The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Questions about Loughborough

Hi I'm considering firming loughborough but i have a few concerns/ queries.. any response to any of the questions would be greatly helpful! - okay so i know this may get asked lots but i am worried about the sporty atmosphere! I don't enjoy sports nor do i do any! Will i find it hard to fit in?

2 i have heard it has a large boy to girl ratio, and that there are a lot of 'lad' types there - is this true? It worries me as i am shy introvert naturally!

3) i am told loughborough has a big party reputation - does this seem to be true? I've looked at some old freshers timetables and they seem to be heavily focused on drinking and clubbing! Is there events for people who don't always want to drink or go out?

4) do any of thw halls have party reputations? I'm wanting somewhere with a mix of people and mixed atmosphere as i don't go out a lot but i still do go out ! A balance of drinking and none drinking/clubbing events is what I'm looking for i guess. and somewhwre relitavely quiet as i like my sleep hhaha- I'm looking at robert bakewell/rigg-rut? Do these halls have any specific reputations ?

5) i notice some halls flats are designated 'quiet' - can anyone tell me more about this? Are they still sociable flats?

6) do freshers share flats with 2nd and 3rd years?

7 after visiting campus i notice the union is quite far from the accom, is there a nightbus in place or do students have to walk home from the club?

8 as i said i don't do sports atm however I'm open to trying out a new sport perhaps. Are there beginners societies? Or as i imagine (especially with lboro"s sporting rep) are they mostly aimed at people with advanced skills?

9)finally, to students at lboro how has your experience been? (Especially those in the english dept as that"s the course I'm looking at) any positives? Negatives? - have you found lboro to be a friendly, inclusive supportive and safe place to study & live? (Basically what I'm looking for in a uni :smile: )

- sorry this is so long! Any question answered would be soooooo helpful! Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Sar_Grant
Hi I'm considering firming loughborough but i have a few concerns/ queries.. any response to any of the questions would be greatly helpful! - okay so i know this may get asked lots but i am worried about the sporty atmosphere! I don't enjoy sports nor do i do any! Will i find it hard to fit in?

2 i have heard it has a large boy to girl ratio, and that there are a lot of 'lad' types there - is this true? It worries me as i am shy introvert naturally!

3) i am told loughborough has a big party reputation - does this seem to be true? I've looked at some old freshers timetables and they seem to be heavily focused on drinking and clubbing! Is there events for people who don't always want to drink or go out?

4) do any of thw halls have party reputations? I'm wanting somewhere with a mix of people and mixed atmosphere as i don't go out a lot but i still do go out ! A balance of drinking and none drinking/clubbing events is what I'm looking for i guess. and somewhwre relitavely quiet as i like my sleep hhaha- I'm looking at robert bakewell/rigg-rut? Do these halls have any specific reputations ?

5) i notice some halls flats are designated 'quiet' - can anyone tell me more about this? Are they still sociable flats?

6) do freshers share flats with 2nd and 3rd years?

7 after visiting campus i notice the union is quite far from the accom, is there a nightbus in place or do students have to walk home from the club?

8 as i said i don't do sports atm however I'm open to trying out a new sport perhaps. Are there beginners societies? Or as i imagine (especially with lboro"s sporting rep) are they mostly aimed at people with advanced skills?

9)finally, to students at lboro how has your experience been? (Especially those in the english dept as that"s the course I'm looking at) any positives? Negatives? - have you found lboro to be a friendly, inclusive supportive and safe place to study & live? (Basically what I'm looking for in a uni :smile: )

- sorry this is so long! Any question answered would be soooooo helpful! Thanks :biggrin:

Hi Sar_Grant

Great news that you are considering making us your firm choice :biggrin: In answer to your questions:

1) Absolutely - although Loughborough has a great reputation for sports, you by no means have to be a sporty type to fit in here. Whilst there are lots of opportunities to get involved with sport on campus, lots of students choose not to and there is still loads to get involved in that isn't sport focused - you can check out our full list of clubs and societies here. If you do fancy trying a new sport there are lots to choose from and beginners are more than welcome - there are plenty of sports clubs/societies that are just formed of people with similar interests and are not necessarily experts, so you'd be able to join in on a really relaxed/social basis. There is something for everyone, whether you are an elite athlete, a complete beginner or not interested in sport at all.

2) You have nothing to worry about here. Although there is a slightly higher ratio of boys to girls it is not noticeable at all around campus, and there is a huge diversity of people studying here - it isn't true that it is exclusively 'laddish'. The social atmosphere at Loughborough is amazing and the sense of unity, pride and collective spirit across campus has come to be recognised as the 'Loughborough bubble'.

3) Whilst there is a great nightlife at Loughborough for those who want to get involved in it, there is no pressure to join in and there are lots of other people here with the same mindset as you so you definitely won't be alone. There is a huge variety of stuff to get involved in - take a look at the Loughborough Students' Union website for more info on various activities that are planned. In addition to this are all the clubs/societies mentioned above, too - many of these arrange socials and trips, too.

4) There aren't specific halls that are more/less known for having livelier reputations, as the intake changes every year and we try to get a balance of gender, course and year across our halls to maintain the sense of community. However, like you say the majority of our halls do have 'quiet room' options - you can check out our website for more info on which halls offer these rooms. Quiet flats are still very much part of the community and you will still be very much involved in hall life, but residents in quiet rooms are required to co-operate with the concept of restricting noise between 11pm and 8am.

5) Yes, there will be a mix of gender, year and courses across our halls.

6) All of our halls are within close walking distance to the union and the majority of halls are on campus. There is a free campus shuttle bus but this doesn't run a 24 hour service - you can see the timetable here. We do have a taxi firm on campus, too, should you need it, but most of our students tend to walk.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any more queries about studying/living at Loughborough :smile:

Amy
(edited 8 years ago)
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Quick Reply