The Student Room Group

should i start past papers and how many hours a day!!!1

guys i have just finished my notes for chemistry and i am going to start making notes for my business studies should i start past papers or is it too early???and also how many hours should i do a day.
Start them - why not? Space them out though, don't kill them all off before exam season
Reply 2
Original post by iMacJack
Start them - why not? Space them out though, don't kill them all off before exam season

I disagree because I believe that if you complete all past papers at a quick pace than you could look at the topic where you lost marks and revise those again. Than have another go at past papers and keep on repeating this process and than till exam season an A* would be definite.
If you've finished your notes I'll advice you to start past papers now. Complete all of them and learn from your mistakes.
You stupid man. I started past papers last august. You should be doing 5 papers a day, silly - otherwise you wont get into Oxbridge...
Original post by MrMcBants
You stupid man. I started past papers last august. You should be doing 5 papers a day, silly - otherwise you wont get into Oxbridge...

Mr McBants has the worst bants around it would seem
Reply 6
Original post by harmony_x
If you've finished your notes I'll advice you to start past papers now. Complete all of them and learn from your mistakes.

i have new spec chemistry
Original post by help1208
i have new spec chemistry

Can't you still do the older spec past papers? It's all practice! :smile:
I'll also finish my revision probably by the end of February, and will start past papers soon, possibly in start of March.
Yes you should start as early as possible, it takes a lot of time to solve one, read mark schemes etc. and it depends upon your aptitude too. Like if you have a strong grip on your concepts, you may even be able to solve 5 papers a day, but if not, then you may spend as much as a whole day on just one paper!
Original post by Tinka99
I disagree because I believe that if you complete all past papers at a quick pace than you could look at the topic where you lost marks and revise those again. Than have another go at past papers and keep on repeating this process and than till exam season an A* would be definite.

I completely agree with this, doing a paper more than once really allows you to strengthen any weaknesses :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by cookiemonster15
I completely agree with this, doing a paper more than once really allows you to strengthen any weaknesses :smile:

how many hours a day??
Reply 11
I'd suggest go over your notes over a 5 week period, thoroughly, then at the end spend 1 or 2 weeks doing passed papers everyday & marking them. Then repeat the cycle.
how many hours a day??

I normally do a paper a day after I come home from school, then look over it. And maybe do some revision on the night.

It all depends on how much work you think you need to do to get where you want to be. :smile:

Best of Luck with your exams.
Reply 13
Original post by cookiemonster15
I normally do a paper a day after I come home from school, then look over it. And maybe do some revision on the night.

It all depends on how much work you think you need to do to get where you want to be. :smile:

Best of Luck with your exams.

is it okay to start papers in two weeks when my content is solid

Yes, it is much better to do past papers once you have a good understanding of all the content than it is to try and learn the content by doing them. The reason being that if you're just doing papers and looking at what you got wrong you will miss out all the content not examined in that particular paper

Yeah, whatever works for you :smile:

It would be best to get revision up to scratch before starting and then use past papers as a tool to see what topics you need to revise further :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by samb1234
Yes, it is much better to do past papers once you have a good understanding of all the content than it is to try and learn the content by doing them. The reason being that if you're just doing papers and looking at what you got wrong you will miss out all the content not examined in that particular paper

is it stupid of me to spend a couple of weeks solidifying my notes because i keep thinking exams are around the corner
Reply 17
Original post by MrMcBants

Don’t you think doing 5 past papers is alot?
plus how do you do 5 past papers?
guys i have just finished my notes for chemistry and i am going to start making notes for my business studies should i start past papers or is it too early???and also how many hours should i do a day.
Hi! I would say don't set yourself an unrealistic target of hours per day, instead focus on covering targets with specific goals, for example if it was Chemistry 'Today I will revise covalent bonds, writing a definition then rewriting it in my own words and then drawing 3 diagrams' and finish when you've done that, not focussing on timing. Do a past paper under timed conditions, then mark it and study how to correctly answer the questions you got wrong. This way you're not just using up all the past papers, you're spacing it out by learning from your mistakes. Best of luck with your revision!

Quick Reply

Latest