The Student Room Group

Deaf Girl doesn't get disability benefit.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mstone12
maybe because they cant live a normal life like yourself maybe.

What do you mean can't live a normal life?
Life has challenges what you overcome and this is one.
Original post by joecphillips
What do you mean can't live a normal life?
Life has challenges what you overcome and this is one.

what if someone cant do that
Reply 42
what if someone cant do that

people who need help as they cant should get help.

What is a normal life? And how can this person not live a normal life? Or do you think anyone with any condition can't live a normal life because they face some difficulties?
Original post by Reue
So I actually watched this and all the other episodes last night.

It seemed pretty clear that this girl was not entirely deaf, could hold a decent conversation and was otherwise totally able. Aside from her moderate hearing problems there was nothing wrong with her and certainly nothing which would stop her being able to do a vaste majority of jobs.

In all honesty you could and should have picked a better example from the series because that girl was by far the least entitled.

Quite. I'm mildly deaf in one ear and have other hearing problems. Being mildly deaf in one ear doesn't actually cause a problem like that. Not being able to process noise (which isn't a hearing disability) however, does.

Such a non story.
Original post by Arsenal96
In China they don't give out disability benefits yet there are exponentially less disabled people. Coincidence?

cough *one child policy* cough

disabled child (or even just if it's a girl) -> abort
people who need help as they cant should get help.

What is a normal life? And how can this person not live a normal life? Or do you think anyone with any condition can't live a normal life because they face some difficulties?

i mean people who cant live in society normally like someone who cant interact in society mental illness etc or cant get into any relationship what bout that .
Reply 46
i mean people who cant live in society normally like someone who cant interact in society mental illness etc or cant get into any relationship what bout that .

Of course people who cant interact in society needs help but that isnt what the op was on about.
Of course people who cant interact in society needs help but that isnt what the op was on about.

well back on topic there are plenty of people who get loads in things like disability premium etc who shouldn't have it so i think this deaf girl should get the benefit
my mother herself has fibromyalgia yet she has no support yet there are people with alot less wrong with them who get alot help system is messed up .
Original post by Reue
So.. not entitled to then.

She wasn't ignored, she was assessed and deemed not entitled.

People who haven't been through the process wouldn't understand how completely absurd the assessment criteria are. You have to make every aspect of a disability fit into a little box. Clearly this isn't possible as everyone is an individual with individual needs. It would be entirely impossible to get what you're entitled to if you have problems communicating in the first place. It would be entirely appropriate for a school girl to get personal independence payments to assist with the additional costs of living

However, I think this girl's mum is a different matter. She has a slight hearing and speech impairment andthe programme stated that she's relied on disability allowance all of her life, implying that she's never had a job or tried to get by independently. While people with disabilities should have some benefits to allow them to live a normal life, this should be with the condition that they try to live a full and normal life in every way they can. The mother is almost certainly capable of some kinds of work, even if it is not full time.
People with disabilities should be given help, but should not be given a free pass.
So ?
Original post by Arsenal96
In China they don't give out disability benefits yet there are exponentially less disabled people. Coincidence?
There aren't exponentially less disabled people, there are tons of disabled people in China. It's just that their families take care of them, it actually works. I lived in China for a year and I only ever saw one homeless person. Sometimes legless people etc would come through the the underground carriage but they aren't homeless. Although I think family structures in China have their own issues, one thing for sure is they take care of their own in China - should be that way here.
Original post by Dancatpro
cough *one child policy* coughdisabled child (or even just if it's a girl) -> abort
The girl/boy thing nobody cares about as much anymore, 30 years ago - yeah. Not sure how they treat disabled people let me ask my surgeon friend who is in china. Yeah disabled babies are frequently aborted in China according to her.
As for OP, It depends on how much it effects her life. Benefit criteria is only going to get tougher and being partially deaf isn't as much of a problem as some people let it out to be.
Reply 52
well back on topic there are plenty of people who get loads in things like disability premium etc who shouldn't have it so i think this deaf girl should get the benefit

So instead of stopping people who shouldn't get it we should just give more money to people who shouldn't get it.
So instead of stopping people who shouldn't get it we should just give more money to people who shouldn't get it.

no we should stop people getting it who shouldn't be getting it
Reply 54
no we should stop people getting it who shouldn't be getting it

You just said because some people who you feel shouldn't get anything this girl who isn't entitled to anything should get something
You just said because some people who you feel shouldn't get anything this girl who isn't entitled to anything should get something

well plenty of people who are entitled are being refused maybe she should be getting it
well plenty of people who are entitled are being refused maybe she should be getting it

We don't know enough about her situation to know whether she actually meets the criteria. It would be perfectly possible for her to be deaf and not meet the criteria for the benefit.

it's not a case of she's deaf, therefore, she should get benefits. Which is the impression I get from you.

There are plenty of jobs deaf people can do, especially as she's "only" partially dead. She really shouldn't get the same disability allowance as people who actually can't work...
Original post by MildredMalone

There are plenty of jobs deaf people can do, especially as she's "only" partially dead. She really shouldn't get the same disability allowance as people who actually can't work...

Are you even aware that the benefit the OP is talking about has nothing to do with work? it's paid to people with care and /or mobility needs to pay for the extra costs of being disabled.
Reply 59
Original post by MildredMalone

To clarify the slightly ratty reply you got from a previous contributor about this: Disability Living Allowance or the Personal Independence Payment is an in-work benefit - it's paid equally to people who can and cannot work to accommodate the additional costs of their disability. So, for example, even though you may work, it may cost you more to get around if you have a relevant disability. It pays for that.

Employment and Support Allowance is the out-of-work benefit for sick people. It is what used to be called an incapacity benefit.

That said, your essential point is true: the additional costs of disability are not clear here, particularly given a great deal of equipment and support can be provided either by the NHS or the local authority.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest