The Student Room Group

BREXIT / Referendum - Fees for EU students???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dez
EU law says that a student from an EU country has to be given the same deal as a Home student would be. I get that. But I was under the impression that the situation we have of English students being charged £9k to study in Scotland was a result of the SNP/Scottish parliament legislation, not the EU. Since the EU law only applies to non-Home students, Scotland can (and does) discriminate amongst Home students, just not EU ones.

So it's the SNP that's responsible for the current discrimination, not the EU. Are you saying that's untrue? If so, source please. :smile:

Original post by Nigel Farage MEP
You have made the point I was making, EU law only applies to non-home students when it should apply to home students to make things fair. I do not support an EU law to prevent EU students being charged more than home students when at the same university, when it is likely more expensive to educate non home-students when the costs of sending paperwork abroad, language classes, and events are held for non-home students are counted; and there is an economic argument against the law involving a larger surplus of applicants.

But Scottish uni entry requirements for EU students are much higher than for UK students, discouraging EU applicants anyway.
Reply 21
So if a European student begins a 5-year undergraduate course in the UK, being on the Home Student fee scheme, would Brexit open up the possiblity for the university to charge the student as an International Student? Or does the student and the university "enter into an agreement" essentially guaranteeing the tuition fee scheme for the duration of the course? How safe can a European student feel accepting a place at an undergraduate course?

One certainly doesn't want to be in the situation of completing half a 5-year course on Home Student fees and then suddenly having to pay International Student fees to complete one's course because the UK decided to leave the EU.
Original post by jneill
But Scottish uni entry requirements for EU students are much higher than for UK students, discouraging EU applicants anyway.

I do not believe entry requirements discourage applicants in the same way higher fees do; if an applicant is intelligent the high entry requirements will add prestige, giving the university a boost.
Reply 23
Original post by soal
So if a European student begins a 5-year undergraduate course in the UK, being on the Home Student fee scheme, would Brexit open up the possiblity for the university to charge the student as an International Student? Or does the student and the university "enter into an agreement" essentially guaranteeing the tuition fee scheme for the duration of the course? How safe can a European student feel accepting a place at an undergraduate course?

One certainly doesn't want to be in the situation of completing half a 5-year course on Home Student fees and then suddenly having to pay International Student fees to complete one's course because the UK decided to leave the EU.

Nobody knows for sure. But probably won't apply to already enrolled students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
You have made the point I was making, EU law only applies to non-home students when it should apply to home students to make things fair.

I'm confused now. Are you saying the EU ought to introduce more legislation and force the UK to abolish devolution? Why should we be on the EU's case for this when it's Westminster/Holyrood that are responsible?

I do not support an EU law to prevent EU students being charged more than home students when at the same university, when it is likely more expensive to educate non home-students when the costs of sending paperwork abroad, language classes, and events are held for non-home students are counted; and there is an economic argument against the law involving a larger surplus of applicants.

I would say it's a mutually beneficial law, since it also enables UK students to study in the EU cheaply, which many already do. The extra cost is going to be pretty negligible since UK unis need to run these things for overseas (non-EU) students anyway; just having some extra attendance is not going to make a big difference to their budget.
Reply 25
Original post by soal

I imagine some agreement would be sorted out for already-enrolled students so that they either continue paying what they initially started with. When tuition fees have changed previously they've only applied to new students rather than existing ones.
I don't know the figures behind this but I wouldn't have thought England was attractive for EU students precisely because of the 9K tution fees, not when they can study in their home country for far less or free altogether.
threads like this make me angry
Someone asks a legitimately innocent question because they're worried, and all these right-wing, UKIP idiots crawl out of the darkness to blame the immigrants and the EU for backward rules.
What is wrong with people?!
Original post by lilacwanda28
threads like this make me angry
Someone asks a legitimately innocent question because they're worried, and all these right-wing, UKIP idiots crawl out of the darkness to blame the immigrants and the EU for backward rules.
What is wrong with people?!

Welcome to the internet.
Original post by Aceadria
Welcome to the internet.

I really hope they're joking.
Original post by lilacwanda28
I really hope they're joking.

Nope.
Original post by Aceadria
Nope.

Such a shame.
snip

If the UK left the EU, what do you think would happen to all those British students who want to (or have to) take a year abroad as part of their degree? The Erasmus+ scheme, paid for by the EU, gives grants to students studying abroad in Europe so that they can afford to support themselves. The EU also ensures British students don't have to pay tuition fees to their host university.
There should be fees for EU students because in Scotland EU students study for free but students from England, Wales, and Northern Ireland need to pay £9000 per year or the reduced amount Welsh students pay. In Wales EU students pay the same amount as Welsh students, but English, Northern Irish, and Scottish students pay £9000. Britain is in a disastrous situation when British students are being actively discriminated against when it comes to universities by being charged more to attend the same university than EU students.

Um was this actually in any way answering the question....
It is EU rules that EU students need to be charged the same as Scottish students, the complaint is not English students being charged £9000, but EU students being charged the same rate as the students of the country EU students choose to study in. It is more EU rules that prevents English students from be classified as EU students when choosing to study in Scotland, leading to English students being charged the English rates, not the Scottish rates.

Okay but it was Scotland's decision to not give non-Scottish home students the same deal.... So blame devolution then! It's Scotland that are discriminating against English students not the EU. So your issue isn't that English are charged 9k, you're just upset that EU students aren't??? So u don't want to make the situation better for English students you just want to make it worse for EU students. You sound like a jealous sibling who wants to break your sibling's toys because yours is broken.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending