The Student Room Group

My school won't let me take two sciences for A-Levels?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ♥Samantha♥
That is what we were told at school bc we had to do some ASs alongside GCSEs so we could convert whatever we were getting to GCSE equivalents.

AS - GCSE
A - A*+
B - A*
C - A
D - B
E - C

my point was she/he was saying that as they are getting As and Bs at gcse that means they will be getting the same (actually, higher) at a level which is not necessarily true as they are completely different scales.

I'm predicted high gcse grades its just that my teachers don't think I'm capable of getting them, even though they're the ones that have given me them?
Reply 21
Original post by remie-elf
My predicted grades are much higher than the grades i'm getting now like I've been a bit stressed out with everything rn and thats why I'm getting B's :C

Original post by remie-elf
I'm predicted high gcse grades its just that my teachers don't think I'm capable of getting them, even though they're the ones that have given me them?

You seem to be contradicting yourself a bit. You are predicted high grades, but not high enough to do 2 sciences at A-level, and yet you are currently attaining lower grades anyway.

Sounds like you need to take a little step back, don't worry about A-levels yet, focus on improving your GCSE performance. If you do well in them I'm sure your school and you can revisit your choices.
As and Bs at GCSE are very different from As at A-level. B at GCSE is approximately the same level as a D at A-level.

Ok but that doesn't mean that is what you would get? I got a B in Core Science and an A in Additional and I got a B in AS Biology with very little effort.

OP: you should definitely bring in your parents for a meeting, and also tell your school that if you do get As in all or at least in your Bio and Chem GCSE exams, that they should promise to allow you take Bio and Chem at A level. My school was also ridiculous in not letting me do Further Maths despite me telling them I wanted to apply for Economics which at Cambridge/LSE/UCL, Further Maths is highly preferred. The Head of Maths kept on repeating that her sons do economics at university and they did not do Further Maths, which I understand but I don't know if her sons were at Cambridge or a top uni, they could've been at South Bank?

Another thing you could do is ask them to put you on a level chemistry for trial. Also tell them that people who apply to medicine, often do ALL 3 sciences and so it would be very difficult for you to compete with them if you only have one. They are essentially preventing you from going into the career that YOU want.

Ask them what they would suggest you do if you want to become a doctor?
You can still apply to different sixth forms although for some the deadlines might have passed. I hold 4 sixth form college offers to study Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths A levels. I have seen deadlines go up to March, April and May while researching sixth forms so I am sure there must be some sixth forms still accepting students just look up all the sixth forms on google and individually check their application deadline.

I think your school are brain dead as it is not "unrealistic" if you have the capability to handle it and it's been done in the past by millions of students. Your schools sixth form is ridiculous and seriously consider going somewhere else. They seriously should know that for students looking to pursue medicine Biology and Chemistry is a must.
Tell them to stick it
It sounds like they want people to take easier subjects to improve their grade averages in the league tables.

If you're predicted good grades at GCSE then there's no reason you can't continue to achieve at this level. I'd go as far as writing to your MP to complain if they won't let you.
Original post by jneill
Subject attainment from GCSE to A-Level for Biology GCSE Grade B:
3% achieve A/A* in the same subject at A-level
17% get B
28% get C
28% get D
19% get E

Chemistry is simliar.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/183942/DFE-RR195.pdf

Doesn't this back up what I am saying??? If you get a B at GCSE this is saying you're most likely to get a D or C at A level and then an E... I'm not sure if you're trying to rebut me or provide evidence for my point...
Original post by lahorizon
Ok but that doesn't mean that is what you would get? I got a B in Core Science and an A in Additional and I got a B in AS Biology with very little effort

I wasn't saying that's what u get at a level. If that was true it would b impossible to get an A/A* at a level as you can't get that at GCSE. People can improve as they get older - there's a reason we don't still have the brains of year 7s. I was saying a B at GCSE is the same LEVEL as a D at a level, not that they will get a D at a level (however statistics show that most people who get a B at gcse WILL get C/D at a level in the same subject). Also it's ridiculous if u think that bc u got a B at GCSE and a B at a level that it's proof that u should get the same grade. You're just one person in the big picture.
Reply 28
Doesn't this back up what I am saying??? If you get a B at GCSE this is saying you're most likely to get a D or C at A level and then an E... I'm not sure if you're trying to rebut me or provide evidence for my point...

It shows that it's not correct to say a B at GCSE will lead to a D at A-Level. It's much more complicated than that. But yeah I was surprised at the number of Ds :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Only Chemistry is a requirement for medicine, however universities may want some other science/maths subjects with it (not necessarily Biology). Look up the unis you were thinking off, it may actually not be a problem for you if you only take Chemistry.

At the same time, I don't see their problem if you can meet the requirements. Go to someone higher up and find a teacher to stick up for you.
Original post by jneill
It shows that it's not correct to say a B at GCSE will lead to a D at A-Level. It's much more complicated than that. But yeah I was surprised at the number of Ds :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

WHEN DID I SAY A B WILL LEAD TO A D AT A LEVEL???????? all I said was that a B at GCSE is equivalent to a D at a level (in terms of level)! Or do you really think that a B at GCSE and a B at a level are the same thing?.... One is level 2 the other is level 3 it's a whole different spectrum. Plus I didn't make the scale up this is what my head teacher said, and the OP him/herself has said that they were told the same thing.

Sorry about the caps but I'm frustrated why everyone has decided that I said that if u get a B at GCSE it means u can only get a D at a level.....

Also only 20% of people who got a B at GCSE managed to attain a B or greater at a level which is a very small amount. So basically if u get a B at GCSE then you're unlikely to get the same at a level. Like obviously it's not going to be 0% I don't know what you think I thought it would be.
(edited 8 years ago)
I wasn't saying that's what u get at a level. If that was true it would b impossible to get an A/A* at a level as you can't get that at GCSE. People can improve as they get older - there's a reason we don't still have the brains of year 7s. I was saying a B at GCSE is the same LEVEL as a D at a level, not that they will get a D at a level (however statistics show that most people who get a B at gcse WILL get C/D at a level in the same subject). Also it's ridiculous if u think that bc u got a B at GCSE and a B at a level that it's proof that u should get the same grade. You're just one person in the big picture.

I wasn't saying you should get the same grade but deffo not C/D. I got a B in core just because of a D in my controlled assessment, I got As and A*s in my actual exams and an A in Additional which is obviously harder than core science. I didn't say your GCSE grade is the same as your AS/A level grade. Just that it can be higher. Anyways I understand what you are saying and I mistook what you initially posted.
Original post by lahorizon
I wasn't saying you should get the same grade but deffo not C/D. I got a B in core just because of a D in my controlled assessment, I got As and A*s in my actual exams and an A in Additional which is obviously harder than core science. I didn't say your GCSE grade is the same as your AS/A level grade. Just that it can be higher. Anyways I understand what you are saying and I mistook what you initially posted.

Okay but the statistics still hold that MOST people who get a B at GCSE get C/D at a level - it's a fact that unfortunately your opinion can't change. Also if u got A*/A in all your exams then u hardly provide any insight for the likely case of an actual B-grade student, in fact you're evidence that an A*/A student is still likely to get a B at AS/a level. But yes I know people who get B at GCSE can get A*/A/B at a level. Similarly people who get A*/A at GCSE can get B/C or worse at a level. Anything can happen.
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/247533-provisional-exam-statistics-june-2015-now-includes-gcse.pdf

5586 people got A or A* and 8106 got C/D - only a difference of 2516 so I would say they are quite similar. Therefore, what grade at GCSE did those who got a/A* at Alevel get then?
Reply 34
Maybe you could start off during an extra subject with the deal that you'll drop whichever one you're finding hardest by the first half term? Gives you a chance to prove yourself :smile:
Reply 35
WHEN DID I SAY A B WILL LEAD TO A D AT A LEVEL???????? all I said was that a B at GCSE is equivalent to a D at a level (in terms of level)! Or do you really think that a B at GCSE and a B at a level are the same thing?.... One is level 2 the other is level 3 it's a whole different spectrum. Plus I didn't make the scale up this is what my head teacher said, and the OP him/herself has said that they were told the same thing.

Sorry about the caps but I'm frustrated why everyone has decided that I said that if u get a B at GCSE it means u can only get a D at a level.....

Also only 20% of people who got a B at GCSE managed to attain a B or greater at a level which is a very small amount. So basically if u get a B at GCSE then you're unlikely to get the same at a level. Like obviously it's not going to be 0% I don't know what you think I thought it would be.

chill
Original post by jneill
chill

Okay thanks for the useless response.
Try applying elsewhere.
Original post by morgan8002
Try applying elsewhere.

It's okay now ! I complained to the school (along with my parents) and they're letting me take the two sciences now.
Original post by sadface
Maybe you could start off during an extra subject with the deal that you'll drop whichever one you're finding hardest by the first half term? Gives you a chance to prove yourself :smile:

It's okay now ! I complained to the school and they're letting me take the two sciences now! c:

Quick Reply

Latest