The Student Room Group

Physics, Maths and Uni

After getting my progress review, it looks like I'm not going to pass maths very well (high D, low C) but I intend to pass physics (high B, Low A). I also take english literature and photography. Is there any physics uni courses in engineering, mechanic or astrophysics which do not require A-level maths or at least fit my targets?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Nope, but you can get into mechanical engineering courses with a C in A-level maths, and that is VERY VERY generous.
Reply 2
Original post by prettyinpunk27
Is there any physics uni courses in engineering, mechanic or astrophysics which do not require A-level maths?

No.

And if you can't handle A level maths (which is very easy) what do you think is going to happen at university? Physics/Astronomy/Astrophysics especially and most of the engineering disciplines are going to ramp up the maths level quite a lot from A level.

What you might be left with are the iffy non-traditional from an academic standpoint engineering like automotive where they might have some reduced requirement like grade C A level maths (or a BTEC of some type) and don't do much maths on the degree.

But traditional physical science or academic engineering at a university - forget about it.
You need maths to do physics, you can try to get onto a course but you will probably fail
Original post by Dancatpro
You need maths to do physics, you can try to get onto a course but you will probably fail

More friendly people, yay!
Reply 5
Original post by Username002
More friendly people, yay!

Better than the usual Pollyanna rubbish you see on here telling everyone its going to be okay and you'll succeed when the majority will maybe improve a little at best.

Too many people are being told it's going to be alright when they never should be doing A levels to begin with or should be doing much different ones.
Original post by etjayne
Better than the usual Pollyanna rubbish you see on here telling everyone its going to be okay and you'll succeed when the majority will maybe improve a little at best.

Too many people are being told it's going to be alright when they never should be doing A levels to begin with or should be doing much different ones.

We have absolutely no confirmed information from this person. You are the one drawing the conclusion that they are ****ed from nowhere.
Reply 7
You could look up foundation courses, see what their requirements are.
Reply 8
We have absolutely no confirmed information from this person. You are the one drawing the conclusion that they are ****ed from nowhere.

Where did I draw a conclusion. I take it you are not adept at reading comprehension? I only said to forget about finding a physics/engineering degree without A level maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Nadile

Those tend to be BBB/BBC/BCC at A level - it is also where they stick the BTEC students because their maths tends to be weak.
After getting my progress review, it looks like I'm not going to pass maths very well but I intend to pass physics. Is there any physics uni courses in engineering, mechanic or astrophysics which do not require A-level maths?

What exactly do you mean by "not very well"

Also do you have any insight into WHY you're expecting to perform poorly? All the degrees you mention include substantial maths components so if you want to pursue them you'll need to figure out and address your problems with maths content.

What other subjects are you studying? And what exactly is it that appeals to you about the subjects you listed above? There might be other degrees that could address those interests without such a reliance on maths content if you're not able to figure out what's going wrong and rectify it.
Original post by Nadile

A lot of engineering/physics foundation courses are targeted at students who have the wrong subject background rather than poor performance in the right subjects.

It's not a back door to get onto a competitive course without the right grades.

Hey, you guys need to relax, I'm not just taking physics and maths A-levels and I'm not completely ****ed in anything. The only reason I posted this is because I was considering taking an apprenticeship or applying for uni in a completely different sector i.e. photography/art/english etc. But in an ideal world mechanical and astrophysical uni courses would be my first choice.
Hey, you guys need to relax, I'm not just taking physics and maths A-levels and I'm not completely ****ed in anything. The only reason I posted this is because I was considering taking an apprenticeship or applying for uni in a completely different sector i.e. photography/art/english etc. But in an ideal world mechanical and astrophysical uni courses would be my first choice.

And that's the last time I try to defend someone...
Original post by PQ
What exactly do you mean by "not very well"

Also do you have any insight into WHY you're expecting to perform poorly? All the degrees you mention include substantial maths components so if you want to pursue them you'll need to figure out and address your problems with maths content.

What other subjects are you studying? And what exactly is it that appeals to you about the subjects you listed above? There might be other degrees that could address those interests without such a reliance on maths content if you're not able to figure out what's going wrong and rectify it.

Hi, I've edited the original question, if you want to take a look. And I enjoy building and making useful things, and by the looks of it going to uni will give me a better opportunity to pursue those as a career than perhaps starting a business. I'm open to any advice or life choices that aren't uni or apprenticeships if you've got any ideas?
Reply 15

Is that a long winded way of saying "attention seeker"?
And that's the last time I try to defend someone...

Sorry, thanks for defending me, I was just trying to clarify the situation, and your comment was the last one.
Hi, I've edited the original question, if you want to take a look. And I enjoy building and making useful things, and by the looks of it going to uni will give me a better opportunity to pursue those as a career than perhaps starting a business. I'm open to any advice or life choices that aren't uni or apprenticeships if you've got any ideas?

Have you thought about architecture?

The requirements for maths/physics is a lot lower than engineering and you'd be able to bring in your artistic experience from photography.

It's a long course but it seems to match your interests without a C in maths A level being a deal breaker.
Reply 18
Original post by PQ

It's not a back door to get onto a competitive course without the right grades.

A lot of people treat it that way hoping for a resurrection from bad A level grades.

And a lot of universities like it as a way of getting at least a years fees out of students by basically reteaching them A level material. There is, sadly, a cynical side to the foundation year.

My son did one for engineering and the course was full of people who did poorly in A levels and BTEC people clearly not ready because of lacking mathematics. It was a year of doing A level material.

And if you like building/making useful things then have a look into product design/model making....or even orthotics/prosthetics degrees

Quick Reply

Latest