60 per year are closer to £0.00 pounds per week of additional expenditure or £55.10 of additional expenditure, it is obvious that you are much, much closer to nil and that a payment of £55.10 per week would represent a windfall to you of well over £50 per week. Is it fairer that you should have a shortfall of £60 per year or a windfall profit of over £50 per week?
(edited 8 years ago)
Am I missing something here...

Don't deaf people already get free hearing aids and free healthcare? Why do they need free money from the tax payer just for being deaf? Companies already have to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate for deaf people so it's not like they're any less likely to be hired for a job that they could do. I worked in an administration office a few years ago with two deaf people on my team they were very competent, could do the job and were paid the same as everyone else, why should they be entitled to a top up from the tax payer as well?
Original post by Reue
No of course not.

Indeed. Being disabled does not automatically entitle you to benefits. The exception being those with a terminal illness, which obviously doesnt apply here. There's a guy on another forum who is trying to get PIP. Looking at what he's saying, it seems as though he's trying too hard and appears to be contradicting himself a lot. Well enough to go to uni 3-4 days a week; but supposedly then too disabled to do things like handle money. He then got defensive when I asked how is his situation of being so exhausted to cook so different to a non-disabled student. Does anyone else not fancy being able to cook after a full day at uni?

We, as you say, don't know anything about the assessment or indeed what evidence she provided. The OP has jumped to the assumption that because she has a disability, she must be entitled to PIP.

Not everyone who is disabled will be entitled to PIP. I know people who aren't, rightly.

It depends how you fill the form in and what the evidence you provide.
Reply 36
Original post by illegaltobepoor
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b071jrnw/battling-with-benefits-episode-3

So decided to watch the BBC's benefit program showcasing some disabled peoples battles with benefits.

This partially deaf girl has problems hearing and communicating yet she recehived only 2 points on her PIP assessment leaving her with no disability benefit.

This is how the Tories help disabled people. They simply ignore them and hope they will go away.

So I actually watched this and all the other episodes last night.

It seemed pretty clear that this girl was not entirely deaf, could hold a decent conversation and was otherwise totally able. Aside from her moderate hearing problems there was nothing wrong with her and certainly nothing which would stop her being able to do a vaste majority of jobs.

In all honesty you could and should have picked a better example from the series because that girl was by far the least entitled.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
Your most likely loose everything if you don't fight for it. The reason why that Deaf girl lost her DLA was because she doesn't understand how the system works.

She did the following.

1. Applied for PIP and got denied.
2. Re-applied and got denied again.

This is what she should of done.

1. Applied for PIP.
2. Asked for a mandatory reconsideration.
3. Appealed against the DWP decision maker.
4. Take the case to a court tribunal against a Independent Professional Doctor & Judge.
5. Send 2 copies of your medical evidence to the Independent Tribunal & the DWP.
6. Take witnesses who can testify of disability symptoms and tell them to the Tribunal.
7. Bring visual evidence to the Tribunal and another copy of the medical evidence.

To sum it up the DWP under the Tories are acting like a private insurance firm and they are only paying out if there if there is no chance of them winning a case in a tribunal.

The Tories don't want you to know this and that is why they are trying to change the goal posts again on a new system for Employment Support Allowance.

This is what its came to. If you want disability welfare you've got to be prepared to fight the DWP in court.

The DWP can also appeal against the Tribunal and take the case to a 2nd tier Tribunal.

You only need to see the behavior of the Tories by looking at their persistence to cut ESA WRAG by 30% and ignoring the House of Lords amendments. If the House of Lords delay the bill passing there is a good chance David Cameron will use a Parliament act to get the bill though.

I am not joking!

If your disabled my advise is move some where you can find a 16 hour per week job that isnt so taxing on your disability.

You won't be getting any help from the Tories. Your just be turned into a scapegoat and blamed for the bad state of the economy.

I don't think the tories even understand how it works
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b071jrnw/battling-with-benefits-episode-3

So decided to watch the BBC's benefit program showcasing some disabled peoples battles with benefits.

This partially deaf girl has problems hearing and communicating yet she received only 2 points on her PIP assessment leaving her with no disability benefit.

This is how the Tories help disabled people. They simply ignore them and hope they will go away.

My mum is deaf, as am I. Doesn't get benefits. Still votes Tory. Null point.
Original post by mstone12
maybe because they cant live a normal life like yourself maybe.

Trust me, deafness can allow you to lead a totally normal life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending