The Student Room Group

What is the best way to remember various steps involved in a maths techniques ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by James222
Its not A-levels and maybe thats why Im asking for tips

I am sorry.
I totally misunderstood ...
Original post by TeeEm
I am sorry.
I totally misunderstood ...

Is this entire site people subtly abusing other people?
Reply 22
Original post by Username002

b22.jpg
Reply 23

Actually it is far more a site where people blow smoke up each other's behinds telling themselves they are all real smart and just a little change in revision will take a U to an A*. And that they'll start tomorrow working hard because it's not too late but they'll then decide tomorrow that they'll start in earnest the day after that - and so on.

The reality being that a large fraction are just crap at maths or lazy and no amount of revision will get them anything above mediocrity or they'll never put any effort in.

I guarantee that all those threads where someone is doing abysmally and people come on telling them it'll be fine and they really can get an A - the people far more than not stay at getting C's and D's or even U's. There is no cure for thick or lazy or, even worse, both.
Reply 24
I understand the various processes now but all hell breaks loose when your revising 5 subjects simultaneously. I barely remember what stuff i made notes on 2 weeks ago. There isnt really much to 'understand' when it comes to doing stuff like Integration you just need to know the various steps

That's so fundamentally wrong on so many levels, but suit yourself.
Reply 25
I understand the various processes now but all hell breaks loose when your revising 5 subjects simultaneously. I barely remember what stuff i made notes on 2 weeks ago. There isn't really much to 'understand' when it comes to doing stuff like Integration you just need to know the various steps

If that is the case then you failed to understand the material in the first place.
Original post by etjayne
If that is the case then you failed to understand the material in the first place.

This is so ironic it hurts

Posted from TSR Mobile Edit: whoops quoted the wrong comment
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by etjayne
Actually it is far more a site where people blow smoke up each other's behinds telling themselves they are all real smart and just a little change in revision will take a U to an A*. And that they'll start tomorrow working hard because it's not too late but they'll then decide tomorrow that they'll start in earnest the day after that - and so on.

The reality being that a large fraction are just crap at maths or lazy and no amount of revision will get them anything above mediocrity or they'll never put any effort in.

I guarantee that all those threads where someone is doing abysmally and people come on telling them it'll be fine and they really can get an A - the people far more than not stay at getting C's and D's or even U's. There is no cure for thick or lazy or, even worse, both.

I don't think anyone is innately stupid without actual mental disabilities. I wasn't saying this person would be fine or that they were totally screwed. If they put the work in they could get an A* easily.
Reply 28
I don't think anyone is innately stupid without actual mental disabilities. I wasn't saying this person would be fine or that they were totally screwed. If they put the work in they could get an A* easily.

You have a lot to learn about life. I'd say a good 10% of the population are innately thick (without counting the mentally disabled) and probably 33% are not what you would call smart in any way whatsoever.

I doubt it has changed since I was a kid and I would always have said about 1/4 of my class at school were slow witted mouth-breathers who you just knew would never figure anything out in life and need hand holding through it.
Original post by etjayne
You have a lot to learn about life. I'd say a good 10% of the population are innately thick (without counting the mentally disabled) and probably 33% are not what you would call smart in any way whatsoever.

I doubt it has changed since I was a kid and I would always have said about 1/4 of my class at school were slow witted mouth-breathers who you just knew would never figure anything out in life and need hand holding through it.

So you're saying they are totally incapable of education?
They're stupid because they never learned, not because they can't learn.
Reply 30
So you're saying they are totally incapable of education?
They're stupid because they never learned, not because they can't learn.

I am saying a good percentage can't learn because they are too thick to learn anything beyond the simplest things. There are some who fall into the category you mention but more fall into the thick category.

There are an awful lot of your fellow citizens no matter how many times you tried to teach them could never solve a quadratic or even factorise a simple one. This is not news, it's been known for centuries.

I knew people in class at school who you could tell right away would never be able to learn beyond the most basic of things and would spend their lives trapped in a small industrial town either unemployed on benefits or doing the most menial of jobs that require no thinking. This is not some rara avis in our society.
Original post by etjayne
I am saying a good percentage can't learn because they are too thick to learn anything beyond the simplest things. There are some who fall into the category you mention but more fall into the thick category.

There are an awful lot of your fellow citizens no matter how many times you tried to teach them could never solve a quadratic or even factorise a simple one. This is not news, it's been known for centuries.

I knew people in class at school who you could tell right away would never be able to learn beyond the most basic of things and would spend their lives trapped in a small industrial town either unemployed on benefits or doing the most menial of jobs that require no thinking. This is not some rara avis in our society.

This is why worth in society should be based off of IQ...but let's not talk about that here.
The point I'm trying to make is that just because someone is flawed in some way, it does not entitle you to mock them for it.
Reply 32
This is why worth in society should be based off of IQ...but let's not talk about that here.
The point I'm trying to make is that just because someone is flawed in some way, it does not entitle you to mock them for it.

I don't usually mock the thick - but I will mock the immature and lazy who happen not to be inherently thick.

Too many appear on here whining about leaving things too late and can they go from a mock D to an A in two months. Some of them deserve mocking for being daft enough to piss away their time by being lazy and immature.

Was it really that difficult to be at least somewhat organised and to do some work before the last minute? Did they really mess about 18 months and only just realise they might have to pull their fingers out? I have little sympathy for those people. They have no work ethic and are too immature for university.
Original post by etjayne
I don't usually mock the thick - but I will mock the immature and lazy who happen not to be inherently thick.

Too many appear on here whining about leaving things too late and can they go from a mock D to an A in two months. Some of them deserve mocking for being daft enough to piss away their time by being lazy and immature.

Was it really that difficult to be at least somewhat organised and to do some work before the last minute? Did they really mess about 18 months and only just realise they might have to pull their fingers out? I have little sympathy for those people. They have no work ethic and are too immature for university.

Understandable.
Original post by etjayne

Like seriously, what is your problem? Why do you go around the site putting 17 and 18 year olds down when you're like 55? Shouldn't you already know better than to do that?
Reply 35
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Like seriously, what is your problem? Why do you go around the site putting 17 and 18 year olds down when you're like 55? Shouldn't you already know better than to do that?

Don't you get sick of the whiners who seemingly have no work ethic and come on here with long posts which can be summed up as "woe is me". If you've pissed away 19 months of your A levels and only just realised you are in trouble then you deserve a kick up the backside not the usual blowing smoke up their rear ends they get on here.

Now run along kid.
Reply 36
Understandable.

You know what the other problem is - it is often those least capable that do this. The really smart kids can get way with cramming in the last week or two and still get an A* - these getting D's and U's in mocks are not going to be getting A's anyway. So they should have known even more that they needed to be responsible and work at it.
Original post by etjayne
You know what the other problem is - it is often those least capable that do this. The really smart kids can get way with cramming in the last week or two and still get an A* - these getting D's and U's in mocks are not going to be getting A's anyway. So they should have known even more that they needed to be responsible and work at it.

I agree entirely. They do bad on a mock, feel bad for themselves and then don't go and revise...I mean what the actual ****?

No matter how bad your grades are, if you were getting a U, revised and you got an E, you're still better off.
Reply 38
I agree entirely. They do bad on a mock, feel bad for themselves and then don't go and revise...I mean what the actual ****?

No matter how bad your grades are, if you were getting a U, revised and you got an E, you're still better off.

Most of them if they put the work in over the next three months would probably pull up to a B. But you know what, most won't really do the work. They'll come on here for a shoulder to cry on and to hear some feel good rubbish but they'll laze around and get exactly what they deserve come results day.

People who genuinely want to work and want tips I'll share my experiences but many I wouldn't give the time of day to. They should go join the Army.
Original post by etjayne
Most of them if they put the work in over the next three months would probably pull up to a B. But you know what, most won't really do the work. They'll come on here for a shoulder to cry on and to hear some feel good rubbish but they'll laze around and get exactly what they deserve come results day.

People who genuinely want to work and want tips I'll share my experiences but many I wouldn't give the time of day to. They should go join the Army.

I can see some of your points and then others just make no sense whatsoever...

Quick Reply

Latest