The Student Room Group

Should I do distance learning GCSEs

Because I can't do GCSEs full time as I am adult is distance learning worth it as it cost a lot of money to do GCSEs and pay for exam fees?
Original post by glamourprincess
Because I can't do GCSEs full time as I am adult is distance learning worth it as it cost a lot of money to do GCSEs and pay for exam fees?

Adults can do GCSEs full-time at college. But if your local college doesn't offer them, you could study them independently by yourself or with a distance learning provider. I don't think the learning providers are worth it, it is totally possible to study by yourself using online resources and revision books, then you just need to pay the exam fee. What GCSEs do you want to do?
Original post by Snufkin
Adults can do GCSEs full-time at college. But if your local college doesn't offer them, you could study them independently by yourself or with a distance learning provider. I don't think the learning providers are worth it, it is totally possible to study by yourself using online resources and revision books, then you just need to pay the exam fee. What GCSEs do you want to do?

Maths and double science and maybe psychology and sociology
Maths and double science and maybe psychology and sociology

Don't bother with psychology and sociology. The only GCSEs you need for university are English and maths, and sometimes science (check the university regulations).
Original post by Snufkin
Don't bother with psychology and sociology. The only GCSEs you need for university are English and maths, and sometimes science (check the university regulations).

Alright thanks
I did GCSE Maths and Biology last year through Oxford Open Learning. I recommend them.
Original post by alymau
I did GCSE Maths and Biology last year through Oxford Open Learning. I recommend them.

Ok thanks but I think I might use cloudlearn as its cheaper
Ok thanks but I think I might use cloudlearn as its cheaper

So you're not going to consider doing them yourself without a provider?
Original post by Snufkin
So you're not going to consider doing them yourself without a provider?

Don't know how to
I found out that 3AT exam centre also accepts self study but I can only self study maths and maybe literature maybe

Original post by Snufkin

Original post by Snufkin

As someone who is doing it both independently and with an online school. I'll recommend a homeschool, I don't know why Snufkin is saying this but doing it purely independent means no help.
I'll recommend Oxford Open Learning, you can ring them if you get stuck, well structure, assignments and full support all the way through. If you would like to go to University try to do 6-8 GCSEs if you can afford, you still also pay in instalements too and get it done with them about the money part.
Original post by ckfeister
As someone who is doing it both independently and with an online school. I'll recommend a homeschool, I don't know why Snufkin is saying this but doing it purely independent means no help.
I'll recommend Oxford Open Learning, you can ring them if you get stuck, well structure, assignments and full support all the way through. If you would like to go to University try to do 6-8 GCSEs if you can afford, you still also pay in instalements too and get it done with them about the money part.

I did it with no help, I'm speaking from experience. You don't get much help with an online provider anyway; you're essentially paying a fortune to have someone look at your work. You do not need 6-8 GCSEs, really, GCSEs are not important - you just need the basics. I got into some of the country's best universities with just three GCSEs.
Original post by Snufkin
I did it with no help, I'm speaking from experience. You don't get much help with an online provider anyway; you're essentially paying a fortune to have someone look at your work. You do not need 6-8 GCSEs, really, GCSEs are not important - you just need the basics. I got into some of the country's best universities with just three GCSEs.

What were the GCSEs?
What course?
What university?
What was your A-Level/BTEC results?
Did you have private tutoring?
What year? (Don't forget huge changes)

I'm currently at homeschool and they are helpful when I'm stuck. Except Maths/Further Maths I do on my own.
What were the GCSEs?
What course?
What university?
What was your A-Level/BTEC results?
Did you have private tutoring?
What year? (Don't forget huge changes)

I'm currently at homeschool and they are helpful when I'm stuck. Except Maths/Further Maths I do on my own.

English, maths and French
Modern Languages/History
UCL and Edinburgh
1 A level (grade B), CertHE with the Open University
No
2012-2014
Original post by Snufkin
English, maths and French
Modern Languages/History
UCL and Edinburgh
1 A level (grade B), CertHE with the Open University
No
2012-2014

Hm, this is interesting. Good job on what you achieved never knew this was possible with that grades and lack of 5 GCSEs and 3 A-Levels, good job anyway.
The GCSE grades I got are
English c
Art d
Literature e
Maths e
Drama f
Science pass
Ict pass
Work skills pass

I done Btecs science but want do to GCSE science and maybe retake literature

Sorry for being random but as I'm in the same situation and want some more GCSE but thinking of doing that online. Don't understand which online course is legit? Checked a few of them but not all reviews are good enough so making me think if it's worth it. Have you had the experience from "Oxford open learning"? If yes, how was it, please. Thanks in advance x

Quick Reply

Latest