The Student Room Group

Distance Learning - A-Levels

I am planning on taking some A-Levels online due to the fact I can't get enough tariff points for uni and am living in Germany. I am not sure whether to use the oxford collefe distance learning (ODL) or the national extension college (NEC). I have heard some bad reviews about tutors at ODL but I find the fees at NEC at bit high. Can someone help me please?

Scroll to see replies

I can tell you without a doubt that the NEC is infinitely better than Oxford Online College. I've used both, and it would literally take me hours to tell you all the ridiculous things Oxford have done. Just totally, totally incompetent. And even if they were capable of doing there job properly, the service you would actually receive wouldn't be as good as the NEC. You can't even email a tutor directly, for instance, and if you want a print out of the materials you get, it costs about sixty quid.
Original post by MouseyBrown
I can tell you without a doubt that the NEC is infinitely better than Oxford Online College. I've used both, and it would literally take me hours to tell you all the ridiculous things Oxford have done. Just totally, totally incompetent. And even if they were capable of doing there job properly, the service you would actually receive wouldn't be as good as the NEC. You can't even email a tutor directly, for instance, and if you want a print out of the materials you get, it costs about sixty quid.

Hi mikura14,
I'm not surprised at MouseyBrown's comments. We put our students first and that shows in our customer satisfaction. It goes without saying, for instance, that you can email or telephone your dedicated tutor, and that print material is not a hidden extra. We have all the new syllabus A levels, and if you start now, you can be ready in time for 2017 summer exams. Just hover over our profile and click to send us a private message and get started.
Daniel
Reply 3
Original post by mikura14
I am planning on taking some A-Levels online due to the fact I can't get enough tariff points for uni and am living in Germany. I am not sure whether to use the oxford collefe distance learning (ODL) or the national extension college (NEC). I have heard some bad reviews about tutors at ODL but I find the fees at NEC at bit high. Can someone help me please?

Why not learn them yourself? That's what I have done. Three A levels in 6 months (A2 and AS). Saves a lot of money, just have to pay for the exams (just over £300) and a small fee for the school (£30) I am sitting them at as a private candidate.

Looking at these online tutors you are looking at best part of £2000.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by etjayne
Why not learn them yourself? That's what I have done. Three A levels in 6 months (A2 and AS). Saves a lot of money, just have to pay for the exams (just over £300) and a small fee for the school (£30) I am sitting them at as a private candidate.

How would I go about getting material for these courses though? Of course it is cheaper but I don't know how well I'll will a tutor.
Original post by etjayne

What subjects are you teaching yourself? And how old are you? Did you say you're doing both the AS and A2 in 6 months, how are you coping with the work load?
Reply 6
Original post by Philip-flop
What subjects are you teaching yourself? And how old are you? Did you say you're doing both the AS and A2 in 6 months, how are you coping with the work load?

Maths, Further Maths and Statistics A levels (all AQA). Work load is fine. I've been finished for a while actually. Just repeatedly going over stuff now. Spend about six hours per day, six days per week. (more than 30 less than 60 years of age).
Reply 7
Original post by mikura14
How would I go about getting material for these courses though? Of course it is cheaper but I don't know how well I'll will a tutor.

Bought a couple of books but the best thing I did was take almost all the past papers and mark schemes and work backwards to produce my own set of notes (about two hundred pages worth all told).
Original post by etjayne
Maths, Further Maths and Statistics A levels (all AQA). Work load is fine. I've been finished for a while actually. Just repeatedly going over stuff now. Spend about six hours per day, six days per week. (more than 30 less than 60 years of age).

Oh wow, that's very good!! So You're a mature person between the age of 30 and 60? I take it you don't currently have a job? What made you decide to do some A-levels? I'm a mature person myself (23 years old) and have entered myself to sit exams as an external candidate for AS Maths and AS Biology!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Oh wow, that's very good!! So You're a mature person between the age of 30 and 60? I take it you don't currently have a job? What made you decide to do some A-levels? I'm a mature person myself (23 years old) and have entered myself to sit exams as an external candidate for AS Maths and AS Biology!

I am what you'd call well off. I retired at age 40 which right away tells you I am not 30 something LOL.

I want to be a maths professor so the first step is doing A levels. That was my original plan decades ago but life intervened. I already have four university offers and I'll be starting in September short of keeling over in the meantime.
Original post by etjayne
I am what you'd call well off. I retired at age 40 which right away tells you I am not 30 something LOL.

I want to be a maths professor so the first step is doing A levels. That was my original plan decades ago but life intervened. I already have four university offers and I'll be starting in September short of keeling over in the meantime.

You are an incredible inspiration sir!! I respect you so much for that. Classic example that you should always pursue your goals. When it comes to education, age is merely just a number!!! Will be keeping in contact with you up until results day! I wish you the best of luck! Also can I ask what you were doing beforehand?
Reply 11
You are an incredible inspiration sir!! I respect you so much for that. Classic example that you should always pursue your goals. When it comes to education, age is merely just a number!!! Will be keeping in contact with you up until results day! I wish you the best of luck! Also can I ask what you were doing beforehand?

I owned my own company in the aircraft/aerospace industry. Not a multinational I might add (100 employees not 10,000). But I always wanted to be a mathematician and it was what I was originally expected to do (I was always the best in my school at maths) but emigration/marriage/kids/mortgages all got in the way.
Original post by etjayne
I owned my own company in the aircraft/aerospace industry. Not a multinational I might add (100 employees not 10,000). But I always wanted to be a mathematician and it was what I was originally expected to do (I was always the best in my school at maths) but emigration/marriage/kids/mortgages all got in the way.

I'm stumped for words!! As if I didn't already have lots of respect of you for going ahead to go back to A-levels and study but you also had yourself a very successful business!!! What an incredible and passionate person you are! It sounds like everything you do, you put in 110% and then some!! You have to keep me updated with how your exams go!!
Reply 13
I'm stumped for words!! As if I didn't already have lots of respect of you for going ahead to go back to A-levels and study but you also had yourself a very successful business!!! What an incredible and passionate person you are! It sounds like everything you do, you put in 110% and then some!! You have to keep me updated with how your exams go!!

One thing having a medium sized business teaches you is organisation and discipline. The biggest reason people do poorly in their A levels (excepting those who just aren't capable) is not being organised, and lacking the discipline to work continuously through their two years. Now I am lucky that I can treat this as a job (six hours per day) so doing three complete A levels in six months is actually very feasible - but three A levels over two years with the right planning should be a breeze for most.
Original post by etjayne
One thing having a medium sized business teaches you is organisation and discipline. The biggest reason people do poorly in their A levels (excepting those who just aren't capable) is not being organised, and lacking the discipline to work continuously through their two years. Now I am lucky that I can treat this as a job (six hours per day) so doing three complete A levels in six months is actually very feasible - but three A levels over two years with the right planning should be a breeze for most.

That is very true!! It is the amount of hard work and dedication you actually put in to doing something that gets you results!! But then, sometimes with A-levels it can depend on your memory too (I do find it difficult to memorise things a lot of the time). So it's a mixture of dedication and memory to the build up to the exams. I'm gonna use you as my inspiration though!! :P
Original post by etjayne

I totally agree that you don't need an online college or whatever for the actual materials. The official books and wider reading is all you need for learning. But I do think that you need some tutor support, especially for doing past papers, and that's what you would get from an online college.
Reply 16
I totally agree that you don't need an online college or whatever for the actual materials. The official books and wider reading is all you need for learning. But I do think that you need some tutor support, especially for doing past papers, and that's what you would get from an online college.

If someone is a pretty good student then I disagree. I think £600 per A level for these online course tutors is a lot of money. And I think any good student can self teach to get themselves A*.

A person who isn't particularly academic probably does need the help but anyone who in a standard school would get straight A* could do it themselves at home to the same standard.
Reply 17
That is very true!! It is the amount of hard work and dedication you actually put in to doing something that gets you results!! But then, sometimes with A-levels it can depend on your memory too (I do find it difficult to memorise things a lot of the time). So it's a mixture of dedication and memory to the build up to the exams. I'm gonna use you as my inspiration though!! :P

I have always had a phenomenal memory which does make it a lot easier I admit. I can still remember every phone number I have ever had since being a small child and the number plates on all my dads cars and since an adult my own cars. Anything number/formula related just sticks in my mind.

Just think how many people on here who'll end up with B, C or D's in their A levels would be getting A and A*'s if they'd have put just five hours per week extra in for the 21 months they do A levels? Instead they do bugger all for 20 months and try to cram it all in the final three weeks or so. Some people can do that if they have great memories but most cannot.
Original post by etjayne
If someone is a pretty good student then I disagree. I think £600 per A level for these online course tutors is a lot of money. And I think any good student can self teach to get themselves A*.

A person who isn't particularly academic probably does need the help but anyone who in a standard school would get straight A* could do it themselves at home to the same standard.

Have you sat any exams yet?
Reply 19
Have you sat any exams yet?

In my life, yes. A levels this summer.

Quick Reply

Latest