The Student Room Group

Geoscience & Geology 2016

Scroll to see replies

My son has offers from Durham, Bristol, Royal Holloway, Birmingham and Glasgow for Geology/ Earth Science/ Geoscience he's struggling to decide on Firm/ Insurance, thoughts anyone? He's visited them all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
My son has offers from Durham, Bristol, Royal Holloway, Birmingham and Glasgow for Geology/ Earth Science/ Geoscience he's struggling to decide on Firm/ Insurance, thoughts anyone? He's visited them all.

What are his preferences?
Durham is ranked #5, just after Oxford, for Geology in the Complete University Guide.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=geology

Living is expensive in London, so factor in all those things too....

PS: I adore the old buildings - and RH is just gorgeous :wink: I'm firming Durham.

He should probably make Royal Holloway his insurance out of all of them and go from there.
If I were him I'd choose one out of Durham, Bristol and Birmingham. I wouldn't go to Glasgow simply due to the fact that the degree is a year longer.

Did he do maths A level and is he looking for a course with much maths in it? If yes, he wants maths, Durham or Bristol, if not much maths Birmingham is good. My daughter wanted maths because she does Further maths, so has got Oxford and imperial. She did get an offer from Bristol too, we didn't like RH even though it is well rated, there is nothing much on offer in the locality to do in my opinion.
Reply 464
Original post by Shane Webb
He should probably make Royal Holloway his insurance out of all of them and go from there.
If I were him I'd choose one out of Durham, Bristol and Birmingham. I wouldn't go to Glasgow simply due to the fact that the degree is a year longer.

I really think Durham is the best out of those, followed by Bristol and royal holloway.. And then Glasgow and Birmingham.

Try not to base your choice on rankings because they are not particularly accurate imo.

Someone said living in London is more expensive, but royal holloway, despite being part of the university of London, isn't really in London so it's not an issue

Maybe Durham as firm, and royal Holloway as insurance? Saying that, they're all decent schools
Original post by GeoPaul
I really think Durham is the best out of those, followed by Bristol and royal holloway.. And then Glasgow and Birmingham.

Try not to base your choice on rankings because they are not particularly accurate imo.

Someone said living in London is more expensive, but royal holloway, despite being part of the university of London, isn't really in London so it's not an issue

Maybe Durham as firm, and royal Holloway as insurance? Saying that, they're all decent schools

I actually considered making Royal Holloway my firm choice but my Mum was adamantly against it. Mainly because one thing is my student loan is increased by 2 grand just by going there, and I think it is a lot dearer than the rest of the UK. There is also the problem of it being in small town meaning it's difficult to get part time work, maybe not difficult but it would be harder I imagine than say, Bristol.
The only advantage in terms of cost with RHUL is that you don't have to pay for transport. You also need to consider the fact that it's in a tiny town, and if you really want to live somewhere which isn't as great socially (I've heard something similar said about Durham but I'm not sure).
Out of his choices I think he'd probably be better going to Bristol or Durham. I firmed Birmingham but my reasons for going there are related to other stuff as well, not just the uni, and in retrospect I wish I applied to Bristol as well.
Original post by Oxfordians13
Did he do maths A level and is he looking for a course with much maths in it? If yes, he wants maths, Durham or Bristol, if not much maths Birmingham is good. My daughter wanted maths because she does Further maths, so has got Oxford and imperial. She did get an offer from Bristol too, we didn't like RH even though it is well rated, there is nothing much on offer in the locality to do in my opinion.

No, he isn't doing A level Maths, that's interesting about Durham and Bristol being maths heavy, is that really the case?
No, he isn't doing A level Maths, that's interesting about Durham and Bristol being maths heavy, is that really the case?

I am not sure about 'maths heavy' but when we went to Bristol, we had a 1 to 1 with the admissions tutor, we said we wanted a course that had maths. The lady said Bristol is known for having a quantitative course. At Durham you can choose to take Maths. When we asked at Birmingham and at Cardiff, maths was barely on the curriculum, so it just depends on your sons interests. We were looking for maths.

He isn't? Just out of interest, what do Durham ask for in terms of A level requirements? I was going to apply but for some reason was under the impressions that I couldn't if I lacked Physics and Chemistry.
What A levels does your son do?
Original post by Shane Webb
He isn't? Just out of interest, what do Durham ask for in terms of A level requirements? I was going to apply but for some reason was under the impressions that I couldn't if I lacked Physics and Chemistry.
What A levels does your son do?

He's doing Geology, Chemistry and English Lit, his offer is AAB
I am not sure about 'maths heavy' but when we went to Bristol, we had a 1 to 1 with the admissions tutor, we said we wanted a course that had maths. The lady said Bristol is known for having a quantitative course.At Durham you can choose to take Maths. When we asked at Birmingham and at Cardiff, maths was barely on the curriculum, so it just depends on your sons interests. We were looking for maths.

Would you say Leeds is quite maths heavy? I'm deciding who to firm between Durham and Leeds.
(edited 8 years ago)
He's doing Geology, Chemistry and English Lit, his offer is AAB

Is it chemistry they want then?
I reckon if the others are maths heavy, then he should maybe go for the wonderful Birmingham.
Reply 472
Original post by Inam97
Does anyone know if imperial would change my offer to study MSci Geology to MSci Geology and geophysics. I sent them an email really explicitly stating why. Plus I've studied maths and FM and studying AS physics (during my gap yr). am applying with achieved ALEVELs and have met their offer already and got an unconditional.

As long as you're in the department it doesn't matter what course, tell them at Christmas first term that you want to change and as long as you did well with programming in the first term they will generally let you. Don't worry about specific course titles at the start.
Hey guys! I am an EU student and I hold unconditional offers from all universities I've applied to. However, I can’t really decide whether I should go to Manchester or Southampton university. They both seem pretty good, I don’t really care about the cities, although I guess I like Manchester a little bit more. So, any advice?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by acepo
Hey guys! I am an EU student and I hold unconditional offers from all universities I applied to. However, I can’t really decide whether I should go to Manchester or Southampton university. They both seem pretty good, I don’t really care about the cities, although I guess I like Manchester a little bit more. So, any advice?

Both good universities, so you need to look in detail at the course. Southampton have the big oceanographic centre and use this facility in their teaching and modules and research. So this would make the course different than Manchester I would have thought.
Both good universities, so you need to look in detail at the course. Southampton have the big oceanographic centre and use this facility in their teaching and modules and research. So this would make the course different than Manchester I would have thought.

Yes, I am aware of Southampton's focus on marine research and I will definitely do my research about each course before I decide.
Besides, I have been looking at a league tables recently and they generally tend to agree that Manchester is probably a better university but they also agree that Southampton's geology course is better, thus ranked higher. What do you think of league tables?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey, i have recently become interested in the Geophysics and Meteorology course in Edinburgh. Problem is, I'm in AS and I know virtually nothing in it. I need advice and guidance, so, can I pm anyone?
Original post by fandom-queen
Hey, i have recently become interested in the Geophysics and Meteorology course in Edinburgh. Problem is, I'm in AS and I know virtually nothing in it. I need advice and guidance, so, can I pm anyone?

Not studying that course nor am I at Edinburgh but I have done basic Geophysics and Meteorology modules so you're welcome to PM me if I can be of help!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
Not studying that course nor am I at Edinburgh but I have done Geophysics and Meteorology modules so you're welcome to PM me if I can be of help!

Thank you!!
Original post by Plagioclase
Not studying that course nor am I at Edinburgh but I have done Geophysics and Meteorology modules so you're welcome to PM me if I can be of help!

What geophysics modules have you taken and to what level (1st, 2nd, 3rd year etc)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending